Air Purifiers

souldesire

Hi.Ive been told I suffer from dry eyes and general eye,throat problems due to

the weather here.The doctor at the allergy clinic in Bangkok also said to buy

an air purifier.Does anyone suffer these symptons?own an air purifier?

I'd be very grateful for advice.

Cheers. :o

There are a bunch of differnt air filters out there, I think they all come with HEPA labels/ratings for room size etc. (in the states they do)

Have you checked the filters on your AC unit? they can get pretty nasty, its certainly worth looking at. I was amazed at the mold I found in the AC unit of an apartment I was staying in once. Some come with hard filters, the kind you have to buy a new one for and some come with simple "sponge/foam" like filters that you just pull out and wash.

If you have allergies you need a HEPA filter. Other kinds don't filter out that pesky tiny pollen and those nasty mold spores that cause most people's allergies. These particles are smaller than the holes in regular air filters.

Filters are rated for the size room they will be used in, so choose a room and buy the right size for that room. It's best to filter the air in your bedroom, since you spend a good stretch of time there every night. You must keep the windows closed so as to not let more pollen and mold into the room once you are filtering the air. You don't need to run the filter 24/7, but it sure helps.

Those "Ionic" filters are next to worthless for a person with real allergies. They just don't remove enough of the allergens to be effective.

This place has a lot of good info if you are just learning how to deal with your allergies. I recommend getting dust mite enclosures for your mattress and pilows if there is any suspicion of dust mite allergy. That one step really made a difference in my life. Bless that allergist who told me I was allergic to dust mites (based on symptoms) even when the scratch tests were negative!