A Suitable Gift For My Future Thai Employer?

invogue

I’m flying to Thailand soon to start my new job. I am coming from Australia and want to present my new employers with a spectacularly wonderful gift that will warm their hearts and be appreciated. The job is in the fashion industry and I will be giving to one Thai male; approximately 40 years old and one Russian/Thai female approximately 26 years old. I’m postulating that anything like a jar of Vegemite or a koala figurine will be destitute for the bin. Can anyone suggest anything useful and unique that would make a good gift?

My advice is: Do not give them anything except your hard work and dedication to the job.

Buying your employers any type of gifts during the early days of your employment places them in a precarious situation, embarrassing in fact. You are putting the message across that you are seeking preferential treatment. This is the way your employers will view the situation and it could work against you.

The time to perhaps give a small token of gratitude is after you have worked within the company for a while and they are convinced you are right for the job and you are sure that you have been accepted into the company, or in other words, they like you and you like them.

• Like 1

"I have indeed received my work permit and signed a 90 day employment contract."

Were you here to do that?

Why only a 90 day contract?

No I was not in Thailand. It was organized by my employer.

A 90 day contract is standard for the profession. They sometimes keep you longer if you are stupendous, but rarely.

Is it possible to get a work permit when out of the country?

I may be wrong, but I think you have to be here. I had to collect mine in person.

Sorry I am possibly mistaken when I say ‘I have a work permit’ as I have actually been told my work permit has been organized but no I have not received anything in hand via mail or email. So I guess they have submitted the application and it will be finalized or collected when I arrive; however it works.

I may be wrong, but I think you have to be here. I had to collect mine in person.

Sorry I am possibly mistaken when I say ‘I have a work permit’ as I have actually been told my work permit has been organized but no I have not received anything in hand via mail or email. So I guess they have submitted the application and it will be finalized or collected when I arrive; however it works.

Fair enough

Have you been to the embassy for a visa? Unless I am mistaken, you cannot be granted a work permit without the right visa (Non-B/Non-O)

• Like 1

Like I say, just make sure you have your work permit in your hand before you start dishing out the beads and bits of broken mirror.

Bingo, WP's are not issued until you are in country....I suspect the OP is referring to the B visa and not the WP

@Invogue - I think you should be paying great attention to the posters here. Anything involving a "thai male" and then adding the word Russian into the mix, along with having and then not having a work permit as well as a only a 90 day contract... and you are a model?

Tread with care...

What they are telling you is that you needed to take a lot of documents to the Thai Consulate in Australia to get a Non Imm B visa (3 months) which will then get turned into a work permit when you are here after an application process. If all you have is a tourist visa or similar and a lot of words, then be careful, and for gods sake do not give them your passport to "look after".

Knit them each a sweater with a kangaroo on it, and also their names emblazoned on them.

Be sure to include a hand crafted card with each gift, that includes lines such as "I'm sure we will be best friends" and "we are going to have a super time".

I find this is the only way people will take you seriously in Thailand.

Maybe an alternative question might be "is it appropriate" that I bring a gift etc.

Many practices that fly in Australia don't have wings here.

Many times I suggested things to the Thai gf (manager and 10 years in International manufacturing company just south of Bangkok) who quickly replied that the action or suggestion was either not appropriate, not required or potentially embarrassing with the potential to lose face for the Thai party ... something to be avoided at all costs.

Edit .. spelling

Edited by David48

Sorry to dampen your enthusiasm, but the deal does sound a bit dodgy - have you even been to TH to meet them in person? Call the Thai Embassy (Consular section) or the Thai Consulate in Sydney etc.. to get more details of what you have to do first.

People here are not being negative, rather have seen and/or heard of far too many scams and rip-offs to pick up fool's gold

Sorry to dampen your enthusiasm, but the deal does sound a bit dodgy - have you even been to TH to meet them in person? Call the Thai Embassy (Consular section) or the Thai Consulate in Sydney etc.. to get more details of what you have to do first.

People here are not being negative, rather have seen and/or heard of far too many scams and rip-offs to pick up fool's gold

I've lived in Bangkok for over a year before working in the same industry. I also know most of the other employees working for the company. I know what is legit and what is scam material.

I've lived in Bangkok for over a year before working in the same industry. I also know most of the other employees working for the company. I know what is legit and what is scam material.

If this is so, why are you asking on another thread whether you can live for THB 3000/week in BKK ?.....wouldnt you already know this ?

What they are telling you is that you needed to take a lot of documents to the Thai Consulate in Australia to get a Non Imm B visa (3 months) which will then get turned into a work permit when you are here after an application process.

The visa is not converted to a work permit.

In all my employment, whether in the UK or overseas, it has never even crossed my mind to make a gift to my potential employers. When I reached the high, dizzy office of managing director, I would have been embarrassed by any gift from a potential employee, more so as I would suspect (rightly or wrongly) that the purpose of the gift was to influence me, however subtly, in the event of the employee turning out to be a dud.

Perhaps things are different in the fashion game.

If this is so, why are you asking on another thread whether you can live for THB 3000/week in BKK ?.....wouldnt you already know this ?

Are you thread stalking me?

The last time I lived in Thailand was over 2 years ago so I’m not sure if there has been price inflation. When I was there previously I lived with my boyfriend. We had full time drivers so I never needed to pay for drivers. I never went to a grocery shop as the shopping was done by the maids or we ate at my boyfriend’s restaurant. I even ordered my cosmetics and hair products online from America (as not available in Thailand).

I’m ashamed I was very insular and not very involved in Thai culture. Second time round I will be living more like a local.

I've brought back a little something for colleagues when starting my job. I hadn't met any of them previously...ok except maybe just a hello with one when I went in for the interview.

I don't think anyone got offended that there was a gift.

I can't advice what specifically as I don't know the exact arrangement u guys have. But I can say that if I were to bring something I'd make sure it is for everyone I'm going to be working with. (food stuff works well - can be shared by all, and is not overly expensive to be misconstrued of as a bribe of any sort)

Chocolates, timtams and yes specialty fruit such as cherries work quite well. Or maybe check of they drink coffee bring them something nice from there? Or aussie wine? The penfolds are appreciated by thais that enjoy wine :)

If u know the employers well enough and want to give them something.... How about a scarf for the lady?

The guy .... No idea :D I'm hopeless with gifts for men. But either the coffee or wine can work for a guy gift I suppose

By the way its worth making effort to not let other colleagues feel that there's only something for the boss. Especially an expensive gift. Thats my opinion anyway

Welcome back to Thailand and hope you enjoy the time during your assignment :)

Dear MiG16,

Thank you for the warm ‘Welcome Back to Thailand’ and the sophisticated well thought gift suggestions. After hearing the comments of the others I’m really hesitant to give anything except my hard work! I’m thinking small totem gifts for my fellow employees (like lip gloss), which yes indeed is intended to put me in their liking and act as a small offer of friendship. They are non-Thai and I don’t think it will be seen as bribery!

Don't have to collect it in person (At least I didn't anyway), there's a power of attorney type form which is specifically designed for the dept of immigration, which your boss can get you to sign giving them the ability to deal with the dept of labour on your behalf.

Gift wise, some Australian wine would probably go down well, otherwise a Digigreedoo would probably do well, or a boomarang maybe, a really great idea being that you work in fashion, would be if you could get a hold of a traditional Abo costume or something (I don't know what these are like, might just be a loincloth rag or something, but it potentially could be a really cool present). Although as a suggestion, it might be better to give a gift at the end of the 90 day contract as a gesture of good will and thanks, rather than at the start.

At the start just seems strange, I've never heard / seen an employee give their boss something at the start of employment, sometimes the boss maybe would give them something but definitely more appropriate at the end I think. If you do give a gift at the start, wine would be better than the others I think, as it could be shared and used as a way for you and your boss to "bond" over an after work drink or similar.

Don't have to collect it in person (At least I didn't anyway), there's a power of attorney type form which is specifically designed for the dept of immigration, which your boss can get you to sign giving them the ability to deal with the dept of labour on your behalf.

you have to sign your work permit, how did your "power of attorney" circumvent this ?