Taxi Drivers Upset Over Problems With Gas Credit Cards

Lite Beer

Why not just raise the taxi fare to reflect the true cost of energy?

Oh no, then we will have inflation, so better to subsidize!

Because the last time the fare was raised, the owners of the taxis raised the rental price to the drivers the same day.

What needs to happen is a freeze and reduction in the number of plates issued, then control over the rental price to the drivers, then you can talk about fare increases if you wish.

Cheers

Edited by airconsult

Why not just raise the taxi fare to reflect the true cost of energy?

Oh no, then we will have inflation, so better to subsidize!

Because the last time the fare was raised, the owners of the taxis raised the rental price to the drivers the same day.

What needs to happen is a freeze and reduction in the number of plates issued, then control over the rental price to the drivers, then you can talk about fare increases if you wish.

Cheers

the same goes for the Taxis in Samui..... they don't earn more than in BKK - it all goes into the pockets of a few well-connected scumbags

30176207-01_big.jpg

Representatives of taxi drivers asked the House committee on economic development yesterday to help solve problems resulting from the use of energy credit cards issued recently by the government.

The taxi drivers are now learning how much their allegiance to the red shirts was worth.

Som nam na

It's what most foreigners learned a long, long time ago with a different card... from the same government.

TE_Shadow_ELITE_CARD_example.jpg

btw, wondering if we'll soon see a group of disgruntled farang, similar to the OP photo, voicing the shortcomings of their above card.

I thought this was the link to "dangerous Haze"? lol Anyway here it is: http://www.agoda.com/asia/thailand/bangkok/honey_house_2.html

Anyway there are WAY TOO MAY taxi's in Bangkok. I see them driving around all night causing traffic congestion, pollution and many other problems (as recently highlighted in Thaivisa). Late at night they account for over 70% of all the traffic on Sukumvit. They drive like crazy around and around looking for a fare. They must use a lot of gas just looking for fares. Its a crazy situation. Just stand on an over bridge in Sukumvit and as far as you can see will be red "vacant" taxi signs racing along the road.

Edited by pogal

.......... (snipped for brevity) ....

You must attract bad service, in more than 5 years of living in Thailand I can count with the fingers of one hand how many times a taxi driver didn't want to use the meter (excluding airport). Only once I noticed at the end of a short drive that the meter was not working, once I notice the meter was running faster than normal.

On the other hand I've had on a couple of occasions been taken the wrong way due to a genuine misunderstanding of the directions and the drivers offered me to not pay the fare at all when getting to my intended destination.

I use a taxi at least twice a day (other forms of transport are really not convenient at all) and for the most part drivers are decent people, perhaps 1 out of 30 or so is dodgy, drives recklessly or unfriendly but that's about it.

+1

+2

I think its depends where you live too. I am around Sukumvit/Silom and because of that I would disagree strongly with your calculation and say 1 in 10 are good. (in that area), otherwise in the suburbs, yes I would agree with you.

Som nam na Taxi Divers!! passifier.gifclap2.gif

After seeing you Dirtbags in action during the Riots and Arson attacks all I can say is I hope your happy now?

You got your Credit cards from your paymasters no one said they would be useful...

I avoid using the Taxis at all costs Unsafe, Unclean, Unethical, Uneducated, dirt bags..

Has this got anything to do with the reduction in Motorcycle Taxis lately or is that just my soi?

Whilst I totally agree with the som nam na, your generalisation of the Taxi drivers as '...,uneducated, dirt bags' is an insult to the thousands of drivers who are doing a rather good job every day. Your political leaning seems to cloud your fair judgment, if you want to see real sleazebag taxi drivers go visit Pukhet or Samui, you'll praise BKK's taxis upon return.wink.png

I would think the only ones who were issued the cards were ones who participated in the riots (As payments) so to the ones who are complaining I say suck eggs.

I have yet to have a plesent experience with a Taxi in Thailand

2 Times I have been threatened, My Wife has been groped and had her handbag stolen, Multiple times we have been overcharged or "No change", I cannot count how many times we have been refused because we will not pay 500 THB "Meter broken" Not one Taxi I have seen is Safe with seatbelt, Decent tires, and proper safe driving....

So when I have a decent experience I may change my mind

Really?!? With the exception of the seat belt issue I have to say you are totally wrong. I have never had any problems with taxis' in Thailand in the 15 years I have been visiting. Yes they like many business people will try to take advantage of unsuspecting foreigners arriving at the airport but in general they behave decently. I don't know how your wife gets groped in the back seat (are you there watching or is that what your wife tells you), and I know that there are some drivers who behave badly, overall though they are not bad. Their driving is on par with any foreigner I have had the displeasure to ride with and exceptional considering what driving is like in BKK.

It's good to know that you have transportation options aside from taking taxis. Both of you are grateful I am sure.

Som nam na Taxi Divers!! passifier.gifclap2.gif

After seeing you Dirtbags in action during the Riots and Arson attacks all I can say is I hope your happy now?

You got your Credit cards from your paymasters no one said they would be useful...

I avoid using the Taxis at all costs Unsafe, Unclean, Unethical, Uneducated, dirt bags..

Has this got anything to do with the reduction in Motorcycle Taxis lately or is that just my soi?

I avoid them as much as possible as well. As I live outside I always let them drive me only to the nearest Skytrain Station

Another 30 000 votes lost 5555555

No why?

Before the next election the PTP will promise the super gas card, which will make the gas and beer chang half as expensive and that Sonkran will be twice a year.

+They didn't do it yet because some elite and invisible hands didn't allow it, but after the election it will be done and in 3 month everyone will be rich.

And they will vote them again.

I do feel sorry for these guys. The way they are being treated is despicable to say the least. Perhaps we should take up a collection in show of our support. Surely there is some foundation somewhere in the world to help protect taxi drivers from this sort of abuse. Does Greenpeace cover fungus like these?

First tablets, now taxis. Well, it's not like a "som-nam-na" wasn't in order. I just wonder if these imbeciles will learn? The government couldn't be more blatantly corrupt, yet they took those 'promises' as if they'd ever be implemented. Hey, there's ALWAYS a catch, isnt there?

not forget in 3 month we are all rich in, the traffic problems are solved in 6 month, Thailand will be the hub of software, IT, blablabla