Samui Back To Normal As Floodwaters Recede

george

Samui back to normal as floodwaters recede

Surat Thani: -- Floodwaters in Koh Samui have receded and the local airport has resumed operations. Restoration of the island's damaged infrastructure was under way.

Surat Thani Governor Vichit Vichaisarn said yesterday that water levels in most of the flooded areas had receded.

The overall situation on the resort island has returned to normal and roads which cut through Chaweng and Lamai beaches are now passable. Samui airport is also back in service as main roads on the island have reopened to traffic.

The ferry service has also resumed.

Seventeen large water pumps were deployed in flood-prone areas of Chaweng, Lamai, and Pru Chaweng beaches and at a ring road in tambon Bo Pud to drain flood waters into the sea.

Provincial maintenance officials, with the help of military personnel, were ordered to repair the flood-battered roads as soon as possible.

In Surat Thani's Phrasaeng and Khian Sa districts, help was slowly getting across to the flood victims and the damage to property being assessed. Farmers also received hay for feeding livestock as a wide expanse of grassland was inundated.

Meanwhile, prices of consumer goods have gone up by 3-5%, and the cost of public transport is also expected to rise, compounding the hardship of local residents.

Aroon Maithip, chief of Surat Thai's internal trade office, confirmed that hawkers had hiked the prices of consumer goods after inspecting Samui's three main markets in Na Thon, Lamai and Chaweng.

Vendors have now been told to attach price tags to products.

Surat Thani saw more scattered showers yesterday.

The highest level of rainfall was measured at 57.5mm on Koh Samui and 57.3mm on the nearby Koh Phangan.

The Meteorological Department warned residents of Prachuap Khiri Khan, Chumphon, and Surat Thani to brace for possible flash floods and run-offs that may be triggered by a depression gathering force in the Gulf of Thailand.

Fishermen have been advised to take precaution as rough seas were predicted in the Gulf of Thailand.

--Bangkok Post 2005-12-05

back to normal? No way there is a river still in my drive way. Never before seen it like this in 8 years,. Not normal, it is a moldy mess here!

Please can someone help me find a daily satalight photo of the weather for Thailand. The Yahoo one sucks!

I would love to be able to see a clear photo of whats going on I am going crazy here in all the rain and need to see some hope!

Bye

back to normal? No way there is a river still in my drive way. Never before seen it like this in 8 years,. Not normal, it  is a moldy mess here!

Please can someone help me find a daily satalight photo of the weather for Thailand. The Yahoo one sucks!

I would love to be able to see a clear photo of whats going on I am going crazy here in all the rain and need to see some hope!

Bye

Have a look at this site

http://www.tmd.go.th/index_eng.php

Gives hourly radar pics from Suratthani, Songkhla and Chumpon and the Satun Gas Field Rig.

I agree there is still a lot of water on the roads and the Beach Road by Times Square was well flooded this morning although one of the pumps they refer to was in place although I was not sure it was actually working! The road through Laem Din was a high as ever and although I suspect I could have got through, I took the back road by the Chinese Temple which was pretty clear. More showers forecast so I doubt it will get much better over the next few days. The Military were certainly around and working hard near the Bophut traffic lights yesterday - with what success I do not know.

Can't last much longer can it?

Doesn't work for me, I am using firefox tho. All I get is either a page full of numbers or a scan of Central Thailand :o

We are getting scattered showers with heavy rain sometimes, clearing a bit and then more showers. OK, the ground is totally saturated now, it squishes when I walk. I have had enough now and think the drought is probably solved for a while. TRUCE!! I surrender! :D

The weather may be normal if you are a duck!

For the best forecasting tool use www.windguru.cz It gives you a 3 hourly forecast for windspeed,direction,cloud cover,wave height,lenght and direction and rain.Search for Samui because the homepage forecast is Hawaii.

Judging by that site you have a few more days of this rubbish left.I bailed out yesterday.Its lovely and warm in Bangers.

Never seen Samui look so grotty.Rubbish and mud everywhere.Hardly paradise at the moment.

The weather may be normal if you are a duck!

For the best forecasting tool use www.windguru.cz  It gives you a 3 hourly forecast for windspeed,direction,cloud cover,wave height,lenght and direction and rain.Search for Samui because the homepage forecast is Hawaii.

Judging by that site you have a few more days of this rubbish left.I bailed out yesterday.Its lovely and warm in Bangers.

Never seen Samui look so grotty.Rubbish and mud everywhere.Hardly paradise at the moment.

Yes it looks pretty bleak for the next few days.

Attached photos taken this morning

Near Bandon Hospital

Bangrak

Bophut

However, the pumps are up and working and the Beach Road by Times Square which was well flooded yesterday morning was pretty well clear by early afternoon. Once the rain stops there will be some repair work to be done without a doubt but things should get back to normal fairly quickly.

post-24425-1133847168_thumb.jpg

post-24425-1133847261_thumb.jpg

post-24425-1133847335_thumb.jpg

back to normal? No way there is a river still in my drive way. Never before seen it like this in 8 years,. Not normal, it  is a moldy mess here!

Bye

Have a look at this site

http://www.tmd.go.th/index_eng.php

Gives hourly radar pics from Suratthani, Songkhla and Chumpon and the Satun Gas Field Rig.

I agree there is still a lot of water on the roads and the Beach Road by Times Square was well flooded this morning although one of the pumps they refer to was in place although I was not sure it was actually working! The road through Laem Din was a high as ever and although I suspect I could have got through, I took the back road by the Chinese Temple which was pretty clear. More showers forecast so I doubt it will get much better over the next few days. The Military were certainly around and working hard near the Bophut traffic lights yesterday - with what success I do not know.

Can't last much longer can it?

There is a better satellite map with animation at: http://www.weather.com/maps/geography/asia...e_animated.html

:o

Have just driven right round the island and the Ring Road situation is as follows.

From Bangkok Samui Hospital going north there is still a lot of standing water through as far as Tesco, then again on the stretch between Bandon Hospital and the Bophut lights. The usual area around Anantara is flooded but clears by the time you get to Bophut Spa. There is a great deal of water on the road between Bophut and Maenam, but Maenam was clear and then through to Nathon was generally OK with a few areas of standing water.

From Nathon it was pretty clear all the way through to Lamai - the occasional pool, but nothing serious. Lamai was clear through to the junction with the Beach Road and then stretches of water on and off through to just past the IT Centre then clear back to Bangkok Hospital.

Earlier I came down the Beach Road and the Times Square area was not too bad. The Lake Road was well flooded by the junction with the new Lake Road and in several areas through to the main road.

The biggest danger at the moment are the numerous potholes that have opened up, some quite deep and wide and many hidden by standing water. In some areas the water is hiding large areas of sand and gravel washed down from the hills which has caught a few bike riders out.

Two days to arrival in Samui and the weather still seems to be really bad…I guess my first Thailand visit want be as sunny as I was hoping for. I was planning to stay in Samui for 6 nights but now I’m thinking going somewhere else, do you have any suggestions?

Two days to arrival in Samui and the weather still seems to be really bad…I guess my first Thailand visit want be as sunny as I was hoping for. I was planning to stay in Samui for 6 nights but now I’m thinking going somewhere else, do you have any suggestions?

Well, actually the weather is looking better today, I can see some blue sky and I only got a little bit wet today on the way to work. My boss is in Phuket and says its also raining, although another friend just came from Pattaya and says it was quite sunny there. So maybe you could try there? But I would say just go to Samui - the weather really HAS to clear up soon.