NACC Investigates Transport Min's Permanent Secretary's Assets After Being Robbed of Bt200 Million

webfact

Supoj to face graft probe linked to burglary

The Nation

30170155-01_big.jpg

The National Anti Corruption Commission is to launch a graft probe against Transport permanent secretary Supoj Saplom on suspicion of unusual wealth, NACC member Klanarong Chantik said on Friday.

The probe is in connection with the testimonies of two burglar suspects who confessed to stealing Bt200 million in cash after breaking into Supoj's home, Klanarong said.

He said the probe would focus on three issues - whether Supoj filed false asset statement, whether he stashed ill-gotten gains and whether he was involved in irregularities.

Reacting to the probe, Supoj said he was smeared by the burglar suspects who claimed he might have hidden as mush as Bt1 billion at his home.

"The claim to have stolen Bt200 million is not true because I don't have that much money," he said.

He said it was impossible to hide Bt200 million or Bt1 billion at his home.

In earlier reports, he gave the police statement that he found Bt5 million cash missing following the break-in of his home.

Police held a press conference to unmask two of five suspects who had Bt2.8 million between them at the time of arrest.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-11-18

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BRIBERY SCANDAL

Supoth denies scandal

The Nation

Supoth Sublom, permanent secretary to the Ministry of Transport, on Friday flatly denied the speculation that he took bribery and stashed cash worth hundreds of million inside his house.

It is the first time he commented on the scandal sparked by reports that a thief took about Bt200 million cash from his home and testified that Bt700 million or Bt1 billion more is inside the house. The National Anti-Corruption Commission also resolved to launch an investigation.

Supoth said that this scandal is to discredit him, adding that the stolen cash is the dowry and cash gifts for his newly-wed daughter. He said he had no idea of the exact amount.

"I didn’t stash cash at home. Just imagine how you will stash cash worth Bt1 billion. Where is the Bt200 million amount? It will take 200 bundles of Bt1,000 banknotes to make up the amount. And the thief said he took Bt200 million. If there was Bt1 billion, why didn’t him take it all?" he said.

Saying that he is not officially approached for an investigation by the NACC, he is ready for that. He insisted that he did not produce any special order in bidding processes, either at the State Railway of Thailand or Mass Transit Rapid Authority of Thailand where he served as chairman. He also insisted that he never made direct contact with private companies and that government project contracts are awarded in line with the process.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-11-18

This story is so dodgy. 200 million Baht does seem like a lot of money to have inside the house. Then again, he did report having 5 million Baht in cash stolen. I think anyone with 5 million in cash at home is probably going to be a crook. Either that or he's a person who sits around all day eating flies repeating that they don't trust banks.

Lucky burglars. Of all the houses they could have burgled, they hit the house with millions of Baht inside. Nothing dodgy there of course.

As for him being found guilty of corruption, I won't hold my breath. It will end up being one big understanding without any details.

"I didn't stash cash at home. Just imagine how you will stash cash worth Bt1 billion. Where is the Bt200 million amount? It will take 200 bundles of Bt1,000 banknotes to make up the amount. And the thief said he took Bt200 million. If there was Bt1 billion, why didn't him take it all?" he said.

Because him could not carry that many more bundles, blink.gif Him not elephant. ( Ugh, whats with the logic?)

Edited by FOODLOVER

Most normal people don't have 5 million in cash too at home.

Besides mob-bosses and others involved in shady dealings.

Let's not forget that Yingluck said she had Bt13 Million in cash on her asset declaration.

http://www.thaivisa....set+declaration

Well, Yes, but is it 'stashed' in her house? If in a bank, it could of course be verified for tax purposes AND subject to 'investigation', but we all KNOW why she came to be 'unusually wealthy'. If in her home, likely blatantly 'ill gotten gains'.

But this guy's a crook, (kept in house, not 'declared'), same as the rest of them. Doesn't take much figuring out does it.

Edited by silsburyhill

Let's not forget that Yingluck said she had Bt13 Million in cash on her asset declaration.

Well, Yes, but is it 'stashed' in her house? If in a bank, it could of course be verified for tax purposes AND subject to 'investigation', but we all KNOW why she came to be 'unusually wealthy'. If in her home, likely blatantly 'ill gotten gains'.

But this guy's a crook, (kept in house, not 'declared'), same as the rest of them. Doesn't take much figuring out does it.

If you look at the asset declaration, you'll see many more millions declared in various types of bank accounts. This was listed as "cash." Of course, it doesn't mean it's kept in her house. But I don't think it would fit in her handbag... that would be a lot of "walking-around" money.

If you look at the asset declaration, you'll see many more millions declared in various types of bank accounts. This was listed as "cash." Of course, it doesn't mean it's kept in her house. But I don't think it would fit in her handbag... that would be a lot of "walking-around" money.

I didn't meant to imply Yingluck's cash being kept in bank accounts more legit than this guy keeping it in his house. Everyone KNOWS Yingluck = Shinawatra = Extraordinarily Wealthy. But who is this guy's family? And why did he keep that amount of cash in his home? And how did the burglars know ...

"Wedding gift" - now where have I heard that before? <_<

How recently was the wedding, in the last few days, or months even? aren't gifts and dowries normally given AT / DURING the event?:ermm:

What percentage of his annual salary would even B5 million represent?:huh:

BRIBERY SCANDAL

Supoth denies scandal

The Nation

Supoth said that this scandal is to discredit him, adding that the stolen cash is the dowry and cash gifts for his newly-wed daughter.

She must have been quite a catch.

Dammit, beat me to it.

I've read some lame reasons being given over the last few years for something that doesn't ring true, but that's a topper.

Can any of the rich TV members give me an idea how high a pile of 1000 x 1000 Baht notes would be? I only got 20 at hand, not enough for a good extrapolation.:D

Just curious how many duffel bags they'd need to carry that 200 Million.

Edited by longtom

With this amount of cash just laying around as petty cash its no wonder that everyone, including farangs want to be associated with Thaskin and the red shirts. Hell, Mr Amsterdam even I am willing to join the circus for the right price.

Edited by waza

"Wedding gift" - now where have I heard that before? <_<

How recently was the wedding, in the last few days, or months even? aren't gifts and dowries normally given AT / DURING the event?:ermm:

What percentage of his annual salary would even B5 million represent?:huh:

According to The Other Paper, the burglary happened Saturday night while he was away at his daughter's wedding. National police chief Pol Gen Priewpan Damapong went to the scene of the crime.

That was written on the 14th.

"I didn't stash cash at home. Just imagine how you will stash cash worth Bt1 billion. Where is the Bt200 million amount? It will take 200 bundles of Bt1,000 banknotes to make up the amount. And the thief said he took Bt200 million. If there was Bt1 billion, why didn't him take it all?" he said.

Because him could not carry that many more bundles, blink.gif Him not elephant. ( Ugh, whats with the logic?)

Didn't you watch the movie where the burglar dove a few Austin Mini to steal gold bars?

What the movie call? Italian jobs or something.

Don't know but it seems to me 5 million baht in 1,000 baht note would be quite a pile. That would be 5,000 notes and 200 million would be 200,000 notes.

Well I have no doubt that he has money taken by illegal sources but that much in his house and how would they carry it all off did they have a truck?

Sounds to me like he pis-ed the wrong people off.

The initial report implicated 4 more burglars who are still on the loose. (one being the boss). Maybe it takes 6 to burglar a house and carry out 200 million or 5 million or 700 + million.

The believably of statements made by the burglars, the victim, and the police may rank up there with ghost stories and the virgin, doctor degree holding lady who married me for love and companionship.

shocking to hear a thai minister could be involved in any corruption,.............. i refuse to believe this story , and im sure i will be proved right in my belief

Not a minister, just a lowly permanent secretary in the transport ministry (not an elected position). :rolleyes:

A former boss of my wife was burgled 2 years ago. The thieves knew were the safe was.

They carried off 10million in cash and a major part of his wife's gold.

There are wealthy Thais who keep large amount of cash at home.

However, a burglar claiming to have taken 200mil? Yeah, right...

Where is the evidence?

This is the guy that oversaw the opening of bidding for 2 contracts worth a combined THB 59.1 billion.

THB 25.9 billion for a 13km rail line linking Bangkok & Samutpakarn, and THB 33.21 billion to build a 12 km extension line to Saphan Mai in north Bangkok.

And that is just in January 2011.

;)

Edited by Payboy

This is the guy that oversaw the opening of bidding for 2 contracts worth a combined THB 59.1 billion.

THB 25.9 billion for a 13km rail line linking Bangkok & Samutpakarn, and THB 33.21 billion to build a 12 km extension line to Saphan Mai in north Bangkok.

And that is just in January 2011.

;)

So with today's figures of 30% corruption tax on 60 billion is 24 billion baht or ........... wait that can't be right. blink.gif How many dollars?

Seems if the loser is certainly knowledgeable about the capacity/ volume of space for such a sum of money.

Perhaps he's a hobby mathameticain and works on figures for fun ?whistling.gif

Edited by siampolee