Thai Cabinet Okays Bail Funds For Jailed Red Shirts

webfact

"incentive" is not the only resource used to ensure compliance rixalex. Your point is an issue, for sure. But if someone is going to really skip bail, money is not going to stop them. That is why check-ins, tracking devices, restrictions on movement, etc, are all used, as well.

As an aside, it's interesting to hear the same person who considered the returning of a passport to a convicted on the run criminal as being "no biggie" - or words to that effect, now extolling the virtues of restricting movement on suspects. Yes, different cases, but definite parallels that can be drawn.

I have also referenced Thaksin in this thread already as an example.

His leaving the country was one thing. The government didn't do a very good job, did they? As noted here already - risk of flight is the main reason to deny bail regardless of the level of the bail.

My opinion on the re-issuing of his Thai passport I have explained already. But since you mention it here, 1) I tried to find a reason for the gov't to reissue his passport and could not find any benefit besides perhaps to Thaksin's own pride. Technically, I still do not see why or how it makes a difference to his situation. Because of that, 2) I did find it amazing at the time that the gov't expended political capital on his passport in spite of the fact that it seems to not change his situation at all. I found that to be illogical. Because these people are not stupid, I am assuming that there are other reasons that I don't know of, but maybe it really was just for his pride. Finally, 3) given that the action by the government seemed to be within the law, and given that it seemingly changes *nothing*, then yes, I did not particularly care about his passport being reissued. To be honest, I don't really care about his passport at all, Thai or otherwise.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BTW, I just came across the information that Scotland does not require any money or property to secure bail at all - a get out of jail free card, if you will. Those crazy Scots, eh?
You're getting a bit closer. Now just come across information where a country's government acts as bail bondsman for criminals a country's government prosecutors have charged.
don't need to get closer, your point has been dealt with already
Which is to say that Thailand's government uniquely provides bail money for those people it charges with crimes. .

That is your unproven claim.

But don't bother proving it for my sake. I never asked you to prove it.

"incentive" is not the only resource used to ensure compliance rixalex. Your point is an issue, for sure. But if someone is going to really skip bail, money is not going to stop them. That is why check-ins, tracking devices, restrictions on movement, etc, are all used, as well.

As an aside, it's interesting to hear the same person who considered the returning of a passport to a convicted on the run criminal as being "no biggie" - or words to that effect, now extolling the virtues of restricting movement on suspects. Yes, different cases, but definite parallels that can be drawn.

I have also referenced Thaksin in this thread already as an example.

His leaving the country was one thing. The government didn't do a very good job, did they? As noted here already - risk of flight is the main reason to deny bail regardless of the level of the bail.

My opinion on the re-issuing of his Thai passport I have explained already. But since you mention it here, 1) I tried to find a reason for the gov't to reissue his passport and could not find any benefit besides perhaps to Thaksin's own pride. Technically, I still do not see why or how it makes a difference to his situation. Because of that, 2) I did find it amazing at the time that the gov't expended political capital on his passport in spite of the fact that it seems to not change his situation at all. I found that to be illogical. Because these people are not stupid, I am assuming that there are other reasons that I don't know of, but maybe it really was just for his pride. Finally, 3) given that the action by the government seemed to be within the law, and given that it seemingly changes *nothing*, then yes, I did not particularly care about his passport being reissued. To be honest, I don't really care about his passport at all, Thai or otherwise.

It all comes down to principles, beliefs, laws and justice, and just because an act may be considered to have made no difference, or had no benefit, does not make it right or acceptable.

The question wasn't simply, should Thaksin be reissued his passport, but should convicted criminals who have skipped bail and gone on the run following a guilty verdict and a prison sentence, have a right to travel overseas - which is the only reason for needing a passport. Anyone who argues they do have that right, is frankly off their rocker.

Yes, it made little real difference to Thaksin, as he is rich enough to have been able to set himself up in a country that offers citizenship for the right price, but we can't say, well, as it makes little difference to Thaksin, let's just give it back to him. That's not an argument based on any sort of logic at all.

If Thaksin gets his back, then so should all convicted criminals on the run. Let's hear that ridiculous argument being make - at least then it would be a consistent ridiculous argument.

Edited by rixalex

Following on with the illogical and ridiculous line of argument, why not scrap Thaksin's prison sentence? I mean, it's not like he is ever going to serve it, so scrapping it will make no difference... and because it makes no difference, that must make it ok.

You're getting a bit closer. Now just come across information where a country's government acts as bail bondsman for criminals a country's government prosecutors have charged.

Which is to say that Thailand's government uniquely provides bail money for those people it charges with crimes. .

Despite your and geriatrickid's claims that other countries do the same as Thailand, neither of you have provided proof.

I made no claim that it is unequaled anywhere else in the world, just that I had never heard of it. You and your trolling partner attempted to misrepresent other situations as mirroring Thailand's practice, when they don't at all.

What's followed is at least half dozen posts by yourself to weasel your way out of your unproven claim and feebly attempting to put it back onto me.

That's when my initial supposition that it doesn't exist anywhere else.... is most likely accurate,

• Like 1

You really shouldn't try to use a condescending approach with me considering your position in Thailand. It's bad form and quite gauche.

Still waiting - What is my "position in Thailand" that keeps me from being condescending to you? lol

No worries Bucholtz - He still won't explain what he meant by this little gem as well...Still Waiting GK.

- sniper -

Despite your and geriatrickid's claims that other countries do the same as Thailand, neither of you have provided proof.

I made no claim that it is unequaled anywhere else in the world, just that I had never heard of it. You and your trolling partner attempted to misrepresent other situations as mirroring Thailand's practice, when they don't at all.

What's followed is at least half dozen posts by yourself to weasel your way out of your unproven claim and feebly attempting to put it back onto me.

That's when my initial supposition that it doesn't exist anywhere else.... is most likely accurate,

You like to ignore any post that actually counters what you believe ?

I have already shown you that it is possible elsewhere for a accused person to get out on bail without them posting a cent of the bail themselves which is also possible in Thailand. And it is done based on financial need - which is the part relevant to this OP. *You* claim that it doesn't matter since this result is not achieved elsewhere in exactly the same way as done in Thailand (ie: your problem is with the process, not the result) which is, frankly, irrelevant to the person being released, isn't it... ?

As I now go to the "ignore" button, I'll remind you of my previous comment regarding inert objects with keyboard interfaces....

• Like 1

You like to ignore any post that actually counters what you believe ?

I have already shown you that it is possible elsewhere for a accused person to get out on bail without them posting a cent of the bail themselves which is also possible in Thailand. And it is done based on financial need - which is the part relevant to this OP. *You* claim that it doesn't matter since this result is not achieved elsewhere in exactly the same way as done in Thailand (ie: your problem is with the process, not the result) which is, frankly, irrelevant to the person being released, isn't it... ?

< flaming snipped >

You haven't countered what I believe. You provided different situations with different results and attempt to equate the two.

You ignore glaring holes in your attempt to equate entirely different situations as if they were the same.

Which is a common ploy with Red Shirt Apologists.

Sad pathetic and immoral.

Sad pathetic and immoral ?...........

Nooo, HEre in this Country there is not yet the parameters we have been progemed to think with..... Welcome to the land of smiles.......... I'm not shocked at all. IT IS QUITE NORMAL IN THAILAND. Such things happen every second.

I was not so wrong with my post on that topic 2 or 3 days ago.

Smile ! It is done with the SMILE !! 555

This is surely a joke. It has to be.

Anybody ever seen this happen in any other country ....? I haven't and have lived in Asia for may many years ?? Wow!! totally incredible

!!

Despite the government defenders' attempts to cloud the issue, I've never seen this happen in any other country.

tlansford and his sidekicks poor attempt at comparing Scottish Bail with Thailands Bail system is sorely lacking!

Break your Bail in Thailand and you lose your Bail money, Break your Bail in Scotland and it carries 3mth to 12mth

Jail Sentence,over and and above any main Sentence,and also Electronic Tagging,and Reports to a Police Station,

so presumably this is enough of a deterrant,and hardly comparable with Thailands Free Bail System,eh?

Comparison, case unproven!

Edited by MAJIC
  • Like 1

This is surely a joke. It has to be.

Anybody ever seen this happen in any other country ....? I haven't and have lived in Asia for may many years ?? Wow!! totally incredible

!!

Despite the government defenders' attempts to cloud the issue, I've never seen this happen in any other country.

tlansford and his sidekicks poor attempt at comparing Scottish Bail with Thailands Bail system is sorely lacking!

Break your Bail in Thailand and you lose your Bail money, Break your Bail in Scotland and it carries 3mth to 12mth

Jail Sentence,over and and above any main Sentence,and also Electronic Tagging,and Reports to a Police Station,

so presumably this is enough of a deterrant,and hardly comparable with Thailands Free Bail System,eh?

Comparison, case unproven!

"Thailands Free Bail System" - No such thing exists.

The Justice Fund is not a gift. It is a financial support mechanism for people who need it. I think it is a dam_n good idea - one can argue about the implementation - but financial support for legal expenses has good reasons behind it. As for the Justice Fund, read the info posted and the links provided on the Justice Fund. The money is to be returned to the fund, it is not a gift.

You imply that Thailand does not use reports, check-in, tags, and so on. Do you know that Thailand does not use such legal devices? Do you know that the only penalty in Thailand for jumping bail is losing your bail money? I was not aware that Thailand did not use these common-sense tactics, nor did I know that if an accused person jumps bail that there is no other penalty than losing the bail money. If you do know these things, then that would be interesting information to add.

As for a comparison with Scotland, I hardly attempted that. But the fact that Scotland does not demand collateral for bail release was an interesting thing to learn during this thread, as were the details regarding the Justice Fund.

You really shouldn't try to use a condescending approach with me considering your position in Thailand. It's bad form and quite gauche.

Still waiting - What is my "position in Thailand" that keeps me from being condescending to you? lol

No worries Bucholtz - He still won't explain what he meant by this little gem as well...Still Waiting GK.

Just another one of his veiled threats.

• Like 1

There's not one country in the world where the government uses TAX PAYER money to pay the bail for terrorists and anarchists who tried to overthrow the government. For all the crap the Red apologists here have posted, I still have not read one example of any government in some other country paying the bail for some criminal the government is trying to prosecute in the first place. I guess we shouldn't be surprised. After all this is the PTP government. They can do as they hell please.

• Like 2

There's not one country in the world where the government uses TAX PAYER money to pay the bail for terrorists and anarchists who tried to overthrow the government. For all the crap the Red apologists here have posted, I still have not read one example of any government in some other country paying the bail for some criminal the government is trying to prosecute in the first place. I guess we shouldn't be surprised. After all this is the PTP government. They can do as they hell please.

A fair assessment .

"After all this is the PTP government. They can do as they hell please."

Maybe you missed the links where the Fund was used in the same way under the Abhisit government.

Or maybe you missed the parts about the Fund being for everyone in Thailand who needs it - even Farang.

Or maybe you missed the parts about governments letting people out on bail without them actually paying the posted bail themselves.

Or maybe you were not aware that there are many circumstances where people are released on bail, but the monetary amount is not paid at all.

Or maybe you and the others just want a reason to rant at the red apologists. coffee1.gif

Maybe you missed the links where the Fund was used in the same way under the Abhisit government.

Or maybe you missed the parts about the Fund being for everyone in Thailand who needs it - even Farang.

Or maybe you missed the parts about governments letting people out on bail without them actually paying the posted bail themselves.

Or maybe you were not aware that there are many circumstances where people are released on bail, but the monetary amount is not paid at all.

Or maybe you and the others just want a reason to rant at the red apologists. coffee1.gif

Yes looks like it doesn't it?

Am I the only one who thinks that what has happened in this thread is no better than a kindergarten playground spat? OK Thailand has a unique system to assist those who cannot raise their own bail, although similar if not identical provisions exist in other countriesfor a simple reason. Most democracies would not leave accused but unconvicted remand prisoners in jail for the length of time that these people have been there - otherwise it could only be regarded as detention without trial.

Edited by pastitche
  • Like 2

So it's FREE BAIL Then!

Did you take a good look at Somalia? Surely they must have similar policies in place.

Personally. I'm concerned for your reputation. You come off as some newbie ( to Thailand) ignoramus, but my feeling is you have some feeling for Thai people (at least your Isaan girlfriend). So my question to you is, why are you so adamant to support a figure whose family (whom I know socially) stole more from Thailand than anyone ever has before. Believe me when I tell you, these people are contemptuous of Thais. So, what's their allure for you?

• Like 1

Personally. I'm concerned for your reputation. You come off as some newbie ( to Thailand) ignoramus, but my feeling is you have some feeling for Thai people (at least your Isaan girlfriend). So my question to you is, why are you so adamant to support a figure whose family (whom I know socially) stole more from Thailand than anyone ever has before. Believe me when I tell you, these people are contemptuous of Thais. So, what's their allure for you?

Not wishing to incur your formidable wrath, but I would like to point out that neither tlansford's post nor the one he was replying to mentioned anything at all about Thaksin or his family. It was actually about the nature of the bail being planned for reds in detention.

Oh, I forgot, Thaksin is the red's God so any points in mitigation of them is a point in mitigation of Thaksin, right? Strange how after 6 months with a PTP government, there have been no mass red demonstrations about his continued absense. Ooops, forgot again - he doesn't want to come back and everything he wants is programmed into the reds/PTP. Those pesky reds must be positively straining at the effort of containing their adoration and....staying at home.

I really should start thinking a bit less. That way I might even end up understanding the "Thaksin = Red Shirts" equation. It seems so simple....

And by the way, I'd suggest you stop hanging out 'socially' with Thaksin's family - he belongs in jail and some of his relatives are also believed to be corrupt. Didn't you know?

Edited by hanuman1
  • Like 1

<quote> From the original post:

The 57 suspects were among 61 common members of the red-shirt movement and ordinary protesters detained at eight prisons - mostly in the Northeast - on charges ranging from violating the emergency decree to rioting, committing arson and pursuing terrorism. The other four had been acquitted.</quote>

Those are serious charges. Many of us posting here observed closely while downtown Bangkok was commandeered for two months in spring of 2010. 12 months earlier, the same group had rioted in Bangkok, threatening (among other things) to blow up an LPG tanker truck.

The OP mentions the specifics of the millions of bail money being requested and quickly approved by Thailand's parliament, which is dominated by 'Friends of Reds' PT party. It was a blanket bail - in other words ALL the Reds being held were freed. There appears to have been no consideration for the gravity of each individual's alleged crimes. Granted, Thai justice moves at a glacial pace and Thai investigative prowess scores abysmally low, but the standing gov't is essentially letting off people who are accused of torching shopping malls, killing ordinary people (plus killing military officers and cops), and storming a hospital. I say they're 'letting them go' because, with their bail paid by a sympathetic gov't body, they have no incentive to face justice, as long a Red-loving government is in the driver's seat.

the standing gov't is essentially letting off people who are accused of torching shopping malls, killing ordinary people (plus killing military officers and cops), and storming a hospital. I say they're 'letting them go' because, with their bail paid by a sympathetic gov't body, they have no incentive to face justice, as long a Red-loving government is in the driver's seat.

It's the Red Shirt interpretation of reconciliation.

Just another one of his veiled threats.

There is no threat. If you see one, then it suggests an underlying paranoia.

I suggest you read my comment again.

The use of a condescending tone is bad form and gauche. It's just not done in polite society. Even the nasty thugs I have had to attend to demonstrate some basic manners. It is particularly sad when such a tone is used by someone on the periphery of society. As you know, Thai society has a hierarchy. Foreigners that wish to interject themselves into political matters would do well to observe the protocols and hierarchy lest they get the social equivalent of a one way ticket to Coventry. In plain language a noodle shop operator really is not in the position of lecturing the Governor of the Bank of Thailand on fiscal policy. I

Not wishing to incur your formidable wrath, but I would like to point out that neither tlansford's post nor the one he was replying to mentioned anything at all about Thaksin or his family. It was actually about the nature of the bail being planned for reds in detention.

Oh, I forgot, Thaksin is the red's God so any points in mitigation of them is a point in mitigation of Thaksin, right? Strange how after 6 months with a PTP government, there have been no mass red demonstrations about his continued absense. Ooops, forgot again - he doesn't want to come back and everything he wants is programmed into the reds/PTP. Those pesky reds must be positively straining at the effort of containing their adoration and....staying at home.

I really should start thinking a bit less. That way I might even end up understanding the "Thaksin = Red Shirts" equation. It seems so simple....

And by the way, I'd suggest you stop hanging out 'socially' with Thaksin's family - he belongs in jail and some of his relatives are also believed to be corrupt. Didn't you know?

Yes, maybe you should start thinking a bit less. "Thinking too much" doesn't serve one well here. One tends to embue others with our own cultural thinking, and resist believing what we see with our own eyes. You don't need to give Thai politics too much thought, it's pretty simple. When unscrupulous people come to power they run roughshod over all others for their own benefit, in the most brazen of ways. Most of the people who come to power here are unscrupulous.

the standing gov't is essentially letting off people who are accused of torching shopping malls, killing ordinary people (plus killing military officers and cops), and storming a hospital. I say they're 'letting them go' because, with their bail paid by a sympathetic gov't body, they have no incentive to face justice, as long a Red-loving government is in the driver's seat.

It's the Red Shirt interpretation of reconciliation.

Actually, I disagree with this line of thinking. I think they have a great incentive to face justice now, and as soon as possible. This appears to be wired from beginning to end, so why not face justice, be declared a hero of the state, and go back to your village and bask in the admiration of everyone. I foresee their proud children following similar paths and when confronted for their misdeeds, angrily shouting "do you know who my father is"?

The justice fund, created and paid for by the government. Is for everyone. It is not a grant or a gift. It is a financial support for people who do not have the means to pay their legal expenses. This is recognized as a necessary support in many countries, not only in Thailand.

What is your point again?

I don't think anyone has a problem with people being given support to provide them legal representation, but support to provide them bail is quite another thing. The whole idea of bail is to allow people freedom but with some sort of assurance of their return to court. I don't see how, if people are given the money, there is any assurance whatsoever.

And where does it all stop? If you are saying that it is unfair for a poor man to be kept in jail because he can't afford 100,000 baht bail, surely it is equally as unfair to keep a well off man, who can't afford 10 million baht bail, behind bars. Basically anyone who can't afford bail should, following your argument, be provided with the money for bail. Forgive me for saying this, but seems a complete nonsense to me.

Deal with the problem of court cases taking so long, sure. Don't start letting people free with no incentive, should they be guilty, for them to return.

Agreed!

It is complete nonsense to give people free bail,it makes the whole thing a ridiculous International laughing stock.

The Courts may as well,let them all out with no Bail,which is virtually,what has been done,a kind of Bail on credit,never to be paid.

Any of the accused can jump Bail with no loss to them,and no gain to the Courts,or reason to return,if the case is going against them,just disappear before the Verdict is announced.

Start thinking too much about these crazy ill conceived decisions and it's the quickest route to the local asylum,

I must go and lay down.

Plus, this country already has serious problems with ack of respect for law and order with senior members of parliamnet some of the worst offenders, already taking the country further steps towards being a lawless and out of control. These ridiculous actions on bail, regardless of whether it's any colour shirts or any party certainly doesn't help. Ensuring that all citizens have legal representation in theory supports respect for the law.

Edited by scorecard