Living In Chiang Mai

BkkMikey

I am considering to re-locate from Bangkok to Chiang Mai with my wife and daughter at the end of 2012. My daughter is attending kindergarten in Bangkok now and I have work related obligations here in Bangkok till the end of next year. I have been in Chiang Mai on short holidays around twenty times and I like the pace and atmosphere of Chiang Mai. However I can imagine that daily life for a foreigner might be different than weekend trips. I was wondering if any of the forum members living in Chiang Mai or having lived in Bangkok and Chiang Mai can share their thoughts on Chiang Mai life.

Further more, my plan is to rent a decent sized house within a 20-30 minutes driving distance of the Airport, which is near the school that I intend my daughter to attend. The school is Varee and I am leaning towards their English program. Districts I came across so far are; San Sai, Doi Saket, Hang Dong and Saraphi. I am interested to find out which areas are nicer to live in, where some of the parks or forests with walking trails are and if there are any (smaller) plaza's to do some basic shopping and enjoy a good cup of coffee. I have a car so getting around should not be very difficult and I also wonder if there is any traffic or rush hour slow downs that I should be aware of.

Thanks in advance to all members for any input :)

To give you a brief description of what it`s like to live in Chiang Mai; I would classify the place as Thailand's largest village rather than second biggest city.

If you are the type who enjoys peace and quite, solitude, isolation, the company of elderly farangs if they decide not to snub you, limited nightlife, shopping and temples, then Chiang Mai is the place for you.

If you are used to the bright lights and hustle and bustle of the big city, then Chiang Mai is going to seem quite boring in comparison.

Edited by Beetlejuice
  • Like 1

To give you a brief description of what it`s like to live in Chiang Mai; I would classify the place as Thailand’s largest village rather than second biggest city.

If you are the type who enjoys peace and quite, solitude, isolation, the company of elderly farangs if they decide not to snub you, limited nightlife, shopping and temples, then Chiang Mai is the place for you.

If you are used to the bright lights and hustle and bustle of the big city, then Chiang Mai is going to seem like quite boring in comparison.

Thank you for your insight. I can relate to that village feeling rather than city atmosphere. I am used to city life, but it is not what I prefer. I actually like quiet, and peaceful. Bangkok stresses me out.

I am 34 and I did get the impression that there is a large community of foreigners in Chiang Mai? Not just the elderly foreigners, but also younger farangs with kids. In any case elder people often have great stories to tell :)

Those areas are all good, same same, though Hang Dong and Saraphi would fit your requirements for driving time to the airport. Plenty of Moo Bans in Nong Hoi close to Varee. Chiang Mai does lack nice walking parks close by, but in many directions within a short drive there are plenty woods, mountains, and um, nature. Coffee houses abound, you just can't go to far around Chiang Mai without finding a nice shop for a caffine fix.

There's is rush hour traffic but if your accustomed to Bangkok driving, no worries.

There is a large expat community in Chiang Mai. Mostly elderly, but some in your age range. Chiang Mai truly has a small town atmosphere. It's very easy to meet people and maintain friendships. I strongly recommend checking out the Chiang Mai Friends Group; facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Chiang-Mai-Friends-Group/131598830216114

You mentioned San Sai as a possibility. I like San Sai. It's away from Chiang Mai city, but not too far (10 - 15 minutes driving time tops). It does not suffer from the familiar downtown crowding, and there are no loud, obnoxious speakers blasting advertisements from trucks.

Taking Ring Rd. 1 to the Super Hwy 1317 to the airport allows one to make it in approximately 20 minutes (coming from Ring Rd. 2).

Edited by venturalaw

There is a large expat community in Chiang Mai. Mostly elderly, but some in your age range. Chiang Mai truly has a small town atmosphere. It's very easy to meet people and maintain friendships. I strongly recommend checking out the Chiang Mai Friends Group; facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Chiang-Mai-Friends-Group/131598830216114

You mentioned San Sai as a possibility. I like San Sai. It's away from Chiang Mai city, but not too far (10 - 15 minutes driving time tops). It does not suffer from the familiar downtown crowding, and there are no loud, obnoxious speakers blasting advertisements from trucks.

Taking Ring Rd. 1 to the Super Hwy 1317 to the airport allows one to make it in approximately 20 minutes (coming from Ring Rd. 2).

Thank you for your info.

The Facebook page seems a good way to start. This and the whereabouts of obnoxious speakers, open air karaoke places and local late-night-hang-out-hammocks is the sort of info that is very welcome :jap:

Those areas are all good, same same, though Hang Dong and Saraphi would fit your requirements for driving time to the airport. Plenty of Moo Bans in Nong Hoi close to Varee. Chiang Mai does lack nice walking parks close by, but in many directions within a short drive there are plenty woods, mountains, and um, nature. Coffee houses abound, you just can't go to far around Chiang Mai without finding a nice shop for a caffine fix.

There's is rush hour traffic but if your accustomed to Bangkok driving, no worries.

Thank you. The lack of walking parks might be compensated by the abundance of nature nearby. I do drive in Bangkok ,but can never get used to it!

Think about the 1317 road to Sankamphaeng. Lots of moo baans and choice 20 minutes to the airport and less to Varee. Also you are travelling on the same side of the Mahidol road so no U turns involved. Views of mountains, lots of local eating places . And yes lots of Farangs and life in CM

CM is a great place to live and work. Today coming back from Chang Doi we got caught in heavy traffic down marjo road and into some of the sois. But it all sorted its self out without too much drama. There is just enough to do here that one will not get bored but not so big that you get lost.

I would say the only downside is the Feb. smoke from the forest and burning rice fields

CM is a great place to live and work. Today coming back from Chang Doi we got caught in heavy traffic down marjo road and into some of the sois. But it all sorted its self out without too much drama. There is just enough to do here that one will not get bored but not so big that you get lost.

I would say the only downside is the Feb. smoke from the forest and burning rice fields

Thanks for your reply.

After 7 years in Bangkok I can avoid most traffic just by adjusting my departure times and routes. Hopefully I will learn to do that in CM as well.

How bad is the yearly smoke? I have been in Chiang Rai once during the haze and it looked awful. Is it the whole month of February? Are all areas exposed and well maybe a rhetorical questions, but... are the authorities doing anything to lessen the annual burning of rice fields?

Thanks for your reply.

After 7 years in Bangkok I can avoid most traffic just by adjusting my departure times and routes. Hopefully I will learn to do that in CM as well.

Agree with that. With regards to an easy drive to Varee, you're probably looking at places South of town like (on the way to) Hang Dong and Sarapee. Quite often in the morning I see the whole Aom Muang ring road clogged up in the West-bound direction. (You'd join that coming from San Sai or Doi Saket)

How bad is the yearly smoke? I have been in Chiang Rai once during the haze and it looked awful. Is it the whole month of February?

No, it comes and goes. Indeed Chiang Rai (and Mae Hong Song) are usually worse, being closer to the border. This year was a non-event, virtually no days that were over the limit. Some years are very bad. Overall the trend is towards the situation improving, but for the foreseeable future, March won't be a happy month weather wise. (It's March, not Feb so much)

Are all areas exposed and well maybe a rhetorical questions, but... are the authorities doing anything to lessen the annual burning of rice fields?

Yes. And to burning of waste, etc. Though it may be a drop in the ocean, looking at surrounding countries where a lot of the crap originates. It may reduce some of the local sources though, but the really fine haze can make it here all the way from Burma and China just fine.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

So far I am very pleased with all the replies I got. I do have one more question regarding the climate. Especially during the winter season. Can anyone who lives in Chiang Mai comment on the temperature. And during the hot season, which are good places (such as Doi Inthanon) to visit where it is a bit cooler?

Thanks again I really appreciate it :jap:

So far I am very pleased with all the replies I got. I do have one more question regarding the climate. Especially during the winter season. Can anyone who lives in Chiang Mai comment on the temperature. And during the hot season, which are good places (such as Doi Inthanon) to visit where it is a bit cooler?

Dips in temperature happen during 'cold spells'; periods of several days/weeks when the nighttime temperature goes down to a minimum of around 15-16 (Degrees C) downtown, 12-15 degrees a bit out of town, and really bloody cold in mountain areas, sometimes in rare cases down to the freezing point. Daytime temperatures are magnificent; mid to high twenties as the maximum. (It takes long in the day to reach the maximum, then cools down rapidly)

Outside of cold spells you have minimums around the 18 degree mark in/around town, and maximums still getting close to 30.

These cold spells can happen basically in any winter month, from late November to late February.

The hot season indeed sucks; very hot, very dry. By the height of the hot season in April the hazy period tends to be over, so that's a minor plus. As for places to go: Hong Kong, Europe, North America, Southenr Africa. ;) Or just stick around in a cool place, with aircon probably, and then enjoy the Songkran fetivities mid April.

I'm not a huge fan of Doi Inthanon; it's all very dry that time of year, and you can't really stay there. Doi Angkhang is worth looking into.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

The higher you go in altitude the cooler the weather will be, on a blazing hot day simply going up to Doi Suthep which is in the city is a drastic drop in temperature.

There is a relatively large town on the way up Doi Inthanon where there is lodging, but the altitude is only slightly cooler than sea level.

A good place is route 1096 (samoeng loop to you riders) parts are pretty high amongst the trees and are many nature retreats to stay at.

Generally when ever you get away from concrete and get into luscious green forest the temperature will drop.

Summertime is blazing hot here, more so than BKK...im going to Hawaii for summer this time around, don't want to fry again like this past year.

HangDong is fine, and I think Varee is a good choice. Although, HD is a touch far from Varee, it is a good location to everything else.

I agreed HangDong is a good place because I stay there..lol. Joking

15 to 20 mins drive to town. Plenty of malls like BigC, Rimping Super Market and also fresh market nearby.

The internet connection is also well covered and aplenty of choices. TOT, 3BB, True Cable and etc.

True-H 3G also have coverage with good signal strength.

My moo-ban (Roongar-roon 3) had many Expat staying here. Most of them are retired folk. Guarded, got small man-made lake, Club house, Swimming pool, Badminton court, Well maintain and lot of green here

Not sure if it's alowed, but I've just put my place up for sale and have created the following website with all the info and it may meet your criteria. 30 minutes to airport, 25 minutes to Varee and superhiway and super quiet www.chiangmaiproperty.net [website still under construction]

check it out

Not sure if it's alowed, but I've just put my place up for sale and have created the following website with all the info and it may meet your criteria. 30 minutes to airport, 25 minutes to Varee and superhiway and super quiet www.chiangmaiproperty.net [website still under construction]

check it out

I am looking to rent at the moment. However your property looks very nice and the website you have created is a good introduction to potential buyers. It might be worth it to list your property on a few property websites as well. At least those are the sites that come up in google.

Edited by BkkMikey

• 1 month later...

While the data backs up that chiang mai is hotter than bkk in the summer I used to do trade shows in bkk in April and it always seemed a lot hotter and more humid in bkk than chiang mai. I think the higher humidity makes it feel hotter than it really is.

I live about 50km out of CM in a quiet hilly area (Maetaman). It gets chilly at night but very, very far from cold. But then I'm from Scotland, where we break out the summer clothes when springtime temperatures come up to 18 - so my definition of cold is -10 :-)

You may find it a bit cold compared to bkk, but I think you'll soon get used to it. I came from 17 years in Dar es Salaam where the thermometer only has 2 notches one for winter and one for summer - "hot" and "hotter" - and I've acclimatised no problem. Still sleep on top of the duvet most nights...

CM would be perfect if it wasn't for the March burning season. As WTK said some years it's not so bad - but there have been many years where it was extremely bad - health risk bad IMO.

There is no escaping this issue, and even local governments even if they wanted to couldn't do much about it as the problem is everywhere in a very large area covering Burma, Laos, and northern Thailand. Apart from the fact that no-one's doing anything about it - the government of Chiang Mai hilariously blamed Korean Barbecues a few years back - even if they did, it would be a very long, slow process to get every single villager and hill tribe and farmer in this large area to change their ways and use some alternative to the burning. On the plus side there never are any big, life-threatening forest fires here like there are in the USA - because the underbrush is burned away every year.

I live about 5 minutes from Nimmanhemin down canal road - many moo baans being built there at the moment. I think it's a perfect location. But then haven't lived in San sai or any of those places, and I spend quite a bit of time in the cafes and restaurants of Nimman which is the "happening" area in Chiang Mai, full of cafes, bars, restaurants, and what have you. So living not far from there is good for me.

I don't know where Varee is but this is Chiang Mai so I'd aim for finding something 5 minutes away rather than 20. 20 minutes is pretty much anywhere in or around the city....

CM would be perfect if it wasn't for the March burning season. As WTK said some years it's not so bad - but there have been many years where it was extremely bad - health risk bad IMO.

There is no escaping this issue, and even local governments even if they wanted to couldn't do much about it as the problem is everywhere in a very large area covering Burma, Laos, and northern Thailand. Apart from the fact that no-one's doing anything about it - the government of Chiang Mai hilariously blamed Korean Barbecues a few years back - even if they did, it would be a very long, slow process to get every single villager and hill tribe and farmer in this large area to change their ways and use some alternative to the burning. On the plus side there never are any big, life-threatening forest fires here like there are in the USA - because the underbrush is burned away every year.

[...]

In fact, the air pollution situation is improving rather rapidly. As you can seee from this graph, the average pollution level has decreased by more than a third since mid-2004:

post-20094-0-09807300-1326079423_thumb.j

Since you are considering relocating from Bangkok to Chiang Mai, the following comparison of pollution in Din Daeng (sorry, only BKK numbers that I have) and Chiang Mai:

post-20094-0-96162500-1326079543_thumb.j

As you can see the March pollution is much worse in Chiang Mai, the February and April values are roughly comparable but for the rest of the year Chiang Mai is much better.

Welcome to the Rose of the North!

/ Priceless

Having lived in Bangkok for some 14+ years and suffering all the traffic, pollution etc. I moved to Chiang Mai early last year and have not regretted it for one minute, even after I became flooded last August. It has everything Bangkok has to offer without the problems, choose carefully where to live but somewhere like San Sai is as good as you will get or maybe Doi Siket . The cooler 'winter' makes for a very pleasant change and even in the hot season it becomes bearable. Good schools, good supermarkets, good cultural activities what else can you ask for. Enjoy

[...]

In fact, the air pollution situation is improving rather rapidly. As you can seee from this graph, the average pollution level has decreased by more than a third since mid-2004:

post-20094-0-09807300-1326079423_thumb.j

Since you are considering relocating from Bangkok to Chiang Mai, the following comparison of pollution in Din Daeng (sorry, only BKK numbers that I have) and Chiang Mai:

post-20094-0-96162500-1326079543_thumb.j

As you can see the March pollution is much worse in Chiang Mai, the February and April values are roughly comparable but for the rest of the year Chiang Mai is much better.

Welcome to the Rose of the North!

/ Priceless

I just noticed these replies to my post. Thanks for these graph, good info. I am surprised though by the numbers in CM in March.

To give you a brief description of what it`s like to live in Chiang Mai; I would classify the place as Thailand's largest village rather than second biggest city.

If you are used to the bright lights and hustle and bustle of the big city, then Chiang Mai is going to seem quite boring in comparison.

Very well put, having just got back from a long weekend in Bangkok, I could not have put it better!

I just noticed these replies to my post. Thanks for these graph, good info. I am surprised though by the numbers in CM in March.

March is bad, but usually not quite that bad. The average at 108.3 µg/m3 is strongly influenced by two extreme highs, 153.9 µg/m3 in 2004 and 161.7 in 2007.

/ Priceless