Every One Of Us Is Responsible For Corruption: Thai Opinion

webfact

EDITORIAL

Every one of us is responsible for corruption

The Nation

It's up to every citizen to take a stand against graft, otherwise our society will never improve for the better

BANGKOK: -- Our support goes to the first group of 130 volunteers who have joined an anti-corruption campaign set up by the private sector, which is fed up with the chronic problem of graft in Thailand. The first task for the "Watchdog" volunteer project is to examine the allocation and use of a budget of more than Bt400 billion that the government has approved to rehabilitate economic sectors affected by the disastrous flood crisis last year.

Naturally, these volunteers will certainly face obstacles and they are unlikely to end the problem of corruption overnight. But the responsibility being shown by these people demonstrates that everyone can contribute to the effort to change our society for the better.

The aim of the project is to protect the public interest. Pramon Suthiwong, chairman of the private sector's anti-corruption network, said that surveys have shown that "tea money" usually accounts for as much as 30 per cent of a government project's value. This is a waste of the public's tax money.

In a situation where annual government spending reaches Bt3 trillion, damage could run to the tune of Bt200 billion if tea money accounts for 25-30 per cent of total contract value. It's not hard to imagine how much the bad guys have embezzled from hard-earned taxpayers' money for their own benefit.

Corruption has been prevalent in Thailand for decades. It is now contributing to the political division in our society because it widens the income gap between the haves and have-nots. People with good business connections tend to win contracts at the expense of qualified people who deserve to be given opportunities. People with political connections get better opportunities at the expense of others. This "not what you know but who you know" attitude wrecks the competitiveness of the country because people are not selected based on merit, but on connections and wrong practices.

Although the downsides of corruption are well known and we hear about them on a daily basis, graft is deeply rooted at all levels of Thai society, and it happens at every stage in business dealings, especially those involving the government. Ordinary people, through their ignorance, play a part in propagating corruption. It's a sad but true fact that Thais tend to admire people for their wealth, regardless of whether the source of that wealth is highly dubious. Our society does not ask questions, so those involved with the dirt of corruption are encouraged to get even dirtier.

Perhaps the greatest problem is that our law enforcement is far too lax. In spite of the endless headlines about corruption, only a small number of cases are pursued to the courts and the deliverance of justice. Transgressors are rarely punished, and even if they are, the penalty is never much of a deterrent against future violations.

Politicians in power are often assigned to the portfolio that covers their personal business interest. If they are not, they try to find loopholes in the laws to avoid certain regulations. Private companies agree to pay bribes because they cannot win projects based on their merit or ability to deliver. Government procurement projects in Thailand are not carried out via a transparent process, as the ministers in charge usually select contract winners from their personal business contacts. The list of wrongdoing goes on, and it all comes at the expense of the public interest.

The new anti-corruption campaign will hopefully serve as a sign that the private sector will not tolerate this situation much longer. Therefore, this first set of volunteers is an important model for the private sector. We hope it will spur an even greater organised and coordinated effort to suppress corruption in Thailand in the future.

These volunteers will be assigned to examine documents and collect information for the anti-corruption network to submit evidence to the relevant agencies if they uncover irregularities in any government projects.

Everyone is responsible for this problem, either through engaging in corruption directly or by simply turning a blind eye. We all have a responsibility to show that we are serious about changing our society for the better. These volunteers aim to instil desirable values in a new generation. The public and state agencies should fully cooperate with them in this endeavour.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-03-22

• Like 1

Focusing on politicians is a start, but it's ubiquitous and is the product of how your society is set up I'm afraid.The sooner you put face on the back-burner, hold people to account and make money number two, the sooner you can make a start at stamping it out.

Focusing on politicians is a start, but it's ubiquitous and is the product of how your society is set up I'm afraid.The sooner you put face on the back-burner, hold people to account and make money number two, the sooner you can make a start at stamping it out.

I agree with that jackr...........however we have to celebrate the fact that there are people in Thailand standing up and saying enough is enough.

There are far too many people prepared to take every opportunity to slate Thailand..........a bit of encouragement would go a long way, a very long way.

• Like 1

The problem is even with evidence never an official is charged and punished, just sent on holiday at an inactive post!!

What about Juthamas Siriwan case?? The foreign wrongdoers are in jail in US, why not her here!!??

What about Supoj Saplom case?? How long will he occupy his inactive post!!..

Many cases like that and sometimes with murders, but no...nothing!!

"Pramon Suthiwong, chairman of the private sector's anti-corruption network, said that surveys have shown that "tea money" usually accounts for as much as 30 per cent of a government project's value. This is a waste of the public's tax money."

Would any projects ever be seriously considered here if there ISN"T tea money to be had?

The problem is even with evidence never an official is charged and punished, just sent on holiday at an inactive post!!

What about Juthamas Siriwan case?? The foreign wrongdoers are in jail in US, why not her here!!??

What about Supoj Saplom case?? How long will he occupy his inactive post!!..

Many cases like that and sometimes with murders, but no...nothing!!

That's exactly right! The violations have to be prosecuted not shuttled out to a paid leave or outpost so that a new appointee can take up where they left off. The violators should be charged by a national enforcement office and dragged out in handcuffs to await an indictment. That's the only way to curtail corruption is to make the penalties to much of a risk. Can you imagine the insider trading in Thailand?

Pattaya beach jetski scam might reveal an easy to follow trail right up the ladder, small scale I know but there are definatly officials involved as they seem totally reluctant to do anything about it, it involves millions of baht - who has a finger in the pie ?

One cornerstone of corruption in Thailand relates to promotions. Military, schools, hospitals, goverment, business..... - pretty much every sector in Thailand accepts that money has to get paid to 'higher ups' in order to get promoted. Skills and wisdom take a back seat. Then it's no wonder that such things happen as: Tak Bai and Kru Sae, both incidents in south Thailand, where military top brass made bad decisions which resulted in dozens of unnecessary deaths of young Muslim men.

• Like 1

Pattaya beach jetski scam might reveal an easy to follow trail right up the ladder, small scale I know but there are definatly officials involved as they seem totally reluctant to do anything about it, it involves millions of baht - who has a finger in the pie ?

Only 'small scale' if 'entrenched power brokers' think it's 'mai pen rai' that dozens of tourists get hundreds of thousands of baht extorted - on a weekly basis. Obviously, authorities have a finger in the pie, otherwise jetski rentals would be outlawed in Pattaya and Phuket. It's a national scandal, and it appears nothing at all is being done to deal with it.

its a contagious disease here.

Perhaps the blacklisting by western country govt's. to particular individuals/govt. parties+military/ by exposing them here will eventually catch up for the betterment to this country.

“Our support goes to the first group of 130 volunteers who have joined an anti-corruption campaign set up by the private sector, which is fed up with the chronic problem of graft in Thailand.”

Will they find a new set of containers in the Gulf of Thailand in the near future?

The first people that ought to be aware of corruption should be the P.M. and her brother. Maybe a new trend could be started. Ha Ha.

A new trend of corruption was started. It happened to start in 2001! ;)

-mel.

There is a simple and effective way to deal with corruption in government, business, the police, military, etc. And that is good old-fashion undercover sting operations. Nowhere have I ever heard or read about this time-honored and effective police method suggested for Thailand. It's a no-brainer and it works marvelously.

And there is no need to squabble about where to start undercover sting operations - just start. The police forces are an ideal place to start: at gambling halls, motorcycle taxis, you name it. Police departments all over the world use undercover ops and they work. But, again, I've never, EVER heard it suggested for Thailand. This is why it would be so effective, no one is expecting it - they would never see it coming. It's a no-brainer.

I am sure there are enough loyal and honest Thai police officers and candidates for this. If not, get some from other SE asian countries. Just Do It!

Edited by Jawnie
  • Like 1

Oh... Ok... Next time I get pulled up on the road for doing nothing wrong (except being there) and forced to pay a "spot fine" just so I can get going again, I will go to the nearest police station and loudly complain to the captain about the apparent corruption his subordinates have committed?

I am sure he will thank me for pointing out the problem, return my hard earned cash promise the cuprites will be harshly punished and finished off with a genuine smile and a high wai.

When our Kingdom's pm (the fugitive one) is running away from the law refusing to accept his corruption crimes, we cannot expect ordinary Thais to fight corruption. When our Kingdom's dpm use his money to set a cop killer free and gets away with it, how can we expect Thais to respect our justice system ...

• Like 1

Oh... Ok... Next time I get pulled up on the road for doing nothing wrong (except being there) and forced to pay a "spot fine" just so I can get going again, I will go to the nearest police station and loudly complain to the captain about the apparent corruption his subordinates have committed?

I am sure he will thank me for pointing out the problem, return my hard earned cash promise the cuprites will be harshly punished and finished off with a genuine smile and a high wai.

You never know, it could happen. But if noone tries, it wont.

Aside from the fact that 200 billion is not 25-30% of three trillion. The article shows the right attitude. Like Martin luther nailing up his list of complaints the door of the Catholic church. Maybe Thailand can achieve a renaissance of their own. Chok dee

Difficult to see how corruption will ever be eradicated in Thailand any more than drugs can be. All third world countries suffer from it to a greater or lesser extent. Marcos, Mugabe, even the great Thaksin Shinawatra himself fell prey to it's spell and left a nation he could have governed for years in turmoil as a result.

Aside from the fact that 200 billion is not 25-30% of three trillion. The article shows the right attitude. Like Martin luther nailing up his list of complaints the door of the Catholic church. Maybe Thailand can achieve a renaissance of their own. Chok dee

3 trillion is mentioned as annual government spending. Only a part of it is contract spending.

This said, thumbs up for this initiative. Very good sign!

These people are so, so, so far ahead of the average mentality.thumbsup.gif

There is a simple and effective way to deal with corruption in government, business, the police, military, etc. And that is good old-fashion undercover sting operations. Nowhere have I ever heard or read about this time-honored and effective police method suggested for Thailand. It's a no-brainer and it works marvelously.

And there is no need to squabble about where to start undercover sting operations - just start. The police forces are an ideal place to start: at gambling halls, motorcycle taxis, you name it. Police departments all over the world use undercover ops and they work. But, again, I've never, EVER heard it suggested for Thailand. This is why it would be so effective, no one is expecting it - they would never see it coming. It's a no-brainer.

I am sure there are enough loyal and honest Thai police officers and candidates for this. If not, get some from other SE asian countries. Just Do It!

I agree, and have said the same many times. Why is it that Thai law enforcement is incapable of carrying out effective sting operations? I have a few theories:

>>>> They have trouble keeping a secret. It's too tempting for someone in the inside to inform others.

>>>> They're not good enough actors. In a country steeped in superstition and belief in paranormal, they think that others know their thoughts. Therefore, they think they can't pull a ruse, because their countryment will know what they're thinking.

>>>> They're not good a planning creatively. Example: US cops often set up 'sting' operations using fake lottery/prize winning schemes - where the 'winner' has to show up someplace to claim their prize. Can Thais think 'outside the box' enough to set something up like that? Doubtful.

>>>> Thai authorites almost never employ farang for sting operations. It would sooooo easy to set up a sting for the jetski rental extortionists at Pattaya and Phuket, but Thai authorities don't have a clue (or willingness) to set it up.

>>>> Thais are too willing to let a fellow countryman/woman get off on excuses. So, even when they catch someone, they'll likely let that person off - especially if the suspect is well connected, like Chalerm's cop-killing youngest son.

>>>> There's got to be bonus money involved. If no extra money, then no special service.

Martin Luther is more often associated with the Reformation, rather than the Renaissance. Either would be welcome.