Book Swap

Briggsy

When I lived in Bangkok, I used to be a member of Neilson-Hays Library. After I moved to Chonburi, I used to go back to Bangkok and visit the library to get some books. After a while, it became a chore and I did not renew my membership (2,500 Baht per year).

I've got some old books, my own, not Neilson-Hays! If anyone in the Pattaya or Chonburi area wants to swap some novels or knows any bars or guesthouses that do something like this, could you let me know.

On a related note, should I buy a Kindle or something like it. I don't really know what they entail and how to load books on them and how much it costs.

I use Canterbury Tales Cafe and Bookshop in Soi Chaiyapoon - the end by Oasis.

They will give you credit against books you want to leave with them. You pay for books you want to read (not sure how they work out these prices but based on size/condition/original price I guess) and get 50% back as credit when you return them to use on the next book/s.

They have a very extensive collection of novels and some other stuff. Worth having a look and no membership cost.

• Like 1

Canterbury Tales is the best and biggest used book shop in Pattaya especially if you are looking for books by particular authors but no 1 on 1 swap, not even close with books you have that you did not buy from them, if you did you get 50% credit toward and other books you want to swap.

If you want a book for book swap come to the PCEC expat club meeting every Sunday, we have 150 books out every week that you can swap one for one, many popular authors. In fact Dave from Canterbury tales often donates books to the club when he has too many of a particular author. Cost to join PCEC is B400 per year.

• Like 1

Kindle from ebay and copied around 9000 e-books from my friend. Sorted.

IMHO easier to read from Kindle in bed etc as it is very light and slim.

+1 , I Bought a Kindle WIFI/3G in Australia & it works like a dream in Thailand , can even check email & limited Google search free , no more paperbacks for me.

Pattaya Books, 1st floor above Tops at Second road/Pattaya Klang junction branch

it offers easy parking, great selection, he will buy new books from you or give credit on take outs and returns

the English owner is well read and gives good advise/recommendations.

i have tried all the others over 10 years, (not star-books yet)

we visited yesterday, as we do every fortnight or so

we come out with a shopping bag full and spend between 500-1000 baht each time after cashing in the returns from the last visit

in my not so humble opinion this bookshop is the best in town..........

Starbooks will give you a reasonable price on your used books for cash (a bit more if you take credit). We have a good range of books, all indexed and published to our website.... starbookworm.com

There is kindle in the store if you want to come and have a play....

All our kindle stock is Sold out at the moment.... more arriving soon

If you want a one for one swap... The pattaya trader office (Opposite index) has some books that you can just go in and swap

Edited by Starbooks

I didn't think you could copy books on a Kindle. Thought they had a security lock or something.

I didn't think you could copy books on a Kindle. Thought they had a security lock or something.

Kindle is not locked to Amazon bookstore, you can transfer from your computer freely.

Other e-book formats can be converted to Kindle format and pdf files too. You get personal kindle email address when you register and if i remember correctly they convert and send to your device wireless all files you email to your address.

And the prices in amazon are not that bad and the buying is really easy once you have registered.

All in all very convenient and easy to use.