Safe Deposit Box

connda

I'm having a difficult time finding a safe deposit box. All the banks I've been to just say "No have, no have."

Does anyone know of a bank within Chiang Mai or Lamphun provinces that currently have safe deposit boxes for rent?

Thanks!

Oh wow! We've covered this topic just about every year and usually someone comes up with some obscure location, but you don't really want have your safe deposit box outside your usual bank, do you? Just doesn't seem to be a normal priority of banks here.

We ended up buying a safe and having the building handyman screw it into the wall, where you have to have access to the safe to undo the screws. Sure, not full-proof, but much better than nothing. Several stores on Chang Moi Road sell safes, near the rattan/wicker furniture stores.

Just be sure to hide the access key that comes with the safe to use when the battery dies. One person I know kept that key in his underwear/sock drawer right under the safe. The maid found it, took a few items from the safe and returned the key. He didn't know he had a problem for quite a while since they were items he used infrequently.

Siam Commercial Bank near night market. Check the requirements, they told me that I needed an account there, which I opened w/500 bht and also a term deposit of at least 200,000 bht but this number kept changing and the interest for length of time that they suggested and I chose was 2.6% for 3 mnths (works well retirement visa) came back after I gave them the money at 1.? % and they said the higher rate was for Thai only. I was there twice to figure out the details with the person from that dept. and had them write all the figures down for me so there would be no confusion but the contract which was in Thai had no figures on it which of course they said don't worry about. Once I showed my displeasure they said I didn't have to go thru with it and could have my money back. The funny part is after I opened the saving account the girl she just gave me a box w/o a term dep. account.

Oh wow! We've covered this topic just about every year and usually someone comes up with some obscure location, but you don't really want have your safe deposit box outside your usual bank, do you? Just doesn't seem to be a normal priority of banks here.

We ended up buying a safe and having the building handyman screw it into the wall, where you have to have access to the safe to undo the screws. Sure, not full-proof, but much better than nothing. Several stores on Chang Moi Road sell safes, near the rattan/wicker furniture stores.

Just be sure to hide the access key that comes with the safe to use when the battery dies. One person I know kept that key in his underwear/sock drawer right under the safe. The maid found it, took a few items from the safe and returned the key. He didn't know he had a problem for quite a while since they were items he used infrequently.

Or buy a more expensive safe that doesn't need a master key as it has a combination lock.

I was in Kasikorn Bank main branch about 5 weeks ago. While I was there I inquired about a box. The girl put me in the queue. She showed me the book. There are 68 people ahead of me at that branch alone! She said that she doesn't believe that there is a Kasikorn branch anywhere in C.M. that has a box available. Maybe give Kasikorn a pass.

I've tried all the banks near where I live close to Meechok Plaza, as well as at the shopping centers. No luck. Some of these branches are so small that the safe must be very small and only a few boxes available?

A Thai friend of mine told me that his elderly Chinese parents have about 20 boxes in banks around town; filled with gold and amulets, and that it is common for people to have multiple boxes. I guess that is why there is a shortage.

I live near the train station so this branch was not close by but the box was available. I have an account at the thapae branch and they put me on a list nearly 2 years ago. I really wonder if they really call anyone. I strongly suspect that if I walked in just when a box became available, they would give it to me. It would be a lot easier then going to a list and call people to see if they are interested.