Teaching In Thailand

gbt71fa

I know this is the "Teaching in Thailand" forum but I just got a job offer in Taiwan to teach at a highschool. The pay comes out to close to $2000 U.S. dollars a month, not including housing subsidy. I was wonder if anybody knew the style of living in Taiwan compared to Thailand. I know the U.S. dollar is around 33 to 1 but how far does it go in Taiwan. Also, I haven't heard much about the educational system in Taiwan but what I have heard seems pretty positive. The school I would be teaching at seems regimented, including physical education (almost military-like). One last question, how would my Thai fiance adapt to living in Taiwan for a year? Would it too much of a culture shock and how homesick might she get? Thank you for any and all help.

Edited by gbt71fa

I don't really know the conditions there, but at a guess I'd say it sounds low, especially if you're in the heart of Taipei where rents will be higher.

For most countries where I've had any experience, it's better to show up and look for a job (at the right time of year) than try to get hired from abroad- you'll always get lower salaries from abroad because they know you don't know the score. Of course, you'll have to start with some money to live on while you're looking there. Good luck.

For most countries where I've had any experience, it's better to show up and look for a job (at the right time of year) than try to get hired from abroad- you'll always get lower salaries from abroad because they know you don't know the score.

There is an exception to this rule as I have been told.

That is that International Schools hire from overseas as it has status points with the parents to have a Western teacher. So an international school teacher hired from overseas may command salary and benefits that are twice as much or more than a teacher hired locally.

This is for Thailand and I suspect it holds in other Asian countries as well.

Any disagreements ??

[ There is an exception to this rule as I have been told.

That is that International Schools hire from overseas as it has status points with the parents to have a Western teacher. So an international school teacher hired from overseas may command salary and benefits that are twice as much or more than a teacher hired locally.

This is for Thailand and I suspect it holds in other Asian countries as well.

Any disagreements ??

the school I am looking at says that they teaching in "the Western Way" and have many international students. I was just wondering how far $2000 U.S. dollars a month will go in Taiwan, in cities and in the countryside?

Man, you're crazy if you take the job there for only $2,000(80,000 baht) a month. This is based on many people I know who have been there.

The cost of living is much higher than here and you could surely save more here if you are experienced.

In Bkk it isn't hard to earn 50,000 a month. if you want to work your arse off you could earn more.

Why not get a job in a high school for 35,000 a month(I think that is the going rate), making sure you have a block schedule - only mornings or afternoons, or 3/4 days a week and work on Saturdays and Sundays.

I was offered a job paying 8400 baht a week(12 hours) for Sat/Sun, this was a couple of years ago. This is about 35,000 a month + your other 35,000 + some corporate work in the evenings. This would give you more than your $2,000 a month in Taiwan and give you the laid-back living of Thailand.

I know this is the "Teaching in Thailand" forum but I just got a job offer in Taiwan to teach at a highschool.  The pay comes out to close to $2000 U.S. dollars a month, not including housing subsidy.  I was wonder if anybody knew the style of living in Taiwan compared to Thailand.  I know the U.S. dollar is around 33 to 1 but how far does it go in Taiwan.  Also, I haven't heard much about the educational system in Taiwan but what I have heard seems pretty positive.  The school I would be teaching at seems regimented, including physical education (almost military-like).  One last question, how would my Thai fiance adapt to living in Taiwan for a year?  Would it too much of a culture shock and how homesick might she get?  Thank you for any and all help.

I taught in Taipei in 2003 and I liked it a lot.

OIf you're earning NT$65K you will live fine. The highest cost is housing, something decent on your own will cost US$400. The key is to share a nice big place with other westerners and that's not hard to do. Best is to try and be close to the MRT (subway, built by Siemens samesame BKK subway and skytrain).

Housing cost aside, Tw is not expensive, not as cheap as Thailand to be sure but not expensive.

Food is dead cheap and good, clothes are cheap once you learn where to go as there is a big garment industry in Tw so lots of over-runs etc for bargain hunters.

Teaching is easy, the Taiwanese are unlike Thais. They value learning, are higly motivated and ambitious. Regimented? Yes, their system is more geared to rote than in the west but you can bring a lot of your own stuff to it and break that down.

Taiwanese are also very smart, funny and generous. I went there because of all the groups I had taught I liked them the most.

Taipei is very international, more efficient than Thailand, quite compact in area and very easy to get around but samesame bad air.

There is tons of info on www.tealit.com including shared housing.

BKK is 3 1/2 hours away and you can get air tickets for NT$8000 round trip so fairly easy/cheap for visits to Thailand.

Don't know your GF so can't say. Keep her busy, there are many Thai restos maybe she can get a part-time job, Taiwanese don't mind paying cash wages.

• 1 month later...

Just found this post, I hope I am not too tardy in the information that I have to provide.

I agree that the Taiwanese value education. I also feel the students will be better behaved.

I lived in Taiwan for 2 years, from 91-93. I found the place to be beautiful, fun, over all a great place. The people are gracious, the food is good, and cheap.

I lived there on a budget of 240 USD a month. Yes that is 240 USD. Housing was provided, but utilities were not. I survived every month, but I would not recomend that type of spartin life style.

From what I have been told, 15K USD a year for natives, is considered good money.

You could try looking on the TES website for more info .... they have a 'staffroom' section with forums similar to this .... go to the teaching overseas section and you might be able to find people already living in Taiwan that could give you info (and maybe even someone working at the same school). Hope this helps.

One last question, how would my Thai fiance adapt to living in Taiwan for a year? Would it too much of a culture shock and how homesick might she get? Thank you for any and all help.

Your wife's homesickness might just depend on her personality. If it's for a year then it's not really a long time - and you'll be having trips back right?

Anyway, you'd better check you're wife's visa status because relations between the 2 countries are not very good and they are not inclined to handing out long visas to each others residents.