Ubon Ratchatani/Cambodia Border Crossing?

meithai

• 3 months later...

Depends on why you want to go, you can cross at Nam Yuen for the market and you don't need a visa, if all you are interested in is having been in Cambodia. Jim

Do you have anymore details on this James? What days are the market on, directions from Nam Yeun, is the market any good? etc etc!

Depends on why you want to go, you can cross at Nam Yuen for the market and you don't need a visa, if all you are interested in is having been in Cambodia. Jim

Do you have anymore details on this James? What days are the market on, directions from Nam Yeun, is the market any good? etc etc!

Tuesdays and Thursdays, as to what you can get, jungle food and crap. Never made other inquiries as to contraband [ guns ] etc. Easy to find ask anyone and think there are signs now. Jim
  • Like 1

Sorry, I should have said before; to stamp in & out ,in again , a border run.

As James said, Chong Mek is nearer for a border run.

However, take the opportunity to go onto to Pakse for a day or 2.

Similarly, the Cong sa Ngam border is less than 2 hours away from Siem Reap (and Angkor Wat).

Tuesdays and Thursdays, as to what you can get, jungle food and crap. Never made other inquiries as to contraband [ guns ] etc. Easy to find ask anyone and think there are signs now. Jim

The market is called Chong Ahn Ma (spelling). From Nam Yun going towards me/Kantharalak/Khao Phra Viharn on rd 2248, turn left a few hundred meters after passing Nam Yun hospital, and it's about 10 km up in the Dong Rak mountain range. biggrin.png

The market is called Chong Ahn Ma (spelling). From Nam Yun going towards me/Kantharalak/Khao Phra Viharn on rd 2248, turn left a few hundred meters after passing Nam Yun hospital, and it's about 10 km up in the Dong Rak mountain range. biggrin.png

Still awake.

Crossing into Cambodia is a bit cheaper than Laos - the Cambodian visa is $20 or 1,000 baht (take dollars if you have them) and the Laos visa $35 (can't remember how many baht they want). But it's a 80k ish further from Ubon than is Chong Mek (Laos)

If you do want to use the Cambodian borders because you are on your way to Bangkok or you want to visit Cambodia then always use Choam Sa Ngam in SiSaket rather than Chong Jom in Surin or Poipet. The Laos immigration guides have never demanded extra money at Choam Sa Ngam in my many crossing there.

You really should see Siem Reap (but better to avoid January and July/August). Details for using the Choam Sa Ngam crossing to get there are in this thread:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/330255-siam-reap/page__hl__+choam%20+cambodia%20

Still can't believe how close we are and haven't made the trip yet. Originally wanted to just drive there but have decided an accident and all the hassle it would bring is worth just getting a taxi. Are there safe places to leave a vehicle at Chong Sa Ngam if we took an overnight 2 day trip? If we did a one day trip, does the border close at a certain time?

Still can't believe how close we are and haven't made the trip yet. Originally wanted to just drive there but have decided an accident and all the hassle it would bring is worth just getting a taxi. Are there safe places to leave a vehicle at Chong Sa Ngam if we took an overnight 2 day trip? If we did a one day trip, does the border close at a certain time?

Not an overnight place, better to get a room at Bergens resort and have a day trip.Sure if you ply Trond with alcohol he may even accompany you over. Know I would. Jim

Not sure Santisuk means anything in English. A very popular Thai village name. Most provinces have one or more. Happens to be my wife's family village.

We really need to wind Grimley Bob's Thai family up into providing a Choam Sa Nam parking/taxi service. They (and he when he visits) lives only 20k from the border.

I can probably be persuaded to go on a two day run with you guys - but not until October*. I will definitely be going in mid January when my sister and niece arrive. You would park at our place and my family would run us the hour to the border and collect again.

If you are an adventurer and have some Thai or extreme confidence, then the route from Ubon is:

Bus or train to Sisaket.

Sarm law (rickshaw) to Sisaket bus station if arriving by train

Bus to Khu Khan - probably every couple of hours

Motorcycle taxi or hired songthaew from Khu Khan to the border (you might get a bit nearer the border if you can get the regular songthaew from Khu Khan to Phusing and then a (probably motorbike) taxi.

Coming back you just need to blag a hired ride from the border (the hangers on there will help) to either Khu Khan, Kun Han or Kantharalak, then bus to SiSaket or (in the case of Kantharalak), Ubon directly.

*The other thing I forgot to mention is that the road situation in northern Cambodia might get a bit dodgy in the back half of the rainy season and you could be unlucky to have a very rainy tour of the temples in July to mid October. The road is a good one but I suspect it floods in places at the height of the rains.

The border close around 6:30pm ish I believe, so you really do need to be at the border at 8:30am latest if you are doing a one-day trip.