Thailand Boosts Security After Bangkok Blasts

webfact

Thailand boosts security after Bangkok blasts

by Anusak Konglang

BANGKOK, February 16, 2012 (AFP) - Tourist magnet Thailand has tightened security after a failed bomb plot in Bangkok, officials said Thursday, as Israel accused regional foe Iran of unleashing a terror campaign in world capitals.

The kingdom has found itself caught up in a war of words between the Jewish state and Tehran, with Israel blaming the Islamic republic for a series of botched explosions in the Thai capital on Tuesday.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said a spate of blasts in India and Thailand had exposed Iran's "terrorist activities".

"Nations of the world must condemn these incidents and draw red lines against this Iranian aggression," he added.

Thai authorities said they had stepped up security at embassies and tourist areas, but said Israeli diplomats rather than the general public were thought to have been the target of the failed plot.

Thai police chief Phrewphan Damapong said that Israeli diplomats were the intended target of the botched plot, which came to light following an apparently unintended explosion at a house in Bangkok on Tuesday.

Thailand charged two Iranians Wednesday in connection with the third bomb incident to shake world capitals in less than 24 hours, but Tehran has rejected Israeli accusations that it is behind a terror campaign.

Bangkok is seeking the extradition of a third suspect arrested Wednesday in Malaysia after fleeing the kingdom.

"We will expedite the process," Phrewphan said.

One of the fleeing Iranian suspects had his legs blown off as he hurled an explosive device at Thai police, officials said.

Israel accused Iran over the Bangkok plot, as well as attacks on Israeli embassy staff in India and Georgia on Monday.

An Israeli diplomat in New Delhi suffered grave shrapnel wounds when a motorbike assailant attached a bomb to her car.

Iran, which has already denied responsibility for the Delhi and Tbilisi incidents, said it had no link to the Bangkok blasts and blamed what it called "elements linked with the (Israeli) Zionist regime".

Observers said the use of motorbike assassins to blow up targets' cars with magnetic bombs closely mirrored the method used to murder nuclear scientists in Iran in the past two years.

Thai police said explosives and magnets were found inside a house used by the suspects.

Adding to jitters in the Middle East, Iran on Wednesday said it had made fresh progress in advancing its disputed nuclear programme.

With international concern growing over the tension between Israel and Iran, Japan on Wednesday urged the Jewish state not to take military action against Iran.

Bangkok has been on the watch for a terror attack since police last month charged a Lebanese man suspected of planning a strike, following a US warning that tourist areas might be targeted.

Authorities said Thursday they had boosted police patrols at Bangkok's Suvarnabhumi Airport, the main gateway into the kingdom, whose tourist-friendly image has been tested by a series of security scares as well as last year's devastating floods.

"We are stepping up overall surveillance and will focus on passengers behaving suspiciously as well as abandoned luggage or packages," said airport director Somchai Sawasdeepon.

Hotels have also been put on alert, particularly in major tourist destinations such as Phuket and Koh Samui, while countries including Britain and the United States have urged their nationals to be vigilant.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2012-02-16

Airports-railway stations-bus terminals step up security after Bangkok explosions

BANGKOK, 16 February 2012 (NNT) - Security has been beefed up at the country's main airport, railway stations and bus terminals after several countries issued alert messages for foreigners residing or traveling in Thailand.

Mr. Somchai Sawasdeepon, Director of Suvarnabhumi Airport, said that the security inside and around the airport has been raised, with 30% more police officers and security guards on duty around the clock, since 3 explosions went off in a residential area of Bangkok on Tuesday.

Meanwhile, Mr. Wuthichart Kalyanamitra, President of the Transport Company, revealed that all incoming and outgoing buses are now being screened and checked while security measures at all terminals have been stepped up as well. Mr. Wuthichart added that the Transport Company has requested more plain-clothes and uniform policemen to station at the terminals.

In addition, State Railway of Thailand (SRT) Governor Yuthana Thapcharoen said that heightened security, with the collaboration from local police stations, has been implemented at all train stations and train tracks. At Bangkok's Hua Lamphong Railway Station, the operation hours are now limited to between 5 am and midnight, while SRT will no longer allow anyone to spend the night inside the station, for safety reason.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2012-02-16 footer_n.gif

Well I certainly feel much more assured that the potential problems are being addressed. When you increase the existing security force by 30% , I reckon that means an additional chair for them to nap in and another motorbike parking space occupied.

• Like 1

"

THE NATION February 16, 2012 1:00 am

An Iranian man arrested in connection with Tuesday's blasts in Bangkok has been stripped of Thai residence status, Immigration Police chief Pol Lt-General Wibool Bangthamai said yesterday.

How the hell are these people getting residence status? I would love to see the money bribery trail on these pri*ks and allegedly the female who rented the house. Resident Status !!!! Of course I am probably jumping to conclusions because I only know what I read in the newspapers. If Thailand wants to increase their security they would deny visa's to 99% of middle eastern applicants. But, we all know that the 1 % who get visas would likely be terrorists who got them using the time honored process of "greasing the palm".

Here they come !!!!!!!!! Yes the TV Government bashers are at it once again.

Yes start saying how stupid Thailand is by beefing up security etc. etc. etc instead of saying something nice for a change like: "Wow it's good to see Thailand is looking at this seriously by beefing up security at airports, bus stations etc."

• Like 1

Here they come !!!!!!!!! Yes the TV Government bashers are at it once again.

Yes start saying how stupid Thailand is by beefing up security etc. etc. etc instead of saying something nice for a change like: "Wow it's good to see Thailand is looking at this seriously by beefing up security at airports, bus stations etc."

Yes, completely agree with you.

The police also did well making an arrest at the airport, identifying the woman and establishing that she had fled and tracing the guy who got to KL.

This was a potentially major incident bungled by the players but the Thai authorities response and reactions were very creditable.

They should get a few credits rather than the negs that exist here.

Here's a positive move:

“I will order the Immigration Bureau to closely monitor people who enter the country, especially from countries that might have some troubles,” Mr. Chalerm said. He did not define “troubles.”

The tourism ministry announced Wednesday that it would suspend the practice of issuing visas on arrival to Iranian citizens.

Last year Thailand’s immigration office issued 148,235 tourist visas to Iranians.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/16/world/asia/bombs-in-bangkok-linked-to-india-and-georgia-attacks-israeli-envoy-says.html?_r=2&nl=todaysheadlines&emc=tha2

The so called "Searches" at security checkpoints are currently an absolute waste of time. Even if the metal detector beeps no actual search of my bag ever takes place. i open the bag for the guard and I'm waved on... If any bomber need only wrap their bomb in a towel before putting it in their bag the whole checkpoint search exercise is pointless. I'd feel a lot safer if the searches were more rigorous.

Was at Suvarnabhumi Airport yesterday and the only thing of note was that the search dogs seemed to be about more than usual. Passing through security was normal and there didn't seem to be an increase or armed response personnel.

I believe these "security gates" are built quite (wether in Malls or otherwise) technically.

They have different degrees os sensitivity that sounds different alarms. For instance if you are carrying a mobile phone then that will set off a different alarm then would a bomb in your bag.

I do agree that many of the guards who are attending them (in malls etc.) should not doze off and pay more attention but you could look at what company they are representing and make a report.

I've had 10 years experience in Bom detection at Sydney Airport and I just LAUGH at what I see goes on with the underground railway in Bangkok. A torch will not and can not detect an explosive device. You need either an xray machine or an Ion scanner which picks up the minutest pieces of dust and analises them.