Apple Launches New iPad

webfact

Apple launches new iPad

SAN FRANCISCO: -- Apple on Wednesday unveiled the third version of its genre-defining iPad tablet computer which will be available to consumers in the United States, Germany, France, Britain and Canada starting at 499 dollars from March 16.

"We’ve taken it to a whole new level and we are redefining the category that Apple created with the original iPad," said Apple chief Tim Cook at a press conference in San Francisco.

"It makes amazing improvements over the most fundamental features of the design of the device while retaining everything that millions of people have grown to love about it," he continued.

The new device, called simply the iPad, features a more powerful, quad-core chip, the A5X processor, a high-definition 2084x1536 Retina display which is "about 1 million more pixels than HDTV," according to Apple, as well as a sharper 5 megapixel camera that includes special face detection technology.

Capable of accessing 4G mobile networks and creating its own mobile hotspot, the new iPad boasts download speeds that are five times faster than the current version, Cook said.

It also boasts a full complement of games, productivity and media software to take advantage of the new specs.

The unveiling of the new device had been widely expected, two years after Apple first launched the iPad, and a year after it introduced its successor the iPad 2.

Apple launches the new device from a dominant position in the tablet computer market. But Microsoft is readying its first tablet entry for later this year with the launch of the all-new Windows 8 operating system.

Apple has now sold some 55 million iPads, including 15.4 million in the last quarter, and is predicted to sell some 60 million iPads this year.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-03-08

iPad 2 dropped to 13,500 baht

http://store.apple.c...pad/family/ipad

This is crazy, the iPad 2 is still the best tablet out there, and now also the cheapest by a large margin...

I don't see them committing to a ship date in Thailand, sadly... all I can find is "many more countries on March 23rd". The good news is it's shipping in Singapore March 16th! That means Thailand is probably amongst those March 23rd countries.

Loving the new warranty - my iPad makes for the perfect reader in certain places ... like the bathroom, recently it fell screen-first to the ground, gorilla glass vs tiled floor only knew one winner, display in a thousand pieces. If I'd had accidental coverage it would have been $50 to replace... a 3rd party fix in the mall cost me 5k baht...

Guess who'd going to order one of these ... :)

Edited by nikster

The only Ipad 2 model still available according to the Apple online store will be the 16GB model. The other larger models will only be available on the newer Ipad, just like they did with the Iphone 4 when the 4S came out.

Just ordered the ipad3 from us store to shipito.com will deliver 16th then 3 days to get here by dhl so should get it around 19th.

Question is do I keep it or sell it to high-so Thai's for double what I bought it for...... :)

does this one have an international warranty?

Only in countries that it is officially released in. HK/Japan/Singapore - but yes it will have when released in Thailand.

Just ordered an additional 16GB White. Can't resist the profit with the crazy Thai's here who want to be first :)

Edited by negreanu

WAnd no price increase.

Apple are renowned for upgrading the specs, in every new model, but not the price (unless there has been a major hardware change, such as the iMac going from 20" to 21.5"). In most cases, they actually drop the prices.

Just ordered the ipad3 from us store to shipito.com will deliver 16th then 3 days to get here by dhl so should get it around 19th.

Question is do I keep it or sell it to high-so Thai's for double what I bought it for...... smile.png

another question is how much tax will you get hit for by thai customs?

when i have received DHL packages here of clothes from the states it cost me almost 100% additional tax .....

Is the iPad2 likely to drop any lower?

I want to buy an Ipad2 for my mother who is 89. Wife and I have an iPad2 each, best thing since sliced bread.

I have been thinking about it for a while and now with the price reduction, would be good to buy now.

She lives alone in the UK and is connected to the internet which is only used when I visit.

Can talk to her anytime with Facetime or Skype. Just sit the iPad on the table when having dinner and talk, can also see her.. Will be much easier than using the telephone.

when i have received DHL packages here of clothes from the states it cost me almost 100% additional tax .....

Computer equipment will attract 7% vat on declared customs value+shipping charge.

Clothing should be 40% Tax + 7% Vat - plus DHL clearance charge. Remember the charges are based on the contents value + shipping charge.

I would suggest you use shipito.com to forward items to thailand as shipping discount from dhl and fedex is really good and they now have TNT which is so cheap. Another advantage is u declare the contents and value smile.png

Edited by negreanu

Computer equipment will attract 7% vat on declared customs value+shipping charge.

Clothing should be 40% Tax + 7% Vat - plus DHL clearance charge. Remember the charges are based on the contents value + shipping charge.

I would suggest you use shipito.com to forward items to thailand as shipping discount from dhl and fedex is really good and they now have TNT which is so cheap. Another advantage is u declare the contents and value smile.png

good deal! Thanks for update and the pointer on the shipto.com service.

good deal! Thanks for update and the pointer on the shipto.com service.

Seconded - thx for the info... very tempted with shipito now... ;)

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9225077/Apple_runs_out_of_new_iPads_for_Friday_delivery

Apple runs out of new iPads for Friday delivery

Resellers take advantage of supply shortages, try to sell new tablet on eBay at more than 3X list price

By Gregg Keizer

March 10, 2012 07:33 PM ET83 Comments

Computerworld - Apple has sold out of initial supplies of the new iPad in every country where it will launch the tablet on Friday, and is now telling buyers that orders will not ship for up to three weeks.

In the U.S. and Canada, all iPad pre-orders placed through Apple's online store will now ship on March 19, three days after the on-sale date. Customers who placed an order very early in the pre-sale process were told they will receive the tablet on Friday, March 16.

I would advise not low-balling the value of items you are importing on your shipping documents.

Agreed it is a risk of course. However the savings over the corrupt Customs officials at BKK are immense smile.png

2-3 Weeks shipping on US Apple store now.

Think I will sell both of mine when they arrive....and re-buy in HKG when in stock.

Edited by negreanu

Calling customs officers corrupt while (apparently) breaking laws and cheating the people of Thailand out of tax revenue, that’s classy.

coffee1.gif

Did I actually say I did? No.

please reread my post.

Secondly welcome to Thailand - Don't tell me you think the Police here are legit as well....

Just my $0.02, your mileage may vary.

indeed.

Edited by negreanu

Calling customs officers corrupt while (apparently) breaking laws and cheating the people of Thailand out of tax revenue, that’s classy.

Apparently he did not actually break the law... Just contemplated the potential savings...

Edited by sfokevin

coffee1.gif

please reread my post.

Secondly welcome to Thailand - Don't tell me you think the Police here are legit as well....

indeed.

Naahhhh... he's just trolling.

Show me one Thai person who thinks that customs officials collect money for the Thai people. Bet you won't find one.

coffee1.gif

please reread my post.

indeed.

agreed.... without sounding melodramatic, it's eat or be eaten in LOS, so take advantage of any opportunity, cos if you don't someone else will be laughing at your foolishness as they take it ....

coffee1.gif

please reread my post.

indeed.

Did I actaully say you did? No. Did I mention you at all? No.

Please reread MY post.

I’m not trolling. I’ve been shipping and receiving here for some time and I believe the VAT and duty collected by customs goes the government. That said, I am certain all the money paid directly to the officers by people trying to get out of the PITA sh*t-storm they start when they get caught intentionally falsifying import documents is split among the corrupt officers involved.

It is my understanding that import duties and VAT are a significant means of revenue for the Thai government, and (IMO) the idea that the “corrupt officers” get to keep the money is just silly, and I am certain there is no shortage of Thais that would agree with me.

I know there are plenty of corrupt police and customs officers, I never said there wasn’t. I also know I’m part of the problem, I get caught speeding I bribe the officer rather than going to the station. But to be clear, they’re not cheating me, by letting my give them a few bucks to be on my way, they’re actually saving me money. They never stop me for speeding when I’m not speeding just to shake me down. Actually, I’m the a-hole helping them cheat the Thai people out of their revenue.

Why do so many people (apparently) seem to think they are being cheated when the government expects them to pay the taxes they owe? It’s been my direct experience that people believing everyone is out to cheat them are generally cheaters themselves.