Amx Gold Card

I have AMX Gold card. Can go to Amx in Bangkock(IBM bldging) and write out a check for up to $2500.00.They give you Thai Baht or I can buy $2500.00 in US travelers checks and give them 1% in cash.Any time I need 100,000 baht I just write a check doesn't cost anything.Can do this once and have to wait 3wks(for check to clear) before you do it again. :o:D:D

Have you noticed what exchange rate they give you when provide Baht?

Used to be able to cash check with Amex Gold at any Bangkok Bank with a foreign exchange desk to obtain travelers check so you probably can still do that if you want TC. But then you get hit for the 1% plus the stamp fee for each when you cash it. There are not many free rides when dealing with banks. :o

Have you noticed what exchange rate they give you when provide Baht? 

Used to be able to cash check with Amex Gold at any Bangkok Bank with a foreign exchange desk to obtain travelers check so you probably can still do that if you want TC.  But then you get hit for the 1% plus the stamp fee for each when you cash it.  There are not many free rides when dealing with banks. :o

It's Siam commercial bank and the rate was good.The bank is next to the AMX windows

I have an AMEX Platinum Card which I have never used (emergencys only but never needed..etc) but is it any good?

Always get by with the good old N/W...no charges or nuffing...

I had an AMEX Platinum issued in Thailand, but cancelled it last year cause the annual fee was something like Baht25,000 and it didnt make sense because I was only always using my Visa and MC.....

r u happy paying such a high annual fee if you are not using your AMEX Platinum??

Edited by trajan

For Information ONLY... :o

FEES

No annual fee is currently charged for the running of the Account. However, if in the 12 months preceding each Card Anniversary Date the total value of Transactions (excluding interest, charges and Balance Transfer) on your Account is less than ฃ500, we will charge you an Account servicing charge of ฃ15.

This charge does not count as a transaction when we calculate whether the account servicing charge is payable.

https://www66.americanexpress.com/eapp/EApp...10=&sourcecode=[Ljava.lang.String