Chiangmai Toyride Event Dec 8Th

Hog Head

I posted this on the bike forum, so hopefully the Mods will allow this one as well

The Chiangmai ToyRide is planning another give away ride event Dec 8, 11.

This time the site is a small village school about 20 Km from the turn off to Pai, then about 4 km uphill on a rough dirt road to the village. I will post the GPS coordinates, time and meeting place, and hopefully a map, but please mark this date on your calendars.

The last 4 km is uphill and a bit rough but the locals have little trouble on a Wave so it cannot be too bad. No problem on a dual purpose or KLX type bike but unless the road gets a bit of work between now and then it is a bit much for a big road bike. We are now organizing transport for the give away swag, and 4WD truck transport from the main road for those riding road bikes. One of the local villagers will stand guard over our bikes down at the main road so no worries there.

The final logistics are still being organized, and I will post again when we have transport arranged in the event that the road is not improved.

We rode today to check out the next proposed project after this one. It is another school 10 km off the main road to Chiang Dao just where the construction begins. A good single lane concrete track all the way but for about 1 km. I went in today on my Versys with road tires and no problem. I could have done it on my Harley Dana but not on a Bagger

Projected date is Boxing Day or Dec 26 to you Yanks.

Details are still being nailed down and will advise

Please see our website at www.chiangmaitoyride.com for more info

Edited by Hog Head

I would like to expand on Hog Head's post a little:

We would also like to invite anyone with a 4x4 (or any other vehicle) to join us for this event. You could possibly help us transport some goods, or ferry some of the road bike riders up to the event. The road is rutted and very bumpy, but there is nothing that should jeopardize or damage your vehicle. I have made the trip both with my 4x4 Toyota and my motorcycle. We have a recent report that a 2x2 truck should be able to make it now, but I will confirm that before the event.

A combined 4x4 / motorcycle event would be quite fun! ;) More details will be posted before the event.

post-3361-0-04785600-1322045703_thumb.jp

post-3361-0-34923700-1322045724_thumb.jp

post-3361-0-97382000-1322045739_thumb.jp

Perhaps you could take the money you are saving by being carbon neutral and donate it to the Chiangmai ToyRide

See our website My linkfor details on how to donate

I think your post was in response to mine about giving your gas/petrol money to the school? Please excuse me if I've misunderstood.

My post wasn't about greenhouse emissions. It was much simpler than that.

If you really want to help the kids why waste time on your motorbikes? Why not just pool your gas money and give it to the target of your charity?

Perhaps you could take the money you are saving by being carbon neutral and donate it to the Chiangmai ToyRide

I think your post was in response to mine about giving your gas/petrol money to the school? Please excuse me if I've misunderstood.

If you really want to help the kids why waste time on your motorbikes? Why not just pool your gas money and give it to the target of your charity?

CHANGRAIDER - you just don't get it... I speak for myself and probably for MANY others. How much do you think is spent on fuel on motorcycles to ride 50 km? It's a big DROP in the bucket compared to the joy and excitement the little kids get out of seeing other people who care and want to help with their needs. Have you ever been to an orphanage. If you haven't, you should. Go and see for yourself what joy these kids will show. The toyride bike riders also donate many things PLUS cash donations. It is also therapy for the donors. I get tears in my eyes whenever I visit a needy school or orphan camp. You should try it...

So that's 2 threads on this page where u question the efforts of others trying to help others. Stick YOUR money where your mouth is and make a difference. And can we see receipts please?

CHANGRAIDER - you just don't get it... I speak for myself and probably for MANY others. How much do you think is spent on fuel on motorcycles to ride 50 km? It's a big DROP in the bucket compared to the joy and excitement the little kids get out of seeing other people who care and want to help with their needs. Have you ever been to an orphanage. If you haven't, you should. Go and see for yourself what joy these kids will show. The toyride bike riders also donate many things PLUS cash donations. It is also therapy for the donors. I get tears in my eyes whenever I visit a needy school or orphan camp. You should try it...

I'm all in favour of meaningful help where it's needed, I'm just asking a simple question.

Of course the gas from 1 bike is insignificant, but for the whole group it could presumably be at least as significant in value as the toys you take?

During the other 364 days of the year, does your average rider have any contact with Thais other than through the service industries?

I think the bit about tears to your eyes really answers my question: this event is really for sentimental farangs to give them a warm glow around the 25th December, which is not a date that has any significance for Thai people :-)

I'm all in favour of meaningful help where it's needed, I'm just asking a simple question.

Of course the gas from 1 bike is insignificant, but for the whole group it could presumably be at least as significant in value as the toys you take?

During the other 364 days of the year, does your average rider have any contact with Thais other than through the service industries?

I think the bit about tears to your eyes really answers my question: this event is really for sentimental farangs to give them a warm glow around the 25th December, which is not a date that has any significance for Thai people :-)

You are absolutely WRONG. It's not for sentimental farangs. And it's not just because of 25 Dec XMass time. If you bother to check out the toyride website, you will see that they do several of these (PLUS A WHOLE LOT MORE) events every year. I didn't count last time, but there are also THAI bikers that attend... You must be single because otherwise you yourself will have much more contact with the Thai people OTHER than those in the service industry.

Don't you have a heart?

Oh for heavens sake, do you people ever get enough bickering? If you aren't in favor of the event then simply DONT GO. If you feel money is better spent elsewhere than spend your own money SOMEWHERE ELSE. But please do not hijack this thread with whatever your agenda is. Thanks

You are absolutely WRONG. It's not for sentimental farangs. And it's not just because of 25 Dec XMass time. If you bother to check out the toyride website, you will see that they do several of these (PLUS A WHOLE LOT MORE) events every year. I didn't count last time, but there are also THAI bikers that attend... You must be single because otherwise you yourself will have much more contact with the Thai people OTHER than those in the service industry.

Don't you have a heart?

I first checked the website nearly a year ago. It made be embarrassed to be a farang.

There may be events unrelated to xmas, but I've never noticed their marketing on this forum, so I can't comment. But the heavy xmas theme is apparent from the corpulent gentleman in the red outfit.

I actually don't understand your wording re the question of my being single or not, so I can't respond to that.

Though I disagree with Hog's sentiments, I welcome and praise his honesty - something quite rare on TV: this event is therapy for farangs (and pretty cheap therapy too).

Not to worry SBK.. The event will still go on. Needy kids will get toys, blankets, toothbrushes, pencils and paper that they will use and appreciate. The village people will enjoy the distraction. A bunch of people on motorcycles will have fun in the process. It's all good from my view.

Do I really need to give another warning about this kind of behavior? Apparently I do since the first one was completely ignored. Next breach will result in more than mere deletion.

Hope that is now abundantly clear.

As a matter of fact we are looking for a corpulent volunteer for this years Dec 24 give away event at Suan Doc hospital

By way of clarification, The Chiangmai ToyRide has several give away events during the year, only one of which is Christmas related, and that is limited to the aforesaid corpulent gentleman brightening the lives of some very, very sick kids.

Onto more important things

I am ON for this trip 8th December, and have already got together another buddy and also putting together several Big Garbage bags of clothing and items as Cold season is here and I am sure the Village could do with some additonal clothing,

I am also going to be bringing some School supplies with us as well as the mandatory Toys

Not sure how I.m gonna get it all on my Bike :blink: LOL might just have to get a truck for the Day

DK

Edited by sbk
keep it on topic and no baiting

I see that I did not respond to the post asking for departure time

Depart the X-Centre in Mae Rim at 10 AM Dec 8th, so if you want breakfast and socializing get there prior.

We have arranged for 4 pick up trucks to transport those riding road bikes from the main road to the school and 2 more trucks to haul the donated items

See you on the 8th

Update on the ride;

The ride will assemble at the Chiang Mai X-Centre, DEPARTING at 10:00AM.

It is approximately a 45km (one way) ride from the X Centre. We are going to park the bikes at a road that turns west off of 1095 just past the Coffee on the Hill shop. That is 3 km past Ban Pa Pae or 33 km from the 107 Hwy. If you have a GPS that point should be N19 08.157 E98 42.052

Once there, we will regroup and head up to the village. Hope you can make it.

Here's a map of the meeting point of the school on R 1095 for those who wish to attend

6450305621_11ca7e3ecc_b.jpg

This is NOT the "starting point" or the "meeting point" The starting point is the Chiang Mai X-Centre. Please don't post confusing information, Phil. Official Chiang Mai ToyRide information is available on our website. Thank you.

Beb;

It is shown on the "Upcoming Events" page; http://chiangmaitoyride.com/?cat=5 and http://chiangmaitoyride.com/?p=1346.

We also show future events in the Countdown Timer links on the right of all pages. This is primarily a motorcycle event, although cars and trucks are welcome. I don't think it would be suitable for bicycles.

Thank you for your interest, I hope we see you there.

Edited by silverhawk_usa

I don't like being so repetitive with information, but there appears to be some confusion and misinformation "out there" as to where we are actually meeting, and I have been asked to post an accurate map.

Again, we request that you meet at the Chiang Mai X-Centre. The X-Centre is in Mae Rim on Hwy 1096. This is the road to the Mae Sa Elephant Camp, the Queen Sirikit Gardens, etc. It is 2km from Hwy 107 (Mae Rim Rd). We plan to DEPART THIS LOCATION at 10AM.

post-3361-0-10760500-1323056025_thumb.jp

At the X-Centre, although we will attempt to ride as a group, we will still hand out maps with the directions to the village and pass on other information. A couple people who live nearer the village location have asked for directions to where we will rendezvous and park so that they can meet us. I am posting that here;

post-3361-0-99072500-1323056579_thumb.pn

I hope this dispels any confusion. For the official information on this, and any future event, please refer to the Chiang Mai ToyRide Upcoming Events website.

Thanks, and we hope to see you at one of our events.

Beb;

It is shown on the "Upcoming Events" page; http://chiangmaitoyride.com/?cat=5 and http://chiangmaitoyride.com/?p=1346.

We also show future events in the Countdown Timer links on the right of all pages. This is primarily a motorcycle event, although cars and trucks are welcome. I don't think it would be suitable for bicycles.

Thank you for your interest, I hope we see you there.

Ok, thanks. I had been reading the thread thinking "bicycles" then the location made me reconsider. Maybe I'll make it anyway. Good luck!

The event is tomorrow morning and hope to see you there

each person must bring a toy? or alternatively, can i contribute cash?

We never discourage contributions, but it is entirely optional. The way we operate is like this; we hold a large event in February each year where we have a large parade/ride to our event location where we have bands, clowns, games, food, etc. 'Admission' for this event is a toy or sport item. We also have sponsors who contribute for their exposure on our website, posters, t-shirts, and our other events. Many individuals contribute cash also.

With the toys and proceeds from that event, we try to do at least 4 'giveaway events' at various locations during the year. We invite anyone to attend and just enjoy the fun as we give to the kids, schools and village. We are not greedy, and we do not expect anyone to have to donate something at every event. Just come and join us, or if you want to feel even more warm and fuzzy, you may contribute something of your choosing, as you wish.

It's never "just about toys". There will be toys and clowns for the children (always), but tomorrow we are also donating to the school, TV/DVD Player, educational materials, desks, chairs, tables, storage cabinets, sports uniforms and more. We always meet with representatives from the locations and get their wish lists first, and then see what we can fulfill.

Hope to see you tomorrow.

Edited by silverhawk_usa

SBK, is your post is directed at me? If so I'm at a complete loss as to how my posts might have breached the rules. Could you clarify? Here would be good for everybody's benefit, but by PM if you prefer.

Whether or not you have misunderstood the rules is a metter for SBK to interpret. What you HAVE misunderstood is that these are a bunch of BIKERS. That's what brings them together. It is their common cause. In the name of that

cause they are raisning money for needy kids. Surely even someone of limited intelligence can understand that.

BTW guys. I don't think it will be much use for the 8th, but when you get to the main Toy Ride. If you could use a couple of Olde Bell vouchers to use as raffle prizes or whatever, do let me know.

Good luck in your endeavours and don't let one sad individual put you off!!