2012 Cbr 1000 Rr

SumetCycle

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brian,

Are you going to do the derestriction now? It sounds like (since you got the akropovic exhaust and K&N filters, you are already half way through deristricting it). All you really need is an ECU (and maybe changing out the wiring harness). With those mods the bike is supposed to make (in U.S. spec trim) 177 hp (instead of 120hp) at the crank and 151 hp to the rear wheel with 77 foot/pound torque. http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/9/13348/Motorcycle-Article/2012-Superbike-Smackdown-IX-Street.aspx

Yeah, I know I said I would wait, but now since I have the exhaust, I'm going to complete it. I'm not worried about the warranty, the engine was designed to run at full power. I'm going to try the full spec power converter first. If it doesn't work I'll just get a new full spec ECU and wiring harness.

The exhaust was only 30,000 in Hong Kong. The full spec power converter was about 9,000. I can't remember how much for the K&N filter, but it wasn't much. Assuming it works, the cost of derestriction is going to be much cheaper than I expected. Got the plate and green book already, now I just need a bit more power.

...now I just need a bit more power.

a "bit" more power? Your going up nearly 50% in power from what you have now. (120hp to nearly 180hp)

I wouldn't worry about the warranty either. I mean, if it were me, I could not deal with it not being at full power. If anything catastrophic went wrong, I'd just swap the parts back to stock and take it in for warranty.

I really don't know about those power converter/derestrictor thingies. From my experience with Honda, anything less than OEM parts will trigger another problem. I think it might be cheaper than 9,000 baht to get a used ECU. But of course it's your bike...so good luck and happy trails with your toy!

a "bit" more power? Your going up nearly 50% in power from what you have now. (120hp to nearly 180hp)

I wouldn't worry about the warranty either. I mean, if it were me, I could not deal with it not being at full power. If anything catastrophic went wrong, I'd just swap the parts back to stock and take it in for warranty.

I really don't know about those power converter/derestrictor thingies. From my experience with Honda, anything less than OEM parts will trigger another problem. I think it might be cheaper than 9,000 baht to get a used ECU. But of course it's your bike...so good luck and happy trails with your toy!

You might be right about the ECM, but I have heard very good things about Magical Racing. They do a lot of high quality performance parts and a lot of guys in Japan derestrict their bikes this way. I'm not sure, but perhaps it is some sort of ECM reflash.

I've also been told I am going to need a Euro spec air manifold to go along with the other mods. I ordered it today and it should arrive in two weeks.

After everything is done, Two Wheels Magazine wants to do a test on a runway at one of the old air force bases. We are going to mount a cam pointing at the speedo to confirm if the derestriction actually worked. Scoop to follow.

This article has the 2012 HP at 151. Must be at the rear wheel though. http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/114/13352/Motorcycle-Article/2012-Honda-CBR1000RR-Street-Comparison.aspx They have torque at 77.25 lb-ft. The restricted version has 70 lb-ft so it is already pretty close.

• 3 weeks later...

I had the American spec velocity stacks installed and fully opened up the air box today. However, Big Wing were not willing to install the Magical Racing piggy back. I've got a guy who used to tune bikes for Feem that is going to do it next week though. So far with the Akrapovic exhaust, K&N filter, derestricted air box, and full size velocity stacks both HP and torque have increased about 15% according to the dyno graphs. Riding home there was a very noticeable difference in acceleration and of course sound.

I had the American spec velocity stacks installed and fully opened up the air box today. However, Big Wing were not willing to install the Magical Racing piggy back. I've got a guy who used to tune bikes for Feem that is going to do it next week though. So far with the Akrapovic exhaust, K&N filter, derestricted air box, and full size velocity stacks both HP and torque have increased about 15% according to the dyno graphs. Riding home there was a very noticeable difference in acceleration and of course sound.

Do you have reference numbers on that dyno from a full spec bike to go by? if not, you'll never really know how close you are to full spec as dyno numbers vary by a bunch.

Do you have reference numbers on that dyno from a full spec bike to go by? if not, you'll never really know how close you are to full spec as dyno numbers vary by a bunch.

No reference numbers. Most sites I've seen have it at about 153 for RWHP and 77 lb-ft for torque. I already had the exhaust and K&N filter on the bike, so they used a stock restricted bike as a base line. They then did a dyno on my bike with the aftermarket exhaust and filter. They then ran a second dyno with the full size velocity stacks. I'll do one more dyno next week after I install the piggyback. It doesn't have to be exact. I'll just be happy to get it close to full spec.

No reference numbers. Most sites I've seen have it at about 153 for RWHP and 77 lb-ft for torque. I already had the exhaust and K&N filter on the bike, so they used a stock restricted bike as a base line. They then did a dyno on my bike with the aftermarket exhaust and filter. They then ran a second dyno with the full size velocity stacks. I'll do one more dyno next week after I install the piggyback. It doesn't have to be exact. I'll just be happy to get it close to full spec.

It depends what correction factor they use. some dynos will show RWHP and some will correct to HP at the crank and there's also "happy" dynos which give high numbers... I've had my US spec 08 CBR done at Dirtshop which gives low numbers, mine ran 135hp stock and 145hp with IRC-1/PC3/Full yoshi.

It depends what correction factor they use. some dynos will show RWHP and some will correct to HP at the crank and there's also "happy" dynos which give high numbers... I've had my US spec 08 CBR done at Dirtshop which gives low numbers, mine ran 135hp stock and 145hp with IRC-1/PC3/Full yoshi.

Thanks, I was wondering what correction factor meant. It actually said no correction on the screen, so I guess it was rwhp. I think I'll do a dyno run at Dirt Shop too, just to compare it with Big Wing's dyno numbers.

Sent from my HTC One X using Thaivisa Connect App

Thanks, I was wondering what correction factor meant. It actually said no correction on the screen, so I guess it was rwhp. I think I'll do a dyno run at Dirt Shop too, just to compare it with Big Wing's dyno numbers.

Sent from my HTC One X using Thaivisa Connect App

Yep...I think it's only around 600baht for a run on the dyno....I might bring my bike back down when i get the new rings/gasket on to see what numbers it pull now.

I had the Magical Racing full spec power converter installed the other day. The settings were a pain, as they were in Japanese and had to be translated. Basically there are three types of settings. One for the front sprocket, one for the rear sprocket, and one for the electronic steering damper. You need to input the amount of teeth for the front and rear sprockets. This allows for future changes in sprocket sizes. You then need to input whether you want the damper at stock setting, medium setting, or track setting. Coming back along Viparwadee the bike seemed a lot more powerful and sounded completely different. The only problem is that the speedo is not working. It stays stuck at zero for some reason. Off to Big Wing tomorrow to hopefully get this sorted, as well as to do another dyno run.

post-121278-0-15685800-1348824014_thumb.

post-121278-0-15008800-1348824019_thumb.

I had the Magical Racing full spec power converter installed the other day. The settings were a pain, as they were in Japanese and had to be translated. Basically there are three types of settings. One for the front sprocket, one for the rear sprocket, and one for the electronic steering damper. You need to input the amount of teeth for the front and rear sprockets. This allows for future changes in sprocket sizes. You then need to input whether you want the damper at stock setting, medium setting, or track setting. Coming back along Viparwadee the bike seemed a lot more powerful and sounded completely different. The only problem is that the speedo is not working. It stays stuck at zero for some reason. Off to Big Wing tomorrow to hopefully get this sorted, as well as to do another dyno run.

do they have dyno and big wing? and as a cbr250 owner, can is pay and use it as well?

good luck with your speedo/

do they have dyno and big wing? and as a cbr250 owner, can is pay and use it as well?

Yes, they do have a dyno. I'll check tomorrow to see if it is available for bikes that were not bought at Big Wing.

Yes, they do have a dyno. I'll check tomorrow to see if it is available for bikes that were not bought at Big Wing.

i would love to hear from you about big wing dyno and how much it is?

hope to hear.

• 3 months later...

Just an update, if anyone is interested. My bike is now derestricted. It has been confirmed by Big Wing's Dyno, but the numbers seem a bit low. It is now putting out 131.49 hp at the rear wheel and 99.40 N-M for torque. I may try another dyno at Dirt Shop, but I am very happy with the bike as is. Restricted it would cut out at 100 HP @7,500 RPM. It would also lock top speed at 190. The dyno also confirmed that it is now capable of doing just under 300 KPH. I got it up to 204 KPH on a recent trip up to Kao Yai. What a feeling.

The full spec power converter piggyback I put on is pretty cool, as it allows you to program in the amount of teeth if you make sprocket changes. It also allows you to program in three different adjustments for the electronic steering damper.

Motorcycle U.S.A. has max HP at only 151.27 which must be at the rear wheel.

For the Akrapovic Exhaust, full size velocity stacks, K&N filter, and full spec power converter it was about 50,000 baht.

post-121278-0-16049800-1357363154_thumb.

Edited by SumetCycle

Here is the final dyno for my bike. 99.40 N-M converts to 73.3 ft lb, which is pretty close to the 77.24 ft lb that Motorcycle U.S.A gave it.

That's hp graph looks a bit of a mess, not very smooth above 9500rpm and would be a handful to push hard at the track. Here's my Dyno numbers from Dirt shop which reads really low. Blue line is bone stock 08 CBR1000 and Red line is with full Yoshi, IRC and PCIII.

post-113955-0-86965300-1357367396_thumb.

This Dyno chart is from the Tyga Dyno,

Green line - 2012 CBR1000, full Yoshi, zbomb and bazzaz Zfi

Red line - 08 CBR1000, full akra, zbomb and bazzaz Zfi, modified head and cams

post-113955-0-25323200-1357367601_thumb.

Here is the final dyno for my bike. 99.40 N-M converts to 73.3 ft lb, which is pretty close to the 77.24 ft lb that Motorcycle U.S.A gave it.

That's hp graph looks a bit of a mess, not very smooth above 9500rpm and would be a handful to push hard at the track. Here's my Dyno numbers from Dirt shop which reads really low. Blue line is bone stock 08 CBR1000 and Red line is with full Yoshi, IRC and PCIII.

Yes, yours looks much smoother. The stock reading from the Dirt Shop dyno looks a bit messy after 9,500 RPM as well. Anything I can do to improve mine?

Yes, yours looks much smoother. The stock reading from the Dirt Shop dyno looks a bit messy after 9,500 RPM as well. Anything I can do to improve mine?

The US spec bikes are restricted above 10,500rpm and that's what you see in the stock graph, the IRC-1 or zbomb makes it full spec but you need a fuel controller (power commander or bazzaz) to fix the fueling. What are you using to adjust fuel? If you haven't adjusted the fuel map then you'll be running really lean up top, do. Have an AFR graph?

Edited by newf

So thai and us bikes are restricted that must explain the 151 bhp on usa motorcycles review,so is it europe and the rest of the world that get a totally unrestricted cbr and what should the correct bhp be i have seen honda claiming 178 bhp

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Thaivisa Connect App

2008-present CBR1000 are 178hp at the crank, US spec restriction is a quick $60 fix to get back the 5-7hp that its missing above 10,500rpm. The jap spec are not so easy and very expensive to get FULL spec. The UK Dyno numbers seem to always be higher on every bike STD vs SAE hp. That's why it's always good to get a base number from whatever Dyno u plan to use and then start your upgrades to see how much increase u get. My BMW has dynoed 200+hp on the France team Dyno but would probably only hit around 180hp on the TYGA Dyno.