Phu Kradung's 3.8km Cable-Car Route Settled

webfact

ENVIRONMENT

Phu Kradung's 3.8km cable-car route settled

JANJIRA PONGRAI

THE NATION

30176430-01_big.jpg

LOEI: -- A final route has been selected for a cable-car service to be built in Phu Kradung National Park in Loei province, the Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation (DNP) announced yesterday. The 3.8-kilometre path is said to pose the least threat to the surrounding environment of the proposed routes.

The route begins in the foothills at Ban Sri Than and climbs 1,316 metres to a spot called Lang Pae, on Phu Kradung Mountain's flat top. Areas of the local waterways that would need to be dredged are limited to two sites measuring 3.66 rai and 4.03 rai, out of the mountain's total 37,500-rai (6,000-hectare) area, said DNP deputy director-general Rerngchai Prayoonwej.

The route was chosen because it would require the least amount of dredging and would not involve the felling of any rare trees, Rerngchai said. A mandatory environmental-impact study will be conducted soon and final approval sought from the Cabinet, he said.

A makeshift cable shuttle will be built to facilitate construction, and some construction material will be airlifted by helicopter. He said a revolving type of cable car has been selected with capacity for six passengers. The same model is used in South Africa.

Environmentalists have campaigned against efforts to build a cable-car service, saying it would damage the natural surroundings while undermining Phu Kradung appeal as a trekking spot, not to mention eliminating the jobs of porters who carry trekkers' luggage.

But Rerngchai said the porters would be offered jobs as cable-car operators and tour guides, and pointed out that trekkers could still opt to go up and down the mountain on foot. The cable-car service would make maintenance and garbage disposal easier, too, he added.

Sasin Chalermlarp, who heads the Seub Nakasathien Foundation, said the DNP's decision must have been made "in a hurry", as the topic was not concluded at a joint meeting he had with DNP officials last month.

"There will be other environmental studies, which have yet to be discussed or finalised; had a written statement over the final route been sent to us, we could have had some input in this decision," he said.

Certain steps would need to be taken in preparation for the new service, Rerngchai said. These include determining the number of tourists allowed in to the site, and designating locations for camping, along with preparations to accommodate visitors of various ages and the provision of emergency and other medical services.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-02-22

This is so sad, more industrializing of a beautiful tourist spot, which has remained beautiful because it is hard to reach, so most farang cannot or are not willing to go there. I had actually considered going back this year, so that I could use the climb for my fitness, on a 30 day crash course fitness program.

This kind of industrialization may improve tourist numbers to Phu Kradueng, but it will destroy the legacy of what is truly old-style Thailand in this part of Isaan. You can bet most of the profits will not be put back into keeping things clean, or improving the lives of those making the park a truly special place.

This is so sad, more industrializing of a beautiful tourist spot, which has remained beautiful because it is hard to reach, so most farang cannot or are not willing to go there.

Are you saying it is an unspoilt place because only Thais go there?

That's nonsense, I've trekked and traveled around Thailand a fair bit, and by FAR the worst offenders in spoiling natural places are Thais themselves. I've trekked for two days to go to some mountain top, only Thais in sight and at the top it was strewn with plastic wrappings.

Drives me up the wall, one would think that people take the great effort to go there because they love nature, but what do they do when they get there? dump their plastic bottles and toss to the wind their candy wrappers.

Heck, not even limited to Thailand. I was in Northern India a few months ago, up in the Himalayas, we stopped the car smack bang in the middle of nowhere to see some Himalayan Marmots on the side of the road and what do I find there?, a f####ng Thai Mama noodle wrapping!

Another, of the top of my head, Koh Tao, the Thai staff at the dive shop taking a break smoking on the beach, finish the cigarette, thump! in the sand it goes.

Same things over and over again. Thais don't need farangs to spoil their country, they do a fantastic job themselves.

There are a few safety issues in terms of the climb there but they don't need a cable car. A few additional and sturdier ladders, some reinforcement or roping of the most narrow footholds, and some common sense in terms of rainy season would solve most of the problem. But that wouldn't provide the construction kickbacks or trade away the environment for the tourist money. There are also some quite wild elephants living up at the top and having too many people around is bound to lead to problems.

There are a few safety issues in terms of the climb there but they don't need a cable car. A few additional and sturdier ladders, some reinforcement or roping of the most narrow footholds, and some common sense in terms of rainy season would solve most of the problem. But that wouldn't provide the construction kickbacks or trade away the environment for the tourist money. There are also some quite wild elephants living up at the top and having too many people around is bound to lead to problems.

still, look on the bright side, they get to use that shity steel that was confiscated for free. give it a few years and we will have a leaning cable car. two for the price of one..(leaning tower and cable car) sweeeeeet.

• Like 1