Motorbike Accident Near Wat Lamai Yesterday

Gf & I came off our motorbike yesterday - my fault - and there were a large number of people taking pictures, of both us, and the motorbike wedged under the front of an SUV, as we were waiting for the ambulance. Just wondering if anyone here on TV took any pictures? I'd love to get a few if anyone did. PM me if you did and I'll give you my email address. Thanks.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully no serious damage to either of you.

Take care out there. thumbsup.gif

Thanks, no serious damage; I broke a few bones and sprained some joints, my gf got some bad bruising, but we're both feeling fortunate despite that. Bones heal and bruises fade.I'd like to see some pics, as I'm not exactly sure which way we landed.

Edited by jamesbrock

I failed to notice the inherent danger of a 'wet patch' on the road, therefore failed to ride accordingly.

Said wet patches - where Samuians water the road in an attempt, I presume, to prevent road dust from entering their place of business - are rarely a problem, unless one is accelerating (from standstill) whilst simultaneously changing direction and lacks sufficient riding skills to correct the loss of traction of one's rear tyre.

Yeah, I spent quite a bit of time in the Lamai police while I was between hospitals, as they were 'assisting' with the 'negotiated settlement'.

I admire your honesty in admitting that you made a mistake. Not many would do that.wai.gif

I hope you make a complete recovery from you injuries.

I admire your honesty in admitting that you made a mistake. Not many would do that.wai.gif

Thank you. I've had 72 hours in a wheelchair to reflect on exactly what went wrong in those fateful few seconds, and on how exceedingly fortunate we both are to still be alive.

Which reminds me, insertmembernamehere, I didn't answer your last question: no, neither of us were wearing helmets.

Yeah, I spent quite a bit of time in the Lamai police while I was between hospitals, as they were 'assisting' with the 'negotiated settlement'.

Agree, get well soon.

Agree, get well soon.

Thanks Rooo.

I saw the aftermath of that accident, I was sure I saw two motorcycles damaged though, defintely saw yours under the pick-up.

I will pop down to the French bakery and see if anyone there got pics of the accident then see if I can get hold of them for you JamesB.

Good to hear you are ok despite the badly damaged body.

I saw the aftermath of that accident, I was sure I saw two motorcycles damaged though, defintely saw yours under the pick-up.

I will pop down to the French bakery and see if anyone there got pics of the accident then see if I can get hold of them for you JamesB.

Good to hear you are ok despite the badly damaged body.

Thanks for that, that would be much appreciated.

A friend arrived on the scene after our bike was pulled out from the pick-up, and took two picture; it's a pretty messy sight.

Yes, I was introduced to the involvement of the second motorcycle while at the police station for the assisted negotiation - it appears they were following pick-up and rear-ended it after it hit our bike (or we hit it, whichever way you want to look at it); while there were no injuries, thankfully, I still paid for some damage to their bike.

Edited by jamesbrock

At all times while on the racetrack-with-villages, yes; heading 700m to the market, to be honest, probably not.

~

Interestingly, a Thai friend came to visit yesterday, who hadn't heard of the accident. We showed him the pictures of the bike, and he immediately recognised the pick-up. He then went on to tell us that the driver had bragged how he hit a farang and got 7000 baht for it, even though his pick up only received cosmetic damage. He also said he was doing 80 km/h when he hit us - although I knew he was speeding, I find 80 unbelievable considering how close he was to the corner. Trapper, do you reckon he could approach that corner doing 80 where he was, considering the road was clear in front of him?

Our friend was quite angry once he realised this. I was only surprised at how small his share of the negotiated settlement was... I forgot to ask him if the second bike was actually involved at all, or if it was an opportunistic involvement - I can not recall seeing it between us and the pick-up as I was bum-walking towards the side of the road.

Edit: readability. Typing with one hand.

Edited by jamesbrock

80km/h at that corner? No chance. Also, if he had hit you at 80km/h I doubt you would be here now to tell the tale.

I should have said hit the bike. We somehow got off in the nick of time, although one of my feel was still under the bike when he hit it...

I didn't think so, but I haven't driven on Samui, so wouldn't know the maximum I'm-a-complete-wanke_r-approach speed.

Edit: I just realised that, as I specifically asked Trapper, my comment could be misconstrued to imply that I think he's a wanke_r - I do not; I just asked him as he saw the scene and knows where approximately where the impact occurred, which was closer the bridge than the corner itself.

Edited by jamesbrock

I think at the end of the day you got away lightly.

1.) You're still alive

2.) You're girlfriend is still alive

3.) You're not a vegetable from head trauma

4.) You're girlfriend is not a vegetable from head trauma

5.) The Thai's didn't come after you for more money and harass you with guns/knives, threats, etc.

I hate driving on this island, I really do. I drive both bike and a pickup. I hate driving the pickup more as you have to be so alert to everything going on. Idiots everywhere. Still that's life on the island, you have to take the rough with the smooth.

Edited by angryfarang

I am not sure I understand the "negotiated settlement," part. Do you mean the shop had to pay because it had created a "water hazard," or that you paid because.....of something?

I doubt very much the shop would have had to pay.... More likely James had to pay both the truck driver and also the driver of the bike that hit the truck from behind...

I think at the end of the day you got away lightly.

1.) You're still alive

2.) You're girlfriend is still alive

3.) You're not a vegetable from head trauma

4.) You're girlfriend is not a vegetable from head trauma

5.) The Thai's didn't come after you for more money and harass you with guns/knives, threats, etc.

I hate driving on this island, I really do. I drive both bike and a pickup. I hate driving the pickup more as you have to be so alert to everything going on. Idiots everywhere. Still that's life on the island, you have to take the rough with the smooth.

I hate these idiots driving around, I feel bad for you, but

Oh I agree with you wholeheartedly! In fact, I've said so twice so far. If my posts give the impression that I'm seeking sympathy, that I apologise because I'm not.

I am not sure I understand the "negotiated settlement," part. Do you mean the shop had to pay because it had created a "water hazard," or that you paid because.....of something?

I use 'negotiated settlement' sarcastically. Basically it was extortion at its purest level.

I don't think the shop was involved at all, although here were an awful lot of people in police station, so it would not surprise me if they were 'traumatised' somehow.

I doubt very much the shop would have had to pay.... More likely James had to pay both the truck driver and also the driver of the bike that hit the truck from behind...

Correct. Although, as I said, I did not see any other vehicle on or near the road in the minute after the accident, and I pretty much remember everything after the accident - it's just the three seconds or so before the accident that I'm not clear on. As far as I'm concerned, the second motorbike's involvement was only opportunistic. Perhaps some pictures would prove me wrong, but...

Nevertheless, as you wrote, (and I agree) I got away lightly. I'm not complaining about the 20,000 I had to pay - as far as I'm concerned, I'm happy that part is over.

I would like to see pictures though, so as to clear up in my mind what way we landed, and how we actually got off the bike... The strange part is - I recall all my thoughts - and there were a lot of them as time seemed to slow down - but I don't recall what actually happened between hitting the road, seeing the pick-up bearing down upon us, and the impact, all of which took place within seconds.

Edited by jamesbrock

I do sympathise with you. I hate dealing with these people in this sort of situation. I've been there myself a few times. It sucks. Big time. They just see an opportunity to get cash.

One time my ex-girlfriend had an accident and I went to the police station to give her support. A horrible experience. She went in the to the back of someone's car. The owner of the car was a decent guy, he was fine about it, he said his insurance would deal with it, no problem.

5 minutes later his fat wanna-be-gangster brother turned up with his gold chains thinking he was some hard-ass dude from one of those rap videos. "Your girlfriend you pay" he said to me. I told him where he could go. He kept going on at me so I stood up and got right in his face. I would have clocked him one and choked him out. Idiot. One of the policemen intervened (I think they were tired of this guy now) and told me to leave and that I could come back later to get my girlfriend.

In the end the police sorted it out between my girlfriend and car owner, she didn't pay anything as he was happy the insurance would cover it. Decent guy.

Where are the pictures, and how much did you end up paying?

I only got two from a friend, which were taken after the bike was pulled out from under the truck. Just a written off bike; nothing to see there.

I do sympathise with you. I hate dealing with these people in this sort of situation. I've been there myself a few times. It sucks. Big time. They just see an opportunity to get cash.

One time my ex-girlfriend had an accident and I went to the police station to give her support. A horrible experience. She went in the to the back of someone's car. The owner of the car was a decent guy, he was fine about it, he said his insurance would deal with it, no problem.

5 minutes later his fat wanna-be-gangster brother turned up with his gold chains thinking he was some hard-ass dude from one of those rap videos. "Your girlfriend you pay" he said to me. I told him where he could go. He kept going on at me so I stood up and got right in his face. I would have clocked him one and choked him out. Idiot. One of the policemen intervened (I think they were tired of this guy now) and told me to leave and that I could come back later to get my girlfriend.

In the end the police sorted it out between my girlfriend and car owner, she didn't pay anything as he was happy the insurance would cover it. Decent guy.

Thanks. It just sucks how every man and their dog turns up to try to get something on these occasions. Good to hear the police weren't on his side that time!

So you hit a patch of water, slid and came off the bike and a truck then hit the bike on the ground? Then apparently another bike hit the truck?

I must have this wrong since I don't see how anyone would be paying except maybe the truck driver for compounding the damage to your bike. Where am I getting this mixed up?

I had come around the corner and crossed the road to stop in front of the fruit shop; the owner had just finished spraying the road as there was water all over it. They didn't have what we wanted so I took off, crossing the road again and heading away from the corner. The road was clear in both directions so my acceleration was normal (i.e. sedate). As I straightened up, my rear wheel lost traction. I tried to correct it, but as mentioned earlier, I obviously lack the required skills.

Three or four fishtails later, after not even travelling 20 meters, and still travelling quite slowly, we hit the road and slid across the yellow line into the path of a - by the driver's own admission - speeding pick-up. Which side we were sliding on is what I'm not sure of. I recall seeing the pick up bearing down on us while we were on our side, and thinking '<expletive deleted>'. At that stage I knew I was going to die. My only thought was to try to save my girlfriend - if I could move her backwards the pick-up might not get her too badly. So I gave one almighty push with both legs, to try to get her off the back of the seat, just as the pick-up hit the motorbike and destroyed it. From me seeing the pick-up to it hitting the bike was less than two seconds; as I wrote above, my left foot was still under the bike when he hit it, or above it, as it was hit too... It's pretty messy.

When I realised that I'd somehow made it, I yelled out for my girlfriend. She didn't answer. I looked around towards the pick up, which was stopped at the exact spot we took off form a few seconds earlier, and, thankfully, could not see her in amongst the carnage; it was then I realised that she was clung to my back like a baby koala. We sat up, and tried to get off the road, but I couldn't use my arms or legs, so I just sat there helpless for ten seconds or so surveying the scene and thanking my lucky stars. I did not see a second motorbike.

The cynical amongst us would say that you're forgetting to see, is I'm a farang... And while that may be the reason I had to pay, I take full responsibility for coming off the bike, and, in doing so, causing damage to a vehicle coming the opposite direction.

Edited by jamesbrock

I was down at the French Bakery this morning, no luck with pictures I'm afraid James.

I also asked at the fruitshop and the souvineer shop across the road,(where you were being cared for?) again, no luck, although I can't believe not one of these people took pictures as almost everyone has a phone with a camera.

Sorry I could not be more helpful, I should have whipped out my phone and taken a couple of pics myself, but that's not really my thing.

I was down at the French Bakery this morning, no luck with pictures I'm afraid James.

I also asked at the fruitshop and the souvineer shop across the road,(where you were being cared for?) again, no luck, although I can't believe not one of these people took pictures as almost everyone has a phone with a camera.

Sorry I could not be more helpful, I should have whipped out my phone and taken a couple of pics myself, but that's not really my thing.

Thanks mate. Your effort is much appreciated.

Yeah, the folks in the souvenir shop were fantastic; I intend to go and thank them once I'm up and about. I ended up directly outside there, so you can see I didn't travel too far!

Where are the pictures, and how much did you end up paying?

I only got two from a friend, which were taken after the bike was pulled out from under the truck. Just a written off bike; nothing to see there.

Thanks. It just sucks how every man and their dog turns up to try to get something on these occasions. Good to hear the police weren't on his side that time!

So you hit a patch of water, slid and came off the bike and a truck then hit the bike on the ground? Then apparently another bike hit the truck?

I must have this wrong since I don't see how anyone would be paying except maybe the truck driver for compounding the damage to your bike. Where am I getting this mixed up?

I had come around the corner and crossed the road to stop in front of the fruit shop; the owner had just finished spraying the road as there was water all over it. They didn't have what we wanted so I took off, crossing the road again and heading away from the corner. The road was clear in both directions so my acceleration was normal (i.e. sedate). As I straightened up, my rear wheel lost traction. I tried to correct it, but as mentioned earlier, I obviously lack the required skills.

Three or four fishtails later, after not even travelling 20 meters, and still travelling quite slowly, we hit the road and slid across the yellow line into the path of a - by the driver's own admission - speeding pick-up. Which side we were sliding on is what I'm not sure of. I recall seeing the pick up bearing down on us while we were on our side, and thinking '<expletive deleted>'. At that stage I knew I was going to die. My only thought was to try to save my girlfriend - if I could move her backwards the pick-up might not get her too badly. So I gave one almighty push with both legs, to try to get her off the back of the seat, just as the pick-up hit the motorbike and destroyed it. From me seeing the pick-up to it hitting the bike was less than two seconds; as I wrote above, my left foot was still under the bike when he hit it, or above it, as it was hit too... It's pretty messy.

When I realised that I'd somehow made it, I yelled out for my girlfriend. She didn't answer. I looked around towards the pick up, which was stopped at the exact spot we took off form a few seconds earlier, and, thankfully, could not see her in amongst the carnage; it was then I realised that she was clung to my back like a baby koala. We sat up, and tried to get off the road, but I couldn't use my arms or legs, so I just sat there helpless for ten seconds or so surveying the scene and thanking my lucky stars. I did not see a second motorbike.

The cynical amongst us would say that you're forgetting to see, is I'm a farang... And while that may be the reason I had to pay, I take full responsibility for coming off the bike, and, in doing so, causing damage to a vehicle coming the opposite direction.

I just love these post's. I worried about my GF. If you were so worried you should have made sure she was wearing a helmet before going anywhere. As for speeding pickup that hit you bike if he was speeding he did well to stop in 20 meters. Only lesson is learn and accept you made a big mistake.

• Like 1

I just love these post's. I worried about my GF. If you were so worried you should have made sure she was wearing a helmet before going anywhere. As for speeding pickup that hit you bike if he was speeding he did well to stop in 20 meters. Only lesson is learn and accept you made a big mistake.

Err... he already admitted the accident was his own fault. I suggest you re-read the thread, more thoroughly. It's also up to his girlfriend if she wears a helmet or not.

• Like 1