Android Operating Systems

Gary A

Do you guys have a second phone that you use while tinkering with different versions of Android? It appears that many guys run into problems and their phone either doesn't work or parts of it won't work properly.

I must admit that I have thought about buying an Android phone just to play with. It appears to be a good hobby.

a well-known moderator of this section talked me into installing oxygen the other week. Expect your phone look like command prompt for a while and you will browse websies with tech talk you wouldn't figure to exist.

Took me about three hours to get back to factory settings. blink.gifAngry Birds hi-scores are gone forever. If you're not yet suicidal, go for tinkering with Android phones...

For millions of Android users they just use the official release for their hardware and seem to enjoy the features, functions and application support their Android phone offers.

Some small percentage of enthusiasts and developers may make modifications to their OS. Most of these custom ROMs, kernels, tweaks, scripts, et al., are well documented. For those who may want to enhance or improve their phone I always recommend using a custom which was based on a pre-release for their specific model. Many Android phones have custom hardware which offer additional functionality (GPS, 3G, Video, camera, noise cancellation, etc.) so using a ROM which is made for that hardware means you get to keep/use those features.

I've had an Android device for 12 months now, and have flashed six custom ROMs. I usually wait for them to stabilize, by following the progress on XDA forums. I have not had any issues. I've been on the same ROM (2.3.5) for 3 months. It works really well for me, I do have some unique requirements, so no need to change. There are some Android 4.0 (ICS: Ice Cream Sandwich) custom ROMs getting close for my platform so may try those in January?

If you are planning on developing custom ROMs then it might be a good idea to get multiple phones, but then there is a developer for my phone who doesn't even have one!

Are you looking for a phone? Or a hobby? An Android phone could probably address both requirements.

I installed Oxygen on my HTC Desire when HTC were dragging their feet with the updates, and I never looked back. Tripled available space for apps, and the version I use now is the newest Gingerbread available, newer than the Google Nexus S version.

Never had a problem or anything not working properly or lost anything.

Still don't know where Raro went wrong, but given a little patience and with a little help from his friends it could surely have been fixed.

For millions of Android users they just use the official release for their hardware and seem to enjoy the features, functions and application support their Android phone offers.

Some small percentage of enthusiasts and developers may make modifications to their OS. Most of these custom ROMs, kernels, tweaks, scripts, et al., are well documented. For those who may want to enhance or improve their phone I always recommend using a custom which was based on a pre-release for their specific model. Many Android phones have custom hardware which offer additional functionality (GPS, 3G, Video, camera, noise cancellation, etc.) so using a ROM which is made for that hardware means you get to keep/use those features.

I've had an Android device for 12 months now, and have flashed six custom ROMs. I usually wait for them to stabilize, by following the progress on XDA forums. I have not had any issues. I've been on the same ROM (2.3.5) for 3 months. It works really well for me, I do have some unique requirements, so no need to change. There are some Android 4.0 (ICS: Ice Cream Sandwich) custom ROMs getting close for my platform so may try those in January?

If you are planning on developing custom ROMs then it might be a good idea to get multiple phones, but then there is a developer for my phone who doesn't even have one!

Are you looking for a phone? Or a hobby? An Android phone could probably address both requirements.

I have a good phone but would enjoy something to tinker with. I'll be using my Nokia E52 until it dies but it is kind of a boring phone.

I have a Milestone, which Motorola dropped support for almost immediately. Using the stock 2.2.1 upgrade the phone was useless. Rebooting, crashing, etc. If you go for hacking your phone, go to the XDA forums and find the specific development forum for the model of your phone. Then check out the CyanogenMod. It will almost always be one of the most actively developed roms. MIUI is also really cool, if you have a phone newer than mine it should run it well, and you'll be blown away by the difference. I'd run MIUI if I could, instead I stick to Cyanogen 7. MIUI needs too much ram for my phone.

http://www.cyanogenmod.com/

http://forum.xda-developers.com/

http://miuiandroid.com/

Edited by lleviathan

Which Android phone is the easiest to customize? It looks to me like a tossup between Samsung and HTC.

Not sure what your various requirements or budget might be but maybe look for a used phone to get your feet wet? A Samsung Galaxy S might be an option? Tons of developer support and easy to root, flash, mod, hack. Or on the lower end, an HTC Desire.

Edited by lomatopo

Definitely a hobby for me, also a new one. Your best bet before you buy the phone is consider your price range, then select a few phones then head over to the xda forum and look at the size of the community. If you give us a price range im sure TV members could come up with quite a few suggestions. Just off the top of my head with the new galaxy nexus coming out soon im sure there will be alot of last years version coming up on the market for a good price.

Which Android phone is the easiest to customize? It looks to me like a tossup between Samsung and HTC.

Not sure what your various requirements or budget might be but maybe look for a used phone to get your feet wet? A Samsung Galaxy S might be an option? Tons of developer support and easy to root, flash, mod, hack. Or on the lower end, an HTC Desire.

I have done a lot of reading and looking and decided that the Galaxy S would be my first choice. I'm not going to pay big money for a phone that I doubt I will use anyways. I don't really like touch screens. I did find a Galaxy S and made an inquiry. It was supposed to be like new and only used a couple of months. I would have given him the 8,000 baht he was asking but he never replied.

I'll keep my eyes open and no doubt I will eventually find one. The Galaxy S has better reviews than the Galaxy S2.

I have done a lot of reading and looking and decided that the Galaxy S would be my first choice. I'm not going to pay big money for a phone that I doubt I will use anyways. I don't really like touch screens. I did find a Galaxy S and made an inquiry. It was supposed to be like new and only used a couple of months. I would have given him the 8,000 baht he was asking but he never replied.

I'll keep my eyes open and no doubt I will eventually find one. The Galaxy S has better reviews than the Galaxy S2.

The SGS1 (I9000) original Samsung Galaxy S) can be found used for ~ 7,500 - 9,000 just make sure you get an original with the Super AMOLED screen and 16 GB (8 GB is OK), rather than a more recent variant which has an LCD screen. Remember this model supports 900/1900/2100 Mhz 3G so AIS/TOT ratehr than Truemove H/DTAC.

If you want a 850 Mhz version I think YSR Shop still has some new Captivates for 10,800. The Captivate is a SGS1 variant.

galaxy mini is 3990 because of some promo in the big C at the momennt but i doubt you will "enjoy" the android world on a screen as small as that

also the lower end phones have about half the processing power or less than their top of the range models (the slower ur hardware ,the less well the best fautiu

galaxy s2 is a phoenominal piece of hardware ,its expensive at 17,500 for an unlocked one but that still plenty cheaper than the new iphone which is on a promotion now for around 22.000

check youtube for comparisons of phones ,screens ,cpu speeds and of course the roms themselves

Edited by wana

Not sure of your needs... But if you don't really need a phone form factor you might take a look at the Galaxy Tab 7... It has been out a while and is presently priced at 12-14K baht... Next month Samsung will release the Tab 7 Plus and the Tab 7.7... So I would bet the present Tab 7 will drop in price to the 10K level...

It would make a great entry level device