Best Gprs Method...

greenwanderer108

trying to decide whether to go for a GPRS USB modem or an aircard for my sony vaio laptop. i'll be staying in Chaloklum on Koh Phangan for 4-5 months this winter and need to connect for work (email, ftp, etc). my mobile phone isn't gprs capable so prefer either an aircard or usb. sounds like aircards are more expensive than the usb modems - are speeds similar? i'll need to use AIS as it's the only provider w/ service in Chaloklum, Koh Phangan. will i have to use AIS pre-paid (as a farang without work permit) or can i sign on for an unlimited plan? or can i get a thai friend to get an unlimited plan for me?

thanks for the feedback...

(bump)

Been using a GRPS modem for a month now (and am really happy with it and felt like writing a quick review), it's the Solomon GPRS USB Modem (Model SCWi275u) from one of the AIS Telewiz shops for 7,500 Baht. No cables required as the modem plugs directly into one of the USB ports on my aging Toshiba Satellite notebook. Perfect for those with old but not ancient notebooks, have an old mobile phone that doesn't do anything fancier than making and receiving phone calls (no GPRS functions), but would like internet access while on the road.

The "promotion" is still 40 hours a month for 300 Baht with the 1-2 Call Net Sim. More than enough time for my uses as I only need it when I'm at a construction site or in the car between Bangkok and Chonburi, or the rare occasion I'm stuck in Bangkok traffic or get caught offguard and find myself in a parking garage during one of those ubiquitous "midnight sales." There are "unlimited" plans available, but I didn't inquire as to those details. I've heard people say that they unlimited plans are about 1,000 Baht a month... easily affordable for anyone using GPRS for business purposes.

Speed is fine (although I only use it to do online banking and answer emails), very few noticeable slowdowns with about one month into using it. I use Loxinfo and True at home, but I'd imagine you can use this thing with your desktop computer as well.

WWW.THAILANDGPRS.COM

Some interesting info here.

Also combine your GPRS connection with ONSPEED accelerator for a much faster connections.

GPRS cards for sale, Sierra Wireless 775 only 13,900 baht. Free demonstration and installation at your home.