skippybangkok

Sounds like the operating system is running something in the background that is preventing it closing. Assuming the copy of win7 is genuine then:

Unistall any dodgy apps, toolbars, addons etc.

make sure you have antivirus software updated and installed and run a complete system scan.

do a system clean up (tools, applications menu)

do a system defrag

try again.

If not then adjust you laptop settings so that when you close the lid the computer shuts down or goes to sleep.

Skype will not shut down if you press the ‘red x’ at the top right of the Title Bar, or selecting ‘Close’ from the File Menu, it will just minimize to the task bar.

Annoying “Feature” that seems to be implemented to avoid accidental shutdown, I guess?

As mentioned above, if you want to shut down Skype, you need to right click on the Skype icon on the Task Bar, and select ‘Quit Skype’.

Skype will not shut down if you press the 'red x' at the top right of the Title Bar, or selecting 'Close' from the File Menu, it will just minimize to the task bar.

Annoying "Feature" that seems to be implemented to avoid accidental shutdown, I guess?

As mentioned above, if you want to shut down Skype, you need to right click on the Skype icon on the Task Bar, and select 'Quit Skype'.

It's not just Skype, and it's not just Skype on Windows. Yahoo messenger takes a lot of clicks to get it to shut down, and on my Android Galaxy Tab I have to have a separate app to shut Skype down completely, it even evades the task manager.

It seems these IM and VOIP services consider themselves so indispensable that they go to considerable lengths to prevent any possibility of a user 'accidentally' shutting them down and being 'out of touch' for more than a millisecond.

considering that skype is essentially a peer to peer service, it would male sense that the company tries to keep its client open. If everyone were to use skype only for the time they are actually talking or chatting, there would not be enough clients open at any given time to offer decent service.

considering that skype is essentially a peer to peer service, it would male sense that the company tries to keep its client open. If everyone were to use skype only for the time they are actually talking or chatting, there would not be enough clients open at any given time to offer decent service.

Yes, that would be the equivalent of only turning your mobile phone on when you want to make a call out.

Skype should, and is I find, just as easy to close.

For the OP, if you really can't get out of Skype very easily, would it suit your purposes to show your Skype status as "Offline" instead?

Edited by Bpuumike

Hi Guys,

For those of you who are annoyed by having Skype pinned to the taskbar, but can not remove it, there is actually a solution to this.

In Skype, go to "Tools->Options->Advanced". You will see a flag in here which is selected called "Keep Skype in the taskbar while I'm signed in". If you deselect it and save, now when you close (X) Skype it will no longer appear pinned to the taskbar in Win7, but Skype will still open under your Hidden Icons

Cheers ;)

Edited by legstrap

Hi Guys,

For those of you who are annoyed by having Skype pinned to the taskbar, but can not remove it, there is actually a solution to this.

In Skype, go to "Tools->Options->Advanced". You will see a flag in here which is selected called "Keep Skype in the taskbar while I'm signed in". If you deselect it and save, now when you close (X) Skype it will no longer appear pinned to the taskbar in Win7, but Skype will still open under your Hidden Icons

Cheers ;)

Do you have a Dunce hat for me to use on the week-end?

thx

In windows 7 ,left click on the arrow in the taskbar and choose customize > skype> behaviors > show icon and notifications,after that you can just right click on the icon which appears then on the right side of the bar and choose quit.

Edited by janverbeem

Hi Guys,

Cheers ;)

I never would have found it , thanks :jap:

I ditched skype about two months ago now use gmail call for calling much better than skype in my opinion.

http://www.google.co...ce=en_US-gizmo5

Google voice not available in Thailand

It works for me in Thailand

This has come up several times before. It seems only a very few can use Google Voice or Gmail call in Thailand. Thailand is one of the 13 countries where it is not officially supported. Most can't use it unless they use a VPN to get a IP address in a supported country.

Consider yourself one of the lucky. ;)

Edited by BB1950

Another annoying issue with Skype, since couple of days when i open skype the skype home screen has ad on it asking if i want to connect skype to facebook. There is link at the bottom for no thanks, i don't want to link to facebook but when you click it nothing happens... It just reloads the ad and asking again to link....

Maybe it is time to move on to something else...

Have contacted Skype and it looks like simple uninstall and re-install won't do the trick. They recommend to manually delete application folders and registry as well. See instructions from Skype below.

To resolve this problem, we recommend that you follow the instructions below to completely uninstall Skype and then reinstall the latest version.

Close Skype completely.

To do this, right-click the Skype icon in the system tray at the bottom of the screen. Select Quit.

Note about your Contact List

There is no need to backup your Contact List. They are stored centrally on Skype’s server. You can access them from anywhere, providing you sign in to Skype with the same Skype Name and password. You can see a detailed list of your calls and SMS messages at:

https://secure.skype.com/store/myaccount/history.html

Save your chat history, if you want to.

• Click Start and run….
  • Type %appdata%\skype and click OK. Your account folder appears in a new window.
  • Open the account folder with your Skype Name.
  • Copy the Chat sync folder to another safe place. For example, copy it to your Desktop, burn it to a CD, or save it on a USB memory stick or card.

Uninstall Skype.

• Click Start and run…..
  • Type appwiz.cpl and click OK. A function called Add or Remove Programs appears – it is part of your Control Panel.
  • Scroll down and select Skype. Click Remove.

Delete the Skype application folder.

• Click Start and Run….
  • Type %appdata% and click OK. A new window appears showing the Skype folder.
  • Delete the whole Skype folder.

Delete entries from the Registry Editor.

• Click Start and run…..
  • Type regedit and click OK. The Registry Editor window appears.
  • Select Edit from the top menu and click Find. Type Skype into the Find what field.
  • Right-click on the Skype entry that appears in the search results and click Delete.
  • Repeat steps 3 and 4 until there are no entries found.

Install the latest version of Skype.

You can find this at http://www.skype.com/go/getskype-full-56

Restore your chat history, if you want to.

• Quit Skype. To do this, right-click the Skype icon in the system tray at the bottom of the screen. Select Quit.
  • Click Start and run….
  • Type %appdata%\skype and click OK.
  • Open the account folder with your Skype Name.
  • Replace the folder Chat sync with the folder that you saved to safe place.

Using it for years, never an issue, after skype upgraded itself somehow, I can't log in anymore! :whistling:

this login screen comes up, but none of the buttons is activated, no matter what, they seem "frozen".

Can only log into their website via browser... :rolleyes: can't use it anymore.. :bah:

Edited by Samuian