Canvas And Bamboo Blinds

Jobo

Been looking for real canvas blinds for some time. All that seems available are what the Thais call Canvas but are in fact PVC or plastic.

Anyone know where there are Thai made canvas fabric suppliers or manufacturers using real canvas to make blinds?

This is for outdoor use.

Bamboo blinds would also be suitable as will be using for sun and rain protection.

I got some nice and inexpensive bamboo blinds at Index for sun protection - They look great, I hung them on the 3rd floor balcony Thai style...

The one drawback is that the rain has turned them black from mold (I think any bamboo blind will do the same)

I would like to replace with brown/khaki canvas or even custom wood shutters...

Edited by sfokevin

If you head down Chiang Moi rd, on the left hand side at the first junction, there's a bamboo / rattan furniture shop selling blinds made from some kind of wood. Very thin strips. Varous sizes or made to measure. They do let light through, but are great for outside, as you can still see through them, cutting the sun out enough to sit behind. I've got some that have been in use for 8 years. If you do get them, best to replace the pull rope & add a couple more pulleys, available from Global House. They go up & down better then.....

If you head down Chiang Moi rd, on the left hand side at the first junction, there's a bamboo / rattan furniture shop selling blinds made from some kind of wood. Very thin strips. Varous sizes or made to measure. They do let light through, but are great for outside, as you can still see through them, cutting the sun out enough to sit behind. I've got some that have been in use for 8 years. If you do get them, best to replace the pull rope & add a couple more pulleys, available from Global House. They go up & down better then.....

Looks like this is the best option so far. Do yours get subjected to constant sun and rain over the year?

I have some of these on some inside windows and never thought about that option for outside. BTW it is not real wood as far as I can tell but looks good anyway

What about getting something made up using shade cloth that is used on Plant Nursery Shade houses. It will not rot for a very long time and with a dark green black mould will not be all that visible , plus you can soak in a vinigar solution to get rid of the mould . Big C sell some crappy stuff but there should be a source someehere else . I have bought my own from Oz for sun curtians on the balcony.

Looks like this is the best option so far. Do yours get subjected to constant sun and rain over the year?

I have some of these on some inside windows and never thought about that option for outside. BTW it is not real wood as far as I can tell but looks good anyway

They get the sun all afternoon, all year round. They get wet if I forget to roll them up :whistling: . I like them because they take the glare off, provide some shade & you can see through them. The ones I'm talking about are real wood.

Edited by MESmith