Shoes And Slippers In The Village And Towns

Squigy

Guys, Maybe somebody can answer my query. I live in a small village and as is custom when you enter a house you take off your shoes or slippers.

Most of the houses are dirty inside and outside along with the feet of the people who are as well dirty.

Could somebody please tell me...... why?

Squigy

It's old Thai/Buddhism belief that shoes are not clean and should not be worn inside a house/Wat or similar... :D

I'm very surprised that in your village the folks seem to be dirty.... maybe they live in old farm houses and the people don't wear new clothing, but usually Thai lifestyle is clean...

fatfather

I'm very surprised that in your village the folks seem to be dirty.... maybe they live in old farm houses and the people don't wear new clothing, but usually Thai lifestyle is clean...

fatfather

the villages i have visited in issan , all have old farm houses ,

and the villagers , do not wear new clothing ,cannot afford to buy new ,, handdowns

because they work in the fields , naturally they are allways have soil on their hands and feet .

if you do not want your feet dirty , best keep away from villages :whistling: .

visit the new centra shoping complex , or big C .

AND, PLAY THE PART OF MOST OTHER LOOK AT ME, FARANGS IN UDON .

:jap:

The floor is the cleanest part of the house, Mrs salon is swept 3/4/.5 times a day, but there are cobwebs and dust on shelves ect, and before coming in, everybody takes off shoes?

I complained to Mrs about this, she said grit on shoes will mark the ceramic tiles in time, fair enough, and i must add, ive never had atheletes foot,verucas, or any other foot problems associated with regular shoe wearears.

>Could somebody please tell me...... why?

What's the alternative? Leave your shoes on and trample dirt all over the home?

It amounts to the same !!! Dirt on the shoes and dirt on the feet! All trampled through the house..