San Kamphaeng Hot Springs

james24

Can anyone tell me some details on the hot springs in San Kamphaeng?

Just wanted to know about the whole setup really, what I need to bring, how much is it and for how long etc. Also are the baths private for two people?

The park entry price is 20 baht, if you want to swim in the hot spring feed swimming pool it is an extra 50 baht, there are also as stated above men's and women's community bathing rooms. You asked if there were facilities for two people to bath in a hot springs feed tub. Yes they have little cabins with a bedroom and a hot tub in them that you can rent by the hour. These are located just behind the foot massage area which is near the hot springs swimming pool.

You can also go down to the hot spring pond where the water is hotter and buy some eggs to boil.

Enjoy

the cave is a must see.

The whole experience is 'very thai'. are you going with farangs or thais? the thai's should know what to bring. eggs, food, beer, something to sit on. it's a very relaxing experience. on the other hand, it's not very exciting either..

yes before you get to the hot springs there are some caves on the left hand side can't remember the name .

Mae On Cave. Really nice.

It's Muang On Cave, on the way to the hotsprings. It's cheap, and as other posters had stated, a very interesting place to visit. See link here -

http://www.visitchiangmai.com.au/muang_on_cave.html

The cave is only partly lit, and you can 'rent' a torch light at the entrance for B20. If you have a camera, you'll need a flash. Certain parts are very steep, especially from the entrance down to the cave proper. Be prepared for the damp, but not much puddles on the ground.

If you feel up to it, you can climb up a long flight of stairs from the cave entrance, to the top of the hill. I've not done that climb as I did not have time and the energy left to do it. LOL

Further up north is the Chiang Doi Cave, as mentioned in the website. It is smaller and you have to literally squeeze through in some areas. You have to hire a local guide for B100, and another B100 for rental of a pressurized lamp. There is no lighting inside this cave, so an extra torch light and camera flash is necessary.

You'll enjoy these caves, if you are NOT claustophobic.

• Like 1

The bathing facilities are old and dirty unfortunately. I have been twice and never enjoyed it. I believe there are some private resorts though perhaps some other members could advise about these.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

The very large "public" hot springs while not as bad as you maintain are not pristine either. You get what you pay for. 20 baht entry plus about 80 baht or more depending on the room you get. I go for the large "tub" which is 300 baht per hour and suits up to 4 people.

Now if you want a "private" room for 2 people with a small tub, a double bed and a TV/DVD player for 2 hours that's not expensive either. I recommend you use the double bed first as that's the only reason those rooms are set up as such.

If it's cleanliness you want the first "private" establishment you come to on the left about 2km from the Mae On turn off is very nice but expensive. 300 baht per person - small private rooms here.

Thanks guys

Setting off in a min, just to make sure its a straight line from Nawarat..?

Pretty much. You'll pass the Borsang turn off, keep going and you will see signs for Mae On and the hot springs - quite a few of them. You'll see a sign for the hot springs and it's a left just past the Thai market, then a few km until you get to a fork in the road with one hot spring to the left and one to the right. Go to the right. Have fun. Should be more fun during the week and less crowded.

That is the ultra slow way as you have to go through lot's of traffic. Best to go on the 117 I think it is. Turn right just over the Nawarat bridge - old Chiang Mai-Lamphun Rd and then left at the overpass. It's a straight road all the way and little traffic. Then left at the market as mentioned above

Going again tomorrow

Wen up there yesterday and although the scenery was nice the actual bath spot was a bit of a dissapointment. It just seemed a bit grotty, not really well maintained. In the end didnt actually have a bath as the water around the place was really dirty

Perhaps because I was taking someone I wanted it to be a bit nicer but also I went to one in Japan and so expectations might have been naively high.

Thanks for the tips guys, gonna try another up here soon

Wen up there yesterday and although the scenery was nice the actual bath spot was a bit of a dissapointment. It just seemed a bit grotty, not really well maintained. In the end didnt actually have a bath as the water around the place was really dirty

Perhaps because I was taking someone I wanted it to be a bit nicer but also I went to one in Japan and so expectations might have been naively high.

TITcool.png But to be honest I've been to mineral baths in both Mexico and in Europe and they are kinda funky as well (and the smell of sulphur...sick.gif ) well, not for everybody.

But seriously, there are some resorts in the same area with hot springs. Maybe check out some others. There could be some upscale resorts that offer more of what you're looking for. SK Hot Springs is definitely a Thai experience. It's also a little dry this time of year up there and the grounds aren't as lush and beautiful as in the wet season.

You are right. Mineral baths in Japan are something all together different.

TITcool.png But to be honest I've been to mineral baths in both Mexico and in Europe and they are kinda funky as well (and the smell of sulphur...sick.gif ) well, not for everybody.

But seriously, there are some resorts in the same area with hot springs. Maybe check out some others. There could be some upscale resorts that offer more of what you're looking for. SK Hot Springs is definitely a Thai experience. It's also a little dry this time of year up there and the grounds aren't as lush and beautiful as in the wet season.

You are right. Mineral baths in Japan are something all together different.

If anyone reviewed or recommended which resorts and what the facilities were like it would be good.

A clean, private, setup would be of interest. a mildly grotty, cheap public setup not much for me.