Traffic Enforcement Is Here!

The good news is that there are actually motorcycle policemen looking for traffic violators in Chaweng. The bad news is that I think I was scammed. On the ring road in Chaweng not far from the PTT station I came up on the 3-way but the traffic light was not working at all (no blinking or anything). I slowed down and noticed the other cars slowing down then I looked at the opposing streets and they were all waiting so I went through the light slowly. A motorcycle cop came up alongside me and pulled me over only 10m from the light. He said that I ran the light. I pointed at the light and told him in Thai that it wasn't working. He just took my license and gave me a ticket. When I went to the station I told the sergeant that I was ticketed for running a light that was not working. He said that he knew the light was out of service and that would be a 1,000B fine. I paid it and left.

My question is should I have protested and asked for the boss? Is the average Thai charged 1,000B for something like this?

I have no idea about the fine, but usually "Farang" pays same as Thai's for not wearing a helmet...

One day last week in Maenam at the traffic light too, (not the usual spot by the Maenam COP Shop), the BIB were pulling over people (Thais) even with helmets.... I found out later it was because they did not have mirrors on their bikes... I've not heard of that one before... or know what the fine was...... one would hope too that, for not having working lights.... sad.png

I cannot remember if the traffic lights were working or not.... I seem to remember stopping until being waved on.... best policy I think when the BIBs are around.... dry.png

I know the lights are not working and you also knew it.

I passed by you when you got the ticket, nice motorbike the officer had.

Is the average Thai charged 1,000B for something like this?

Did you get a receipt?

Edited by PoorSucker

I came to almost a complete stop before the light, but then got scared someone would ram me from behind because there was no light. You see Thais going through blinking lights or no lights at over 100K. I think I did the right thing by looking for traffic and then just carrying on. Yes, they gave me a receipt at the police station so it looks like they are starting to get serious about going after violators. I am just wondering how many Thais can afford 1,000B a ticket.

I came to almost a complete stop before the light, but then got scared someone would ram me from behind because there was no light. You see Thais going through blinking lights or no lights at over 100K. I think I did the right thing by looking for traffic and then just carrying on. Yes, they gave me a receipt at the police station so it looks like they are starting to get serious about going after violators. I am just wondering how many Thais can afford 1,000B a ticket.

Probably only you

was there not a price list in the station, for each violation. Thai should be the same as farang. If no price list its probably stored in the same place as Samui immigration price list board. 1000 seems a bit steep.

Wait until the mainland immigration rules start getting enforced, it will come. i was in Samui recently and its still strange to see farangs working in bars.

was there not a price list in the station, for each violation. Thai should be the same as farang. If no price list its probably stored in the same place as Samui immigration price list board. 1000 seems a bit steep.

From memory, 1,000 baht is the maximum fine that a BIB can impose without having to go to court. I have seen something along those lines on the 'ticket' that they hand out. (That was in Bangkok and some years ago.)

Go to court. Just like anywhere else, if you think a ticket is bogus, you take it to court.

Unlike everywhere else, the courts are going to believe the testimony of a Thai police officer over that of a farang, especially once Nevermind.

I have no idea about the fine, but usually "Farang" pays same as Thai's for not wearing a helmet...

One day last week in Maenam at the traffic light too, (not the usual spot by the Maenam COP Shop), the BIB were pulling over people (Thais) even with helmets.... I found out later it was because they did not have mirrors on their bikes... I've not heard of that one before... or know what the fine was...... one would hope too that, for not having working lights.... sad.png

I cannot remember if the traffic lights were working or not.... I seem to remember stopping until being waved on.... best policy I think when the BIBs are around.... dry.png

and they are there again today, doing the same in the same spot