Buying A Motorbike With Tourist Visa (And Rental Contract)- Possible?

travelskr

Hello all,

We are here in Thailand for 6 months with tourist visa, looking to move here next year...question is can we buy a bike with a tourist visa and house rental contract? We have heard yes and no and yes and maybe and yes again...looking for a definitive answer from you experts out there! Thanks in advance!

You can ride quite legally here with a motorcycle licence from your country and an international driving permit, even though when I was using my Australian licence, I was never asked when stopped to see my international driving permit.

If you are from Singapore Malaysia or Laos you don't require an international driving permit. See http://www.thaivisa.com/320.0.html

That's all very well but you will need a Non-Immigrant visa of some type to obtain a Thai driving license and thus drive legally here.

That's all very well but you will need a Non-Immigrant visa of some type to obtain a Thai driving license and thus drive legally here.

Nope

most DLT issue one year Thai DL to touristvisa holders, some also to 15/30 days entrystamp holders

vehciles can be purchased and registrated to any passportholder with a valid permit to stay or entrystamp

in addition to passport, you need certificate of residence issued by your local Immigration or your embassy, both want a copy of your rentalagreement and some want a copy of tabien baan

above reply is based on +30 purchases/registration over past 9 years, just took delivery of a new car yesterday and had both my Thai DL renewed 2 weeks ago, touristvisa extension

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm Malaysian.Currently my passport had already stamped with 28 days visa free.

In this situation can I buy a vehicle in Thailand? Or I need to apply Certificate of Residence for buying purpose.

Thanks.

You need certificate of residence to legally buy motor vehicle and someone wrote they wouldn't except the copy of a valid certificate. These certificates are only good for 30 days.

I think i bought all my bikes (except one) when i was on 30 day visa,

i can hardly remember but if memory serve i was in a bit of stress,

so i guess you need 3 week valid visa, copy of rental contract,

and the papers for the transfer can be bought or given at a bike dealer

Hi,

I'm Malaysian.Currently my passport had already stamped with 28 days visa free.

In this situation can I buy a vehicle in Thailand? Or I need to apply Certificate of Residence for buying purpose.

Thanks.

You need certificate of residence to legally buy motor vehicle and someone wrote they wouldn't except the copy of a valid certificate. These certificates are only good for 30 days.

most Immigration issue certificates valid as long as your permit to stay, so 1 day to 365 days

I'm doing exactly what you want to do except on just an entry stamp... Rent your house, get a copy of the green/yellow?? book and ID of the owner... That will allow you to get a residence certificate.

Then you can use that to buy your bike.

Always helps to have a translator though... It would have been a nightmare if I tried to do it alone.

But I got my rental house and ER6N sitting outside in my name all with an entry stamp and legally... As far as I know.... Haha

Good luck,

Jerems

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

Edited by jerems