Is Your Dog Feeling The Cold

meatboy

everyone who reads and posts in this forum would know i have a double coated dog,the last week he has been feeling the cold[sleeps indoors] first thing in the morning after his walk straight in doors,during the day if he goes out he will lay in the sun,at night he spends most of the night sleeping between me&mrs.or curled up like a ball on a settee.if he is feeling the cold what about other dogs that sleep outside with no coats on i see many in the morning that look frozen because inconsiderate owners cant be bothered to buy a coat about the cost of a bottle of leo.

Has his nose lost it's blackness in patches as well turning pinky colour? Snow nose in 25 degrees lol it's so funny.

My male husky looks very funny with his pink nose and curling up for warmth. The female is in heaven loving the drop in temperature. The Lab is just wagging her tail.

As for jackets? Seriously? How many hundreds of thousands of years have dogs survived without clothing I could not dare to guess. Dogs tend to deal with their climates better than we do; their hair changes direction to either trap air or get rid to adjust to heat. They do not ever need coats, jumpers, woolie bobble hats or anything else UNLESS the owner likes to shave all their hair off which leaves them unable to adapt themselves to the changing temperature. I would guess though that these owners dress their dogs up anyway, and push them around in little push carts as well so ney bother.

Meatboy's Bangkaew, in spite of its double coat, is a local dog, and adapted to local conditions. Therefore he feels the cold.

My GSX loves it. He comes out for a walk (which he's usually too lazy for), and bounds through the rice paddies like a puppy (he's about 7 years old).

The toy poodle had a haircut yesterday, and didn't mind a bit. She was bounding like the GSX.

Meatboy's Bangkaew, in spite of its double coat, is a local dog, and adapted to local conditions. Therefore he feels the cold.

My GSX loves it. He comes out for a walk (which he's usually too lazy for), and bounds through the rice paddies like a puppy (he's about 7 years old).

The toy poodle had a haircut yesterday, and didn't mind a bit. She was bounding like the GSX.

meatboy's beloved is an alskan malamute who should not find the cold a problem being born in los,he definatly needs a woman though.

dogs that as a breed were meant for cold climates do not neccessarily like or thrive in cold in a lcimate that that wre actually born in to...

i had two boxers; one an israeli born and bred bitch and one male from finland. needless to say, the finnish boy sufferred horribly in our summers and loved our winters, the bitch got cold easily. it doesnt help that we would heat our house.

now, the two lhasa. foofoo, raised with goats and outdoors, has a very nice coat, and likes the cold, sufferes in heat. lilee, even when not clipped down (as she is now) hates wet, cold, and prefers the house. now, clipped down, she wears a coat (that i sewed her from reused clothes, fleece and rain coat material), indoors and out, except on days that warm up, as we dont heat all the time.

our village type dogs that were at the petting zoo lived all year round outdoors with dog houses padded with straw, and a good diet and warmed water.

dogs, like people are also individuals. anon, alhtough thai, sufferes in heat, loves the cold. i although raised in a maryland climate, hate the cold and suffer even in jerusalem where cold is not the same as a maryland or massachussetts winter. anything under 30 degrees (cels.) is cold as far as im concerned.

older animals feel the weather more then mature healthy adults.

adn no, i dont push my dogs in a pram.

and btw, most dog breeds of today are not thousands of years old as 'village' types are; most dogs of the here and now are/were bred for specific traits, not always including natural climate control coats.

bina

israel

I think you made a very valid point (notwithstanding some of the very 'tough-toned'responses here.

Our dog (2 yrs) and of the famous "no-brand-Thai-Terrific" variety WAS certainly feeling the sudden cold and so I cut the sleeves off of one of my Polo-Shirts and fashioned this onto my dog. He looked extremely cute in the navy-blue outfit, but; more importantly: he was warm & comfortable.

Our dog sleeps outside, on a double-folded little blanket and has not caught any colds.

When I read about other dog-owners having their dog "stay in the home" and/or "sleep between me an the missus" gives me the absolute creeps: do these people know nothing about the dirt & potential deceases which a dog can drag into their environment especially their "bed" ???) How super unhygienic !

We dearly LOVE our dog, but dogs live outside, not inside the home.

@meatboy for gods sake get his balls cut off. Regardless of what you believe about him feeling the cold, pain of it happening, all cold weather dogs live in constant torture from the heat. Just imagine having 2 fur coats on in Thailand, never taking them off, and your only rest from it is a touch of aircon at night time. Mine are rescue dogs; all of them. Neutered straight away. Thailand has enough dogs and does not need more, especially more unable to put up with the heat. Adjusting to / accepting / dealing with heat is not the same a having a nice life after all, drive a nail throw your hand and wobble is every 10 minutes and sure after a while you would adjust to it being there - does not mean you rather it not be there. Castrate him (he will become a nicer dog, even if you do not think that is possible) and you will prevent more dogs suffering.

@meatboy for gods sake get his balls cut off. Regardless of what you believe about him feeling the cold, pain of it happening, all cold weather dogs live in constant torture from the heat. Just imagine having 2 fur coats on in Thailand, never taking them off, and your only rest from it is a touch of aircon at night time. Mine are rescue dogs; all of them. Neutered straight away. Thailand has enough dogs and does not need more, especially more unable to put up with the heat. Adjusting to / accepting / dealing with heat is not the same a having a nice life after all, drive a nail throw your hand and wobble is every 10 minutes and sure after a while you would adjust to it being there - does not mean you rather it not be there. Castrate him (he will become a nicer dog, even if you do not think that is possible) and you will prevent more dogs suffering.

agree with you 100% we rescued our dog from what must have been a poor home,when he came to us he could just about stand he had so much wrong with him we are lucky he survived our vet done a great job,i wouldnt want him to breed for one minute as i can imagine what the offspring would have to go through but t.i.t.he just wants to get his legs wrapped round the mrs so he needs to get rid of his [------] we have to consider having him neutered,as we have only had him 10months he is enjoying his life,this week was the first time mrs.meat was out shopping[5am-8pm] he missed her so much,he wouldnt eat nothing till she came home.i will have a word with the vet in jan.when he have's his next heartworm jab.ps i hope they find the missing husky [gapow] who is lost in bkk.

meatboy's beloved is an alskan malamute who should not find the cold a problem being born in los,he definatly needs a woman though.

Sorry, Meatboy.... I didn't look at your avatar closely enough!

Today it was much warmer, the GSX stayed at home, while the toy poodle bounded all over the place as usual.

But it's true that the very Thai Bangkaew does have a double coat; despite what you might think, this is not restricted to cold climates.

Edited by isanbirder

Sorry, Meatboy.... I didn't look at your avatar closely enough!

Today it was much warmer, the GSX stayed at home, while the toy poodle bounded all over the place as usual.

But it's true that the very Thai Bangkaew does have a double coat; despite what you might think, this is not restricted to cold climates.

up here in korat last night was a coat warmer our dog laid inside of the balcony doors which are always open,now he's outside flat out asleep :D

Our Golden Retriever lives in air-conditioning most of the year so loves this cooler weather. This morning she didn’t want to come out of the pond and didn’t mind the icy shower afterwards. A few days ago we were up on the top of Doi Inthanon and she loved riding with the windows open. So no our dog does not feel the cold. She loves it.

As for the other matter, we have had all four of our dogs fixed. :)

Our Golden Retriever lives in air-conditioning most of the year so loves this cooler weather. This morning she didn't want to come out of the pond and didn't mind the icy shower afterwards. A few days ago we were up on the top of Doi Inthanon and she loved riding with the windows open. So no our dog does not feel the cold. She loves it.

nice dog lol and the wife,regarding the other matter,what does it entail,are they put to sleep,can they come home same day i dont think the mrs could let him stay at the vets she is so attached to him he's her boy,as she has never had any children he has put the iceing on the cake

if you get what i mean.

Our Golden Retriever lives in air-conditioning most of the year so loves this cooler weather. This morning she didn't want to come out of the pond and didn't mind the icy shower afterwards. A few days ago we were up on the top of Doi Inthanon and she loved riding with the windows open. So no our dog does not feel the cold. She loves it.

nice dog lol and the wife,regarding the other matter,what does it entail,are they put to sleep,can they come home same day i dont think the mrs could let him stay at the vets she is so attached to him he's her boy,as she has never had any children he has put the iceing on the cake

if you get what i mean.

We had a local vet come out to the house as we live out in the country. Our three outdoor Thai dogs were given shots and then lovingly laid out on a table and held steady by the wife and me. It was a very hands on experience.

A quick cut to the side of the scrotum, removal of the offending contents and then a few stitches to seal the deal. The hardest part was watching them recover from the drugs. It didn’t seem to bother them much as one of them mounted a female the next day. I thought that must have been painful but muscle memory and male urges being what they are he seemed quite content. Eventually they stopped chasing the girls. It also takes a while for the swelling to go down. They end up looking down right feminine from the back after a while. :whistling:

The Golden is female and never had a litter so we took her to the vet in town for what is a more delicate and exacting procedure. We went shopping and came back to pick her up a few hours later. Keeping her out of the water until the stitches on her abdomen healed was probably the hardest part with her.

I understand about your wife. We opted to have no children so the Golden is our child. We even call each other mommy and daddy. :D As for the cut, in my opinion it is more cruel not to do it. ;)

Edited by villagefarang

if you get what i mean.

We had a local vet come out to the house as we live out in the country. Our three outdoor Thai dogs were given shots and then lovingly laid out on a table and held steady by the wife and me. It was a very hands on experience.

A quick cut to the side of the scrotum, removal of the offending contents and then a few stitches to seal the deal. The hardest part was watching them recover from the drugs. It didn’t seem to bother them much as one of them mounted a female the next day. I thought that must have been painful but muscle memory and male urges being what they are he seemed quite content. Eventually they stopped chasing the girls. It also takes a while for the swelling to go down. They end up looking down right feminine from the back after a while. :whistling:

The Golden is female and never had a litter so we took her to the vet in town for what is a more delicate and exacting procedure. We went shopping and came back to pick her up a few hours later. Keeping her out of the water until the stitches on her abdomen healed was probably the hardest part with her.

I understand about your wife. We opted to have no children so the Golden is our child. We even call each other mommy and daddy. :D As for the cut, in my opinion it is more cruel not to do it. ;)

thank you for your response the wife has just read it and it has put her mind at rest,yes we to are his mum/dad i dont know if you are familier with malamutes but where we live there are 40houses and every person that live here love him he talks to them in his way they all seem to be amazed with him.almost every day he does amaze me i think he is 50%human he understands english yet we have only had him 11months,no money could buy him,i have total confidence in our vet so next month we will arrange for him to have it done.one thing would it be ok for him to get his leg over before the chop,i am only thinking what i would do.

do not let your dog breed before a neuter; we had foofoo as a potential breeder, so he had already bred several bitches *backyard bitches- and therefore got in afight lost an eye and so, whilst having the eye removed, got his balls removed.

this past spring, lilee was in heat, foofoo mounted and tied her, every day, for five days... obviously he is shooting blanks but memories serve their purpose so not recommended if u want peace and quiet with bitches around. this month lilee is going to be spayed, after an unsuccesful mating/birth... and become foofoo has his 'pre castration' memories making life hell for us and him and lilee for three weeks of crying whining mating not eating, scent marking etc.

as for winter coats: israeli canaanis have double coats which help in desert conditons: innner coat is sun blocker, and warms them up in falling temps at night in desert winters. they are a primitive breed, not tampered with, and dont suffer from heat or cold

bina

I remember our dogs handled 40 below better than 40 above, but we let them come inside for most of the really cold days.

I can't imagine the torture these Thai dogs have to endure wearing those stupid t-shirts. It finally gets to a moderately comfortable temperature during cold season and the owners stuff them in a wool sweater???. When I see those dogs their eyes seem to be saying "kill me now".

My dogs spend most of the day inside the house with the AC on, so this weather must feel "normal" to them smile.gif I always keep one door open so the dogs can go out into the garden anytime they want, but during really hot days, they just stay inside where the AC is blowing!

I spent a couple of years living in Russia with one of the dogs (the other two came later), and he LOVED -35F weather, so I'm pretty sure he's doing ok.

Edited by dotx