Pattaya Cost Of Living Keeps Going Higher

gguy

It seems most western restaurants have raised prices by 15 to 25% in past couple of months. Probably a combination of high season and flooding problems.

The bars on Walking Street keep raising prices. A bottle of beer is about 125 Baht.

Rents and utilities have remained stable, at least of now.

I don't know how retired people make it.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Like anywhere.

Seriously, who says you need to eat in high end western restaurants every night or go to tourist bars every night? Do retirees in Cleveland do that? I realize some people think that's suffering, but trust me, most long term residents wouldn't.

Edited by Jingthing

It seems most western restaurants have raised prices by 15 to 25% in past couple of months. Probably a combination of high season and flooding problems.

The bars on Walking Street keep raising prices. A bottle of beer is about 125 Baht.

Rents and utilities have remained stable, at least of now.

Easy...eventually they die.

The majority of retirees here have learned to adapt. They certainly won't be found drinking in bars in Walking Street or eating in the high end restaurants. Not often anyway. I went back to the UK in June for my yearly return, to catch up with friends and family and couldn't believe how costs there have escalated. A very ordinary meal at a local restaurant cost me over, the equivalent of, 2,000 baht. Petrol and diesel are double the cost here and electricity and gas likewise. I still have a home near London and the local government tax on my house amounts to the equivalent of 120,000 baht a year.

Most long term residents know where to get bang for their baht.

You can still get 45 baht draught beers and 50 baht bottles in bars every bit as good as the ones charging 125 baht a bottle.

There are also many places that serve decent food without charging the earth.

if you're on a two week holiday it doesn't matter so much whether you get a good price on everything you purchases you're out for a good time and for the most part not counting the pennies.

If you're here long term experience cuts costs you get to know the town and where the best deals are.

I assume you dont live here,who goes to bars in walking street to drink? only tourists ,if we are retired here and especially if you have a familly how often do you go to western tourist restaurants? those of us who live here eat at home or when out at more modest eateries unless its a special occasion .to be honest prices have risen ,but not a lot especially compared to how high they have gone in Britain judging by my trip home earlier this year.

Seriously, who says you need to eat in high end western restaurants every night or go to tourist bars every night? Do retirees in Cleveland do that? I realize some people think that's suffering, but trust me, most long term residents wouldn't.

Exactly. the best thing I did was buy a slow cooker and fill it with cheap meat & vegies from the markets, cheap and healthy and taaasty, better than cat food even, I think..

If you were in your home country would you go down town every night?

Most long term residents know where to get bang for their baht.

You can still get 45 baht draught beers and 50 baht bottles in bars every bit as good as the ones charging 125 baht a bottle.

Better go on Walking Street if you had to pay these prices at your places!

Hallo on Walking street - by example - has a 29 baht draught beer from 8pm to 1am :)

Looks like some old expats like looking nice ladies dancing while drinking cheap beer...

and always a cheap place for everything on Walking Street!

I have just returned from Pattaya last time I was there was three month's ago. I estimate that price's have gone up by between 20/40% beer's food ect. As usual 80% of bar's empty, traffic increased by 100+% but that might be down to the flood's in BKK. Yesterday "Sunday" day time the traffic was solid on beach rd right back up to the Dolphin R/A.

thaimate.

re ... prices have risen ,but not a lot especially compared to how high they have gone in Britain judging by my trip home earlier this year.

i noticed the same in april

petrol in england ... then @ 135 a litre ... now ?

petrol here .. 40 baht or about 85 pence a litre : )

dave2

post-42592-0-22416000-1321926375_thumb.j

post-42592-0-69316100-1321926439_thumb.j

thaimate.

re ... prices have risen ,but not a lot especially compared to how high they have gone in Britain judging by my trip home earlier this year.

i noticed the same in april

petrol in england ... then @ 135 a litre ... now ?

petrol here .. 40 baht or about 85 pence a litre : )

dave2

And if you use Gasohol91 its only 31 baht a litre. :D

Hallo on Walking street - by example - has a 29 baht draught beer from 8pm to 1am

Looks like some old expats like looking nice ladies dancing while drinking cheap beer...

+1

I really got wasted over here a few days ago and spent around 200 baht :P

Hallo on Walking street - by example - has a 29 baht draught beer from 8pm to 1am

+1

I really got wasted over here a few days ago and spent around 200 baht :P

what ,on 7 half pints ? :giggle:

+1

I really got wasted over here a few days ago and spent around 200 baht

what ,on 7 half pints ?

I had some Hong Thong whiskey ( the 92baht / bottle ) before i went there, so it might have been the combination of those ;)

Note: i am sorry for removing emoticons in the original posts. The forum tells me I have to be a member for 72 hours to post links and it sees the emoticons in original posts as a link to an image in thaivisa.com...

+1

I really got wasted over here a few days ago and spent around 200 baht

what ,on 7 half pints ?

I had some Hong Thong whiskey ( the 92baht / bottle ) before i went there, so it might have been

yep that would work

Leave WS to the tourists and rubberneckers. No shortage of places to drink beer and eat good food, why pay more? Where do you eat and drink at home? In tourist joints?

All I know is WS has become a dumping ground for package tourists from Russia, India, & Iran. I will sometimes go to Beer Garden, but that is as far as I like to venture down WS.

I enjoy visiting bars on Soi Boukow as you can now get the same thing as WS but without the mass tourists, hookah odors, and high prices.

I first came in 2004. Yeah, falang food has crept up. Rents have crept up. Beer at bars has crept up. Baht bus no problem. Bus fares no problem. Plan tickets have crept up. But biggest increase has really been the exchange rate. In 2004, 44 baht for 1 USD. Today, 31 baht for 1 USD.

I first came in 2004. Yeah, falang food has crept up. Rents have crept up. Beer at bars has crept up. Baht bus no problem. Bus fares no problem. Plan tickets have crept up. But biggest increase has really been the exchange rate. In 2004, 44 baht for 1 USD. Today, 31 baht for 1 USD.

Condo prices have crept up significantly. Hopefully long term pensioners etc have made plans regarding their lodging as Rent will start creeping up in line with hotel prices.

Pattaya is changing fast! and its going to catch many off guard to be sure.

Agreed, the real killer for most of us that are on modest incomes has been the 30% drop in the value of our home currencies against the baht.

You can still eat well, drink beer most nights and indulge in the odd wrestle with one of the natives very cheaply, if you know your way around.

You can still eat well, drink beer most nights and indulge in the odd wrestle with one of the natives very cheaply, if you know your way around.

I've gone through periods of time in Thailand where I have had oodles of money and others where I've been very close to broke. I find it fairly easy to live fairly comfortably on small amounts of money by changing my habits. Some people do not seem willing to do that and they have big problems when times are lean.

I've gone through periods of time in Thailand where I have had oodles of money and others where I've been very close to broke. I find it fairly easy to live fairly comfortably on small amounts of money by changing my habits. Some people do not seem willing to do that and they have big problems when times are lean.

Thats right, you "cut your coat according to your cloth" and as i said in my previous comment, you really dont need that much money to live well here, i am sometimes amazed at how much some others say they need to live on here

Thats right, you "cut your coat according to your cloth" and as i said in my previous comment, you really dont need that much money to live well here, i am sometimes amazed at how much some others say they need to live on here

It's really unlimited on how little you can get by here. Have you been to the local markets? That stuff is cheap cheap cheap. Shirts for 50-100 baht, eggs for 3-4 baht, etc. I could live okay on 500 baht daily, 200 baht even.

Someone on 500-1000 baht a day is certainly not suffering as some of the tourists think.