Working As A Teacher - B Visa Or O Visa?

Hello everyone,

I have a British passport and I have been living in Thailand for 2 years.

The first year I came out with a Non Imm O visa as I did a bt of travelling, visited a few friends all over the country etc...

The second year - haveing secured a job as an English teacher in Isaan - I entered Thailand with a B visa.

Currently I am in between jobs - basically I am looking for a school for the academical year starting May 2012 - but I am confused as to what visa I should get as the rules (stated on the Thai consulate's website) seem to have changed in the last year. My current B visa expires at the end of this month.

With regard to the B visa, even if I managed to secure a job before I get back to the UK, one of the attachments on the website states the following: "If the applicant is to be employed as a teacher they must also provide a copy of their Teaching Qualifications and a valid UK CRB Check. Please note that only a single entry visa will be granted in these circumstances." Hhhhmmm.... not every English teacher working in Thailand has Teaching Qualifications, and that includes me. Last year I got my B visa providing a sponsor letter issued by my school and that was it.

With regard to the Non-Imm O visa, a friend of mine worked on it as a teacher last year (obviously with the necessary work permit). However - still according to the Thai consulate in Hull - this visa will be issued in these circumstances only: 1) Married to a Thai national; 2) Visiting Thai child living in Thailand; 3) Visiting non Thai family working/living in Thailand; 4) Volunteer Work; 5) Visiting Thailand as Pensioner; or 6) Visiting Thailand as Retired Person aged 50 years and over. Sadly none of these options apply to me.

What are my options if I want to continue living and teaching in Thailand??

Thanks in advance :)

Get a (double entry) tourist visa and come back in on that. When you fin a job you apply for a work permit and apply for a non-B in a neighbouring country.

Without an employer, you will not get a non-B and you do not qualify for a non-O.

The "teaching qualification" just means a TEFL / TESOL etc, so can be obtained by doing the most basic of online courses; a 20 hour tefl for example. There is no stipulation (yet) on how long you train for your "teaching qualification".

The main problem we've noticed with people moving jobs, or even coming in on a tourist visa, is getting a new non b in a neighbouring country (see my post on "new laws").

Like everything else here, it all depends on the school and who they know.

I was told I had zero chance of getting a new non b at the usual place (Penang), even though I've been here over 4 years and have passed some of the teacher license exams.

I have heard mixed stories about the embassy in Hull. When I first did my visa they were apparently giving away any type of visa people wanted, I now hear they are more strict than any of the other embassies.

From my understanding (in NST at least), there are a few other conditions that apply to the non O when you get to Thailand that are not checked when you first apply. Namely proof of B40,000 per month salary, or B400,000 in the bank. So, even if you managed to get the non O in UK, unless you can show plenty of cash they will take it off you.

In UK, I'd qualify for the O, but fear they'd cancel it at my first extention on the basis I'd fail the above criteria.

Do what Mario says. I am in the same situation. Went and got a double tourist visa in Vientiane last week and hope to get a new contract with a new school soon. A double entry 2 times 60 days can be extended for a total of 180 days.

"...and hope to get a new contract with a new school soon."

Isn't that quite a few jobs in a pretty short time? Seems like every other post you make you're either starting or looking for a new job. Just curious.

Agree that OP should pay attention to what Mario says/said. No so much to the post after his.