River Cruise With Dinner - Chao Phraya River Bangkok

lyn

We are meeting friends from UK in Bangkok on Tuesday 20th December and want to try a River Cruise with dinner on Chao Phraya River, are they running at the moment? Enjoy Thai food but need "pet nik noi" and the cultural dancing looks good for visitors. There seem lots to choose from, any suggestions? There will be 6 Adults and 1 15 yr old. Don't want to get ripped off!

I went on a Chao Phraya Princess dinner cruise earlier this year and swore never to go on a Chao Phraya Princess dinner cruise again.

The boat and the food were ok but there were too many people and the singer and music were extremely loud. There was absolutely no "ambiance" - it was more like being on a cattle boat!.

I haven't done one of the rice barge dinner cruises but for my next dinner cruise a rice barge will be my choice.

There are many trips on the River Boats, I found the ones with the disco a big loud, there is another one, docks at the same point but looks a bit better class wise, also there is the traditional old boat, but last time I used this it broke down.

The Marriott cruises I think are the best, though overpriced. I went a few years ago, and it was beautiful and quiet. The boats are upscale and the food is just above average, but not great. They depart from the Marriott's docks at the riverside resort.

as of yesterday: some do it again, but not all-due to fewer tourists. ANY takes bookings-if they see that there are not enoug, they simply put you in another boat-same as airlines do. You do not need to worry about ''where to board;'' as about anywhere you book will provide transport-or at least give you ample leaflets in Thai for the taxi. If you worry about those feeble things, you lack travel experience.

The pheT (not K) nitnoi is als a complete nonsense to ask: these boats only cater farang-as any tourist restrt-and they get simply provided by the kitchens of the HTls they belong to-to farang tastes. Most of the dishes are only ''Thai'' in the idea of those farang. Nonetheless, many still enojoy it enough.

One above raises an indeed valid point; deafening music is a thing that Thai cannot understand as such-for them it is: the more you pay, the louder the music, as we have to show how much money we paid for this costly music set!

Seems to me more a case of insufficient travel knowledge.

Went on the Grand Chaophraya Cruise in 2009 with wife and two young kids, then 5 and 7. Live band with a saxophone player, Kenny G style. Food wasn't fantastic but not bad, and plenty of not spicy food, plus a few party favors for the kids. We really enjoyed it as a whole package. 2001 went on an old barge which had two set menus, a choice of Thai food or seafood, that was good but can't remember which one it was. We chose the Grand last time so the kids had more variety of food.The crew were very friendly and even joined in the dancing at the end, which the kids loved. Grand Chaophraya Cruise

Edited by boogie

Two ways of doing this. Western or Thai. If you go Western then no need to worry about "phet nit noi" (little spicy) or "mai phet" (not spicy)as it will be fairly bland for the most part, some indifferent dancing, entertainment, and look at the sights of Bangkok through plastic windows, and you'll pay for the privilege. Is that a rip off ? Not to me, it's simply not the way I would want to do it, and I've done it, not by choice but that's another story.

I've also done one of the up market rice barge cruises, very nice, sedate, also quite expensive and maybe not what you are looking for.

IMHO the best way to do a river cruise is with Yok Yor. Different to the other places, their cruises go from one of their restaurants on the river, the Yok Yor Marina. The food is a la carte, (think there may be a buffet option on some cruises) you get the shuttle boat from Saphin Taksin to the restaurant and order your food there, most dishes are 100-300 Bht, then board the boat. These are open sided boats that allow you to see the real star of a Bangkok cruise, the river itself rather than watching some so-so Thai dancing as you glide past the majesty of somewhere like Wat Arun. Entertainment ? Sometimes the Thai karaoke though that usually falls silent as people get more involved in watching the sights. You can bet on at least 90% of your fellow passengers as being Thai. The food will be as mild or as spicy as you want it to be.

The cost is 140 bht, yes (140) plus the cost of your food and drink.

Yok Yor is one of my favourite restaurants anyway with superb food, wonderful Thai style entertainment at the restaurants so you don't have to trek off home after your cruise either but can relax with a drink.

Tel. 02-863-0565 or Google their website. If your going to call them best you get a Thai speaker, hotel receptionist or whatever to do it.

The Chao Phraya river at night offers some of the most magical views you will ever see.... why would you want to watch anything else ? Thai dancing available anywhere.

I did a rice barge dinner cruise on Chao Praya for Loy Kratong last year as it also was my wife's birthday (this year Chao Praya came to us for Loy Kratong). It was extra expensive because of the fireworks, but was really nice.

You sit outside at tables on the small deck and select food from the buffet table. Food was fine. No live entertainment, just music and the ever changing view as you glide quietly along the river.

I would recommend it.

We've done both the big (River City?) and one of the small rice barge cruises where the dinner is outside on the top deck and there are maybe 8 small tables and a buffet (mixed Thai and western food). The small one had a four piece dinner music type band - clarinet etc. The big one was huge, loud disco music, bench seating for dinner, yech. Go for the small one. We got ours from the riverside hotel we were staying at. An old style Thai boat ferried us to the dinner boat and back after.

I went on a Chao Phraya Princess dinner cruise earlier this year and swore never to go on a Chao Phraya Princess dinner cruise again.

The boat and the food were ok but there were too many people and the singer and music were extremely loud. There was absolutely no "ambiance" - it was more like being on a cattle boat!.

I haven't done one of the rice barge dinner cruises but for my next dinner cruise a rice barge will be my choice.

No shame in not having travel experience as you are suggesting. People surely don't want to be intimidated away from Thaivisa by such inferences. Maybe you actually meant something else(?)

as of yesterday: some do it again, but not all-due to fewer tourists. ANY takes bookings-if they see that there are not enoug, they simply put you in another boat-same as airlines do. You do not need to worry about ''where to board;'' as about anywhere you book will provide transport-or at least give you ample leaflets in Thai for the taxi. If you worry about those feeble things, you lack travel experience.

The pheT (not K) nitnoi is als a complete nonsense to ask: these boats only cater farang-as any tourist restrt-and they get simply provided by the kitchens of the HTls they belong to-to farang tastes. Most of the dishes are only ''Thai'' in the idea of those farang. Nonetheless, many still enojoy it enough.

One above raises an indeed valid point; deafening music is a thing that Thai cannot understand as such-for them it is: the more you pay, the louder the music, as we have to show how much money we paid for this costly music set!

I thought the same but suspect its just arrogance, especially since the inference is repeated.

No shame in not having travel experience as you are suggesting. People surely don't want to be intimidated away from Thaivisa by such inferences. Maybe you actually meant something else(?)

I was walking along the other side of the river about half-way between Taksin and the Rama III bridges, and stopped in to enquire at one of those massage/karaoke/sing-song all-in-one places, as they had three barge-style boats in various states of attractiveness at their dock.

The manager said he'd rent the boat+crew+sound equipment for B5,000 for 4-5 hours and we could stock the bar and arrange our own catering if we preferred (was a big school staff outing) or they would arrange a reasonable per-head charge depending on what we wanted.

Probably too DIY for this OP, but thought I'd add it to the mix, I thought very reasonable. . .

Two ways of doing this. Western or Thai. If you go Western then no need to worry about "phet nit noi" (little spicy) or "mai phet" (not spicy)as it will be fairly bland for the most part, some indifferent dancing, entertainment, and look at the sights of Bangkok through plastic windows, and you'll pay for the privilege. Is that a rip off ? Not to me, it's simply not the way I would want to do it, and I've done it, not by choice but that's another story.

I've also done one of the up market rice barge cruises, very nice, sedate, also quite expensive and maybe not what you are looking for.

IMHO the best way to do a river cruise is with Yok Yor. Different to the other places, their cruises go from one of their restaurants on the river, the Yok Yor Marina. The food is a la carte, (think there may be a buffet option on some cruises) you get the shuttle boat from Saphin Taksin to the restaurant and order your food there, most dishes are 100-300 Bht, then board the boat. These are open sided boats that allow you to see the real star of a Bangkok cruise, the river itself rather than watching some so-so Thai dancing as you glide past the majesty of somewhere like Wat Arun. Entertainment ? Sometimes the Thai karaoke though that usually falls silent as people get more involved in watching the sights. You can bet on at least 90% of your fellow passengers as being Thai. The food will be as mild or as spicy as you want it to be.

The cost is 140 bht, yes (140) plus the cost of your food and drink.

Yok Yor is one of my favourite restaurants anyway with superb food, wonderful Thai style entertainment at the restaurants so you don't have to trek off home after your cruise either but can relax with a drink.

Tel. 02-863-0565 or Google their website. If your going to call them best you get a Thai speaker, hotel receptionist or whatever to do it.

The Chao Phraya river at night offers some of the most magical views you will ever see.... why would you want to watch anything else ? Thai dancing available anywhere.

I can wholeheartedly second that recommendation for Yok-Yor.

When down in Bangkok, my wife and I have frequently taken friends and family on this cruise and have always had excellent food, service and entertainment - and at different times throughout the year.

Always best to book in advance as it is deservedly popular - leaves the quayside at 8pm returns about 1015pm - 10/10!

Totally!!

Loud, awful and totally worthless. Waste of time and money. We took friends on this cruise and we ended up sitting there just waiting for the dam_n cruise to end - we couldn't hear each other.

Worst evening I've ever spent in Bangkok.

Edited by Forethat