Child Using Two Passports To Travel

I'm sure this question has been asked before . I'm traveling to a Australia next week with my son who has a Thai passport and a NZ passport ,. I want to know the procedure for using both and not having to apply a visa Thanks

You need to show both passports at check in to prove he does not need a visa to enter the country he is going to. You show the Thai passport to immigration. You enter and leave Australia on the NZ passport. You re-enter Thailand on the Thai passport.

Edited by roamer

Actually, you only need to show the NZ passport at check in, the Thai one to leave Thailand, the NZ one to enter australia, the Thai one to show at check in at australia when you leave (although either will do here) and the NZ one to exit immigration and the Thai one for immigration when you return to Thailand.

You must leave on the passport you entered Thailand with. If a normal exit they will use Thai passport at check-in as that is recorded as your travel document - they also show NZ passport to prove no visa is required. They then continue to use Thai passport at immigration control and get the return paperwork. For NZ they use that passport for entry/exit.

You need to show both passports at check in to prove he does not need a visa to enter the country he is going to. You show the Thai passport to immigration. You enter and leave Australia on the NZ passport. You re-enter Thailand on the Thai passport.

I do this trip often (Thai/OZ passports).

I tend to show both Thai and OZ passports at check-in in BKK at least, the OZ passport lets the airline know I don't need a visa for the final destination, the Thai passport so that the airline check in know they they need give me the Thai departure card to go into the Thai passport.

I tend to show both Thai and OZ passports at check-in in BKK at least, the OZ passport lets the airline know I don't need a visa for the final destination, the Thai passport so that the airline check in know they they need give me the Thai departure card to go into the Thai passport.

Probably easier just to ask for the departure cards. I usually have a stack at home and fill them in before I get to the airport to save time and messing around between check in and immigration.

Are you traveling alone with your child or is the mother also traveling with you?

If traveling alone, do take a copy of the birth certificate and a small note from teh mother giving you permission to travel abroad with the child + a signed copy of her ID-card with you. Under recent regulations airline/immigration can ask for this.

Are you traveling alone with your child or is the mother also traveling with you?

If traveling alone, do take a copy of the birth certificate and a small note from teh mother giving you permission to travel abroad with the child + a signed copy of her ID-card with you. Under recent regulations airline/immigration can ask for this.

Even if they both have NZ passports and the same family name????

Timatic, the big IATA database for entry regulations to all countries of the world now says this:

- When arriving in, or departing from Thailand, minors aged

under 16 yearsFor details, click here

Details:

under 16 years, traveling unaccompanied or without one or

both parents are required to hold a letter of consent from

the non traveling parent(s). Additionally, unaccompanied

minors are required to hold a copy of their birth

certificate.

The passport/nationality doesn't matter. Only if both parents are with the child.

Timatic, the big IATA database for entry regulations to all countries of the world now says this:

under 16 yearsFor details, click here

Details:

under 16 years, traveling unaccompanied or without one or

both parents are required to hold a letter of consent from

the non traveling parent(s). Additionally, unaccompanied

minors are required to hold a copy of their birth

certificate.

The passport/nationality doesn't matter. Only if both parents are with the child.

Thanks, thats good to know. A little drastic, although I am sure there must be a reason. Probably been some cases of split up couples taking the children overseas without the other parent's knowledge.

Probably easier just to ask for the departure cards. I usually have a stack at home and fill them in before I get to the airport to save time and messing around between check in and immigration.

All very true, though I usually advise this just so there is no potential to stuff things. People travelling for the first time using both passports tend to feel nervous and as we've seen posted on TV over the years, people stuffing up their kids entries and exits is something more common than you'd imagine.

when you book return tickets for a dual citizen child what passport number should you choose ?

also what happens if you change the childs name in just one country ?

when you leave thailand you want to make sure immigration stamp the thai passport so you can re-enter with no problems, so just present the thai passport .

i guess at airline check in they will want to see which ever passport ties in with the one you used for booking the tickets, they may ask you about visas etc but i have never been asked.

when you book return tickets for a dual citizen child what passport number should you choose ?

also what happens if you change the childs name in just one country ?

when you leave thailand you want to make sure immigration stamp the thai passport so you can re-enter with no problems, so just present the thai passport .

i guess at airline check in they will want to see which ever passport ties in with the one you used for booking the tickets, they may ask you about visas etc but i have never been asked.

For the ticket I would use the passport number for the location you are visiting as the airline will be checking that the passport matches the ticket and that the passenger is cleared to enter that country using that passport.

As a general rule I use the Thai passport for entering and leaving Thailand, The Thai passport for visiting any ASEAN country as they wont need a visa and the 'Western' passport for visiting any other location as there are usually less restrictions on entry.

I'm sure this question has been asked before . I'm traveling to a Australia next week with my son who has a Thai passport and a NZ passport ,. I want to know the procedure for using both and not having to apply a visa Thanks

Just let immigration thailand know your kid have 2 passports next time you do your 90 days. After that, enter/exit thailand with thai pp and enter australia with NZ pp. If counter at thai airport asks to see the entry/exit stamp of visited country, just show the NZ pp. Usually they don't ask unless there's concern with the adult's pp.

One poster mentioned birth cert, that is a valid point cos some countries do want to check. I was asked before.