Is It Cheaper To Buy A Ring In Thailand Or Here At Home?

louielou

I have noticed that some things are actually cheaper to buy in my own country than in Thailand. Electronics are a good example (everything is 2x more expensive in Thailand than at Best Buy here in the states). So...I am just wondering if it is better to buy a simple gold ring with a cheap diamond on it here in the states, or should I buy it in Thailand? And please hold the sarcasm, it's a simple question really-- Costco.com or some gold shop in Yanawa? Thanks for your input! Lewie.

Slightly cheaper at home. Beware, when giving a Thai foreign gold you might not receive the same gratitude as you may expect...

It can never be traded or sold in a Thai gold shop inside Thailand.

I've found gold jewellery cheaper in Thailand. You get 23k gold jewellery for the price of what i would get 9k or 18k gold in Australia.

Agree with you there about the 23K vs 9K price, however where OP says "basic gold" i get the impression the OP is just looking for a cheap gold ring. If your looking for the cheapest possible although genuine, gold ring with a diamond. US in cheaper

Gold is gold & set by the world spot price

You may think you are paying more in Thailand for a similar weight gold ring but the content

is .965 / 23k gold not .585/14K like most in the States So the ring your buying in Thailand likely

has more gold in it. 96% vs 58%

Diamonds hard to say as I have seen nice ones in Thailand too. It just depends on size/clarity etc

If your not looking for a big diamond & it sounds like your not smile.png

Just buy in Thailand as the gold is much prettier to most than the faded 14k look of the US gold jewelry

If your just looking for Cheap.....well yes the one with half as much actual gold will be cheaper

Edited by flying
  • Like 2

You may think you are paying more in Thailand for a similar weight gold ring but the content

is .965 / 23k gold

Correct. But as op is talking about a ring, you must buy a more expensive (heavier) one, if you want it to keep its shape.

is .965 / 23k gold

Correct. But as op is talking about a ring, you must buy a more expensive (heavier) one, if you want it to keep its shape.

Not really....My wife has a very nice Thai gold with diamond ring & it is not at all thick or soft due to dainty size of her finger.

.965 is soft enough in some shapes like a hook to bend & you see jewelers do that instead of a clasp on Thai rope bracelets & necklaces

But in the shape of a ring it is quite strong even in thin sizes. I guess it is the shape that counts

the Thai bought gold diamond rings I have seen (and purchased) are all 18k as you need that to keep the diamond setting strong.

That is a good point & yes 18k/75% would be better for diamond mounts that have only 4 prongs holding the diamond

My wife's ring has 6 prongs

diamonds are my girlfriends best friend...bought a diamond ring in bkk debeers shop for a mil.valued it in holland...and value i got was over a mil..in 2005ish me old mom still wearing it pride,and for the gf number 18 keeps wanting a new ring darlin...5000 ok for me and her i say 555

Slightly cheaper at home. Beware, when giving a Thai foreign gold you might not receive the same gratitude as you may expect...

It can never be traded or sold in a Thai gold shop inside Thailand.

I'll agree and disagree here.

When I was a total newbie here in Thailand I bought a ring in the U.K. for a Thai woman I'd been with for a long time. That gold ring was not acceptable. It was not Thai gold and of course, Thai gold is much much better than other gold.

Yet when I took the ring to a gold shop he weighed it and made me a reasonable offer. So I sold it. much to the chagrin of the family. Yet they cannot have it all ways.

OP buy one here, keep the receipt too, you may need it.

the Thai bought gold diamond rings I have seen (and purchased) are all 18k as you need that to keep the diamond setting strong.

it all depends on how the stone is set. there are settings which allow 999 fine gold, others require 20-22 karat.

UK is cheaper and one other thing to remember, the gold here is more "GOLD" the carat rating is up, now my understanding is that although this sounds good, gold is soft and wears away quicker than the 9 and 18 carat products, so with your reduced amount of gold it might not be holding its value so much, just a thought from what ladies have told me.

I bought mine in the UK.

Edited by nong38