Student Visa For Thailand

In the time that I was active in this line of work, we submitted:

- school registration submitted by the MoE

- letter from MoE stating that you will be a student

- ID copy of principal (as mentioned in school reg)

- a letter from the school, stating that you will study with them and asking for a one year visa

You have to add:

- a copy of your passport (every used page)

- visa application form

- 2 pass photo's

(- a copy of a recent bank-statement with at least Euro 1,250/GBP 1,000/USD 1600 on it)

Usually, an Embassy or Consulate will submit a 3 month - single entry ED-visa which can be extended at the nearest immigration office EVERY 90 days.

In case a one year visa is submitted, you only have to report every 90 days.

In some cases, the school who you are dealing with manages to extend a permission of stay based on a 3 month ED-visa up to one year.

Please beware: In some places, ED-visa are extremely popular and the local immigration-offices/officers developed the habit to actually interview you and evaluate your progress. For your own good........only apply for an ED-visa if you are actually going to study in Thailand; whether that is yoga, any language or cooking is up-2-you; attend the classes and stick to the rules.

• Like 1

- a letter from the school, stating that you will study with them and asking for a one year visa

You have to add:

- visa application form

- 2 pass photo's

(- a copy of a recent bank-statement with at least Euro 1,250/GBP 1,000/USD 1600 on it)

Usually, an Embassy or Consulate will submit a 3 month - single entry ED-visa which can be extended at the nearest immigration office EVERY 90 days.

In some cases, the school who you are dealing with manages to extend a permission of stay based on a 3 month ED-visa up to one year.

Please beware: In some places, ED-visa are extremely popular and the local immigration-offices/officers developed the habit to actually interview you and evaluate your progress. For your own good........only apply for an ED-visa if you are actually going to study in Thailand; whether that is yoga, any language or cooking is up-2-you; attend the classes and stick to the rules.

Thanks! That's exactly what I needed to know. I'll try to find some language schools I'm going to be close to and ask them for enrolment and visa help.

You have to add:

- visa application form

- 2 pass photo's

(- a copy of a recent bankwn-statement with at least Euro 1,250/GBP 1,000/USD 1600 on it)

Wow. ..where did you obtain visa from? Each consulate is different but that is one whopper docs requirement.

Or you can obtain one year, multiple entry ed visa from home country or known friendly consulate and avoid the bs hassles of extending. The only paperwork i ever needed was letter of invite from school.

If it was just 1-one year extension, ok. But 90 day extensions? especially your first visit to thailand, get a one year multiple entry ed visa prior to (re)entering thailand. you will have to border run every 90 days and no questions asked.

"2nd best time to plant a tree is today." Sent from TV android app.

4evermaat, you are right about different consulates and embassies asking for different docs and requirements. We've been dealing with Hull, Amsterdam, Helsinki, Antwerp, Zürich, Brussels, Vientiane, Penang and Kuala Lumpur.

Especially the latter 3 are asking for the full range of paperwork. Zürich didn't even submit an ED-visa. Helsinki and Hull submitted a one-year visa and the rest only 3 months.

See my info as worst case scenario.

4evermaat, you are right about different consulates and embassies asking for different docs and requirements. We've been dealing with Hull, Amsterdam, Helsinki, Antwerp, Zürich, Brussels, Vientiane, Penang and Kuala Lumpur.

Especially the latter 3 are asking for the full range of paperwork. Zürich didn't even submit an ED-visa. Helsinki and Hull submitted a one-year visa and the rest only 3 months.

See my info as worst case scenario.

Kuala Lumpur is ok with nearly unlimited Tourist visas as per a friend report recently. I still say the cheapest and best method for multiple non-imm visa is to leave thailand, and then apply at your home consulate or a known flexible consulate either directly if possible, or using a friend/agent within the country to forward the passport. It would take about a 6-10 days round-turn with express postage on all legs.

I could only imagine that people who can somehow easily aquire the correct paperwork would purposely choose the difficult consulates. Why set yourself up to fail?

• 2 weeks later...

You have to add:

- visa application form

- 2 pass photo's

We are going to Penang next week in order to obtain ED visa. We have all the required paperwork from the school. However, this is the first time I read you need copies of bank statements for ED visa?? Can anyone clarify this? Is this a normal procedure? It would not be a problem to show something from a bank, but if this is true, it is better to be prepared for that. And if so, should it be a Thai bank or just European?

Edited by thuisinthailand

Any visa (other than transit) requires show of 20,000 baht to cover the allowed stay if asked - but normally it is not asked for most passports.

Evidence of adequate finance ( 20,000 Baht per person and 40,000 Baht per family )

It has nothing to do with immigration extension of stay financial requirements. Just a show that you can support your allowed stay and cash/travelers checks/account book/atm receipts or such are normally allowed - but as said it is often not even asked.

"...then apply at your home consulate or a known flexible consulate either directly if possible, or using a friend/agent within the country to forward the passport."

Forward the passport to where?

Legally, that would work if the person is not in Thailand at the time.

Edited by TerryLH
  • Like 1

You have to add:

- visa application form

- 2 pass photo's

We are going to Penang next week in order to obtain ED visa. We have all the required paperwork from the school. However, this is the first time I read you need copies of bank statements for ED visa?? Can anyone clarify this? Is this a normal procedure? It would not be a problem to show something from a bank, but if this is true, it is better to be prepared for that. And if so, should it be a Thai bank or just European?

We send students to the Consulate in Penang on a faily regular basis. They defiantely do not require financial info.

You have to add:

- visa application form

- 2 pass photo's

We send students to the Consulate in Penang on a faily regular basis. They defiantely do not require financial info.

So Thai Consular Service at Penang is more than happy to issue ED without any interview ?

• Like 1

You have to add:

- visa application form

- 2 pass photo's

So Thai Consular Service at Penang is more than happy to issue ED without any interview ?

Yes... In fact I have never had a student report to me that a Consulate have interviewed for a Ed Visa. Just make sure that all the documents are correct.

Can single entry ED visa be changed to multiple entry once the student HAS received ?

How much is ED visa extension every 90 days ?

How much is the 90-day reporting address ?

Thanks

No

Baht 1,900

Free

Can single entry ED visa be changed to multiple entry once the student HAS received ?

How much is ED visa extension every 90 days ?

How much is the 90-day reporting address ?

Thanks

No

Baht 1,900

Free

Should add that most Consulates will not issue a Multiple Entry Visa...

If you want to go out during the 90 day extension, just simply get a ReEntry Permit (Baht 1,000).

"...then apply at your home consulate or a known flexible consulate either directly if possible, or using a friend/agent within the country to forward the passport."

Forward the passport to where?

Legally, that would work if the person is not in Thailand at the time.

that is correct. you hop outside thailand, usually a border country and express mail forward visa application to your contact, who then forwards it to embassy/consulate, and then back to contact, then back to you.

usually when you use someone who has a fedex account, you can save a good amount on shipping. usaa members are entitled to fedex account free 40% discount on domestic/int'l express shipping.

there is a round-trip turnaround time of 6-10 days, so a guesthouse will be needed. not sure if they let you sleep on the beach in malaysia or other border countries.

Edited by 4evermaat