Shipping Your Auto Overseas

gbt71fa

Do a Search here on importing cars and you'll see it's a real pain in the a$$ and you could be like Tuk Tuk Mike and lose your vehicle to the customs boys. Then again Thaksin says there is no corruption in Thailand, so that should be comforting. :o:D:D

In other words, unless you're rolling in dough, then don't do it. Either sell you vehicle or leave it with someone you trust or store it and then buy something here.

Do a Search here on importing cars and you'll see it's a real pain in the a$$ and you could be like Tuk Tuk Mike and lose your vehicle to the customs boys. Then again Thaksin says there is no corruption in Thailand, so that should be comforting.  :o  :D  :D

In other words, unless you're rolling in dough, then don't do it. Either sell you vehicle or leave it with someone you trust or store it and then buy something here.

:D I was afraid of that. Man, I love that truck-a 2003 chevy silverado with extended cab...thanks for advice :D

Hi GBT

Dont do it, if it is a really nice vehicle i am sure one of the big wigs in customs will want it.

Then you are screwed, the price will increase everytime you agree the last one, i went several times to the port to see my car and what they had done to it.

I had the spare keys so opened it up and was dismayed to see the sterio system ripped out, i just wanted to drop a match inside and burn it so the scum could not have it, only problem is that if i did that they would deported me that day.

As i said before your only chance if you import a nice car is to let the license expire and wait for your vehicle to go to auction, they dont expect a farang to go there.

Mike.

Tuktuk Mike's story is a VERY good reason to consider not bringing a vehicle to Thailand. When my wife and I moved here in 2002, we thought about bringing our 96' Dodge Grand Caravan SE from Florida. However, we learned that the import taxes are ridiculous plus the crossover tube had busted causing the engine to overheat on several occassions. We ended up selling it to one of our neighbors. You're much better off getting something over here instead. Those guys at the port are dirtbags. Even when we tried to claim our books and other belongings we had shipped over they attempted to scam us. Luckily, their boss came over and ordered them to give us the stuff.

Besides all of the problems with Customs already mentioned, i dont see much sense in importing a left hand drive vehicle. Although i dont think the Silverado is available here there is a good range of smart looking pick-ups available at very reasonable prices.

I had a very nice 1997 Mini Cooper S when living in the UK and desperately wanted to import it when I first moved here. However somebody on the forum advised me that it would get stolen in seconds when it was finally on the roads.

After reading tuktukmike's story, I only just realised what that person

meant by "seconds" - it'd be nicked the minute it got of the boat! Nice people, those "officials"... :o

Ah well, ended up selling it to a girl in NZ for a very good price in the end. Needless to say, getting it into NZ wasn't anywhere near the hassle it appears to be to import it here.