Christmas Dinner On Samui

Where ever 'Chef Nigel' is cooking.

He's American and knows how to do the classic spread yanks are used to.

Nigel does an excellent "broken-assed chicken" but he's American. Yanks aren't used to Xmas dinners at all! Americans know as much about 'Xmas dinners' as Italians do! Not to want to appear dismissive (much) but the English Christmas dinner is thing of tradition, majesty and awe and Nigel's mother's secret BBQ sauce recipe won't be appreciated.

In reply to the OP - last year The Lazy Coconut in Mae Nam put on an amazing spread. Not sure if Mae Nam is within the target area though . . .?

R

Edited by robsamui

But the OP's friends are from the UK, if they wanted something traditional for yanks they could just go to MacDonalds.

AHEM - the OPs friends are English - a subtle difference, as any Scot or Welshman will tell you . . .

R

But the OP's friends are from the UK, if they wanted something traditional for yanks they could just go to MacDonalds.

AHEM - the OPs friends are English - a subtle difference, as any Scot or Welshman will tell you . . .

R

Really? I only see that they are from the UK how do you know they are English?

R

Really? I only see that they are from the UK how do you know they are English?

It would be a pointless distinction anyway. Christmas dinner is pretty much the same north of the border.

Nigel does an excellent "broken-assed chicken" but he's American. Yanks aren't used to Xmas dinners at all! Americans know as much about 'Xmas dinners' as Italians do! Not to want to appear dismissive (much) but the English Christmas dinner is thing of tradition, majesty and awe and Nigel's mother's secret BBQ sauce recipe won't be appreciated.

In reply to the OP - last year The Lazy Coconut in Mae Nam put on an amazing spread. Not sure if Mae Nam is within the target area though . . .?

R

I have had both the English, Irish AND Welsh ones,

yes the real huge ones, and American one from small to gargantuan....

It's all good, and no need for these parochial comments disparaging Yanks over our Xmas dinner. Seems you haven't had a good one, your loss

I've also had a French one and they all have their charms.

Even had a goose stuffed with Haggis for xmas.

I'm a retired chef and have helped MAKE all of the above, each with a native.

I was giving them a choice, because Nigel does a serious spread,

And I noted American too, so they would know that,

and get multi-slagged for my efforts.

"where we could find a decent xmas dinner?"

Nigel makes one, end of story.

Aye, whats fer puddin?

Edited by animatic

Please let's not start that them & us war of words. A simple question does not have to end up in a slanging match.

To the OP, various restaurants & hotels have XMAS lunches. They all vary in price. Perhaps if you clarify your requirement, it might be easier to point you in the right direction.

PS: Nigel only does catering not a restaurant.

Please let's not start that them & us war of words. A simple question does not have to end up in a slanging match.

To the OP, various restaurants & hotels have XMAS lunches. They all vary in price. Perhaps if you clarify your requirement, it might be easier to point you in the right direction.

biggrin.gif OK I'll take a stab at the Catcantoo in Bangrak....buffet style no doubt and excellent value.

Sorry for not being more specific...

Price does not matter if it comes highly recommended, and as for the food, something traditional and British would be good - Turkey, Brussel Sprouts etc.

Would booking in advance be a good idea for those who've experienced xmas in samui before?

Price does not matter if it comes highly recommended, and as for the food, something traditional and British would be good - Turkey, Brussel Sprouts etc.

Would booking in advance be a good idea for those who've experienced xmas in samui before?

yes book in advance , if you are after traditional British Xmas Dinner ( 12 pints of stella and and some turkey / trimmings ) let the thread know where ons amui you are staying so we can point you in the right direction

I would hesitate to recommended any of the Xmas dinners from the resort restaurants. They will be good but firstly it's likely they'll be pitched at their in-house guests and expensive in comparison (with some being fully-booked).

Poppies in Chaweng, for example, has a very attractive and popular restaurant and is doing their set Xmas dinner menu at 2,000B. Beach Republic in Lamai is offering an amazing spread but it might not be the traditional English Xmas dinner you're looking for . . . the Xmas day brunch is a buffet with "Fine De Claire Oysters, Maine Lobster, Alaskan King Crab, Foie Gras Station, International Cheese Board, Jamon Serano straight from the bone, Wagyu, Roast Lamb, Roast Turkey" etc for 1,600B and their Xmas eve buffet session with free sparkling wine/cocktails DJ and band is around 4,500B (when you've added service and tax).

Tropical Murphy's in Chaweng hasn't been mentioned yet, but offer a traditional dinner and they have HUGE portions. Last year this was 950 baht.

I'm trying to think of somewhere essentially tropical - on the beach and under the palms (as opposed to being right on the main road like Islander or Murphy's) and only Poppies springs to mind - and even that's on a terrace overlooking the sand.

The same goes for Fisherman's Village - some great pubs but no beach access.

But if you're in that area, then The Lazy Coconut in Mae Nam is doing a gigantic traditional spread with turkey, sprouts (not sure about the chestnuts), peas, carrots, roasties, mash, pigs in a blanket, Bisto gravy, cranberry sauce, Yorkie pud n parsly n sage stuffing plus Xmas pud with Bird's custard for 800 baht . . . (ps - bring your own Xmas crackers . . . better tell your friends to bring some!)

Be helpful to know what part of Samui you're looking at . . .

R

ps - interesting conversations here for those who don't know what a traditional English Xmas dinner is . . .

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/471530

Edited by robsamui

R

I have had both the English, Irish AND Welsh ones,

yes the real huge ones, and American one from small to gargantuan....

It's all good, and no need for these parochial comments disparaging Yanks over our Xmas dinner. Seems you haven't had a good one, your loss

I've also had a French one and they all have their charms.

Even had a goose stuffed with Haggis for xmas.

I'm a retired chef and have helped MAKE all of the above, each with a native.

I was giving them a choice, because Nigel does a serious spread,

And I noted American too, so they would know that,

and get multi-slagged for my efforts.

"where we could find a decent xmas dinner?"

Nigel makes one, end of story.

Aye, whats fer puddin?

Ah - but what do you make of Christmas crackers? ;)

R

Edited by robsamui

Yes, an absolute must. I tried to book a week before (last year) and most places were already full.

R

sorry for not being more specific.

English, not British.

We're staying around Mae Nam, but we'll probably want it in the afternoon so location doesn't matter too much. We'll most likely hire some motorbikes and drive around anyway - if it's a bit of trek then no worries. Just got back from Koh Chang which is even larger than Samui and happily drove around for two hours a day.

I'm liking the sound of big portions of turkey, veg etc.

If your around maenam then lazy coconut for sure . on a separate note hire a small car or jeep for you and your friends, not motorbikes. you can't compare riding a motorbike on koh Chang to doing it on samui by the size of the island.

agree there, Lazy Coconut is the only place to be if you are in Maenam ,,,,,,,,,,

Best also to rent a jeep, samui is very dangerous for motorbikes over the xmas season, so many deaths on the roads, you want to be returning home overwight , full off sun and beer, not in a bodybag ... dont think it wont happen to you !, i think 5 a day are killed on the roads in samui over xmas / new year and many many injured

Better Safe the Sorry

Enjoy your xmas :jap:

Edited by Boater

For a very traditional Xmas dinner I would recommend the Lazy Coconut in Meanam, I had it there last year, and have it in my sights for this one.

I'm quite sure the dinner down at the BBC will be good, as the food there is usually spot on, however it is a buffet style and I want it dumping in front of me piping hot,,

For a very traditional Xmas dinner I would recommend the Lazy Coconut in Meanam, I had it there last year, and have it in my sights for this one.

I'm quite sure the dinner down at the BBC will be good, as the food there is usually spot on, however it is a buffet style and I want it dumping in front of me piping hot,,

Not very eloquent, but spot on.

And Samm83 - listen to Boater and sketcher re the bikes. Rent a jeep or get a taxi (rip off I know- but you get to live). 4 bikes - 800 baht a day. 1 Jeep - 600 - 700 baht a day. Taxi in Maenam - 300 baht each way.

No brainer.B)