PM Yingluck Affirms Amnesty Law's Fate Rests With Parliament

webfact

PM Affirms Amnesty Law's Fate Rests with Parliament

The prime minister insists the draft amnesty bill must be reviewed by Parliament regardless of whether it is renamed.

Speaking during her visit to the navy's headquarters, Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra said enactment of the the amnesty law or its renamed version, the reconciliation law, must be proceeded by Parliament given its detail must be debated by lawmakers of both chambers.

Yingluck stated the remark by Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yoobumrung over his continuous push for the amnesty law was merely a personal viewpoint and she cannot shape any party's move , but insisted the issue must pass the parliamentary process

The prime minister suggested the name of the law is not as important as its contribution to the restoration of the national unity and peace.

Asked about her stance over the amnesty law allegedly designed to benefit her fugitive brother Thaksin, the prime minister maintained she wants to see the reconciliation among the people and the indiscriminate use of law.

Meanwhile, Chalerm insisted the proposed renaming of the draft bill from the amnesty law to the reconciliation law is his own idea and it has nothing to do with the government.

Democrat's senior MP for Surat Thani Province Suthep Thaugsuban described Chalerm's proposal a deception to the general public, adding the latter should speak out frankly what his real motive behind the campaign is.

Suthep advised the government to refrain from moving ahead with issues prone to instigate the public discontent given it should serve the people rather than secure its popularity.

The opposition MP noted Chalerm's current moves aimed to score points for the fugitive de facto leader of his governing Pheu Thai Party, but they could backfire on the government.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-12-15

footer_n.gif

Worst flooding in decades, tourism down to a trickle, major foreign companies pulling out of Thailand, many people struggling to make ends meet and whats the number one priority for the new government, bring back Thaksin. So say they get their wish, what next? Will they actually start to work on helping the people who voted them in or will they continue helping the Thaksin family?

I am not sure what reconciliation means? Does that mean those who broke the law before can be vindicated and then we can say it was ok for them to break the law? Was it ok for Taksin to sell prime real estate in Bangkok to his wife and was it ok for him to not pay tax on his share sales to Singapore? What message does this say about Thailand; politicians can get away with corruption, unruly mobs can take over the centre of a city, setup a fortress, perform terrorist acts and shut down the city centre for a month? Are we going to now say this is acceptable behaviour?

While the coup maker did say we should not keep going back and what happened before was ok, I do agree with him that we should not keep revisiting the past, but move forward and deal with the now and future. The simple matter is that the law is there for all and those who don't respect it and wish to break it should expect to live with the consequences.

Edited by MaiChai

I am not sure what reconciliation means? Does that mean those who broke the law before can be vindicated and then we can say it was ok for them to break the law? Was it ok for Taksin to sell prime real estate in Bangkok to his wife and was it ok for him to not pay tax on his share sales to Singapore? What message does this say about Thailand; politicians can get away with corruption, unruly mobs can take over the centre of a city, setup a fortress, perform terrorist acts and shut down the city centre for a month? Are we going to now say this is acceptable behaviour?

While the coup maker did say we should not keep going back and what happened before was ok, I do agree with him that we should not keep revisiting the past, but move forward and deal with the now and future. The simple matter is that the law is there for all and those who don't respect it and wish to break it should expect to live with the consequences.

What I like best about this forum is

Every now and then someone comes along who has more between his ears, than air

Worst flooding in decades, tourism down to a trickle, major foreign companies pulling out of Thailand, many people struggling to make ends meet and whats the number one priority for the new government, bring back Thaksin. So say they get their wish, what next? Will they actually start to work on helping the people who voted them in or will they continue helping the Thaksin family?

Sick isn't it?

"Asked about her stance over the amnesty law allegedly designed to benefit her fugitive brother Thaksin, the prime minister maintained she wants to see the reconciliation among the people and the indiscriminate use of law."

If that wasn't a scripted answer, I eat my hat, and I'm 100% sure my hat is safe :P

And yes, with the current situation of the country, I can't do anything but agree with all the people pointing out how important this is for the government and how important it should really be... one person is not more important than a country, no matter how much money he has and how much money he can give you under the table...

Have a nice weekend everyone!

Surely you are wrong on this as I distinctly remember Yingluck spouting repeatedly "I will be there to serve the people and they are my number one priority" and "her brothers wishes are not a priority for this government". You believed her of course......didn't you....didn't you??????:unsure:.

"Meanwhile, Chalerm insisted the proposed renaming of the draft bill from the amnesty law to the reconciliation law is his own idea and it has nothing to do with the government"

Is he doing this on his own now and not working as part of the elected government?

"Meanwhile, Chalerm insisted the proposed renaming of the draft bill from the amnesty law to the reconciliation law is his own idea and it has nothing to do with the government"

Is he doing this on his own now and not working as part of the elected government?

Well he chairs Cabinet-meetings, fights crime & bombers, and knows 'who shot JR Seh-Daeng', but is only Deputy-PM, surely an oversight by He who Thinks so that the party/government know how to Act. Such a pity that the title 'Super-Man' is already taken ! :rolleyes:

But I'm sure he knows how to follow orders, when the true leader speaks, rather than the nominal boss pro-tem. B)