Repairing, Restoring Old Fans

triffid

Can anyone confidently refer me to a man or place where a few old fans I bought can be overhauled, serviced or repaired as necessary so as to get them working as once they did? A couple of them do work if I fiddle and the connexion is made etc. But really I want them to be restored properly by an expert electrician or whatever. I know this can be done - certainly in Bangkok - because I see these genuine old fans being sold in pristine condition and working order in certain shops - alongside the brand new copies.

In the soi just after nat motors on the left just after 7-11on huay kaew road as if you are heading towards doi suthep you will find a guy on the left hand side just as soon as you go in the soi there are loads of fans outside and very reasonable prices .

In the soi just after nat motors on the left just after 7-11on huay kaew road as if you are heading towards doi suthep you will find a guy on the left hand side just as soon as you go in the soi there are loads of fans outside and very reasonable prices .

I will go there if only to check the prices of fans comparable to mine and, if his work well, to ask him the same question I posted.

Can you tell me approximately which bit of Huay Keaw Road Nat Motors is? As to 7-11s I imagine there are several of those on that road.

Not what the OP asked but maybe of some use to others.

Most fans stop working when the spindle seizes up and the blades get difficult to turn.

Unplug the fan from the mains first.

An easy fix is to remove the fan blades and cage then undo the screws to remove the plastic cover and plastic front plate, usually only about 3-4 screws. so you are left with just the bare motor.

Get a spray can of Contact Cleaner, red labeling, from any of the big stores or computers shop, try to the get one with little plastic extension tube.

Spray the contact cleaner into and onto the bearings of the fan motor wiggling and turning the spindle to work the fluid into the bearing.

Once the spindle is freely spinning again reassemble the fan and enjoy the cool breeze.

:-)

• Like 1

Gentlemen, I think I may have misled some or all of you by not clarifying that the fans I want repaired/restored are not merely old, but near antiques. I'd guess they were made in the 1950s, maybe 1960s. This is why I wanted to find an exceptionally competent repairer.