Samet, Koh Chang, Koh Lan, Or Koh Sri Chang

Green

Any recommendations on nice quiet, peaceful, places to stay on samet, koh chang, koh lan, or koh sri chang in sri ratcha? Either short or longer term. Have not yet been to any of them. (I recently saw a house advertised on Koh chang for 3k/mnth...).

Big differences between those places. Larn is very small with only a handful of places to spend the night. It's mainly day trippers from Pattaya. Samet is small also, but lots of places to stay...not sure about long term as most places I've seen are guesthouse/hotel types. Chang is much bigger, nice to have your own transport there as you can cruise around a lot. Sri Racha is on the coast, but not an island. It's quite developed, so would be very easy to find something long term. IMHO, the beaches are not that nice. But lots to do nearby.

I recommend you visit these places before making any commitments. Each one is quite different in it's own way....

Koh Mak it is the same island chain. A lot less people and a lot less crime than Koh Chiang. I personally think Koh Chiang is over rated<Personally know multiple victims of petty crime and life threatening accidents> . I have been to many islands in the area including the ones you listed. Koh Samet is anything but quite and enjoy the extra 240 baht charge for it being a park<Still a very nice island>. Koh Mak is quite, It is flat so it is safe to ride a motorbike<Koh Chiang is not it is a blood bath for motorbike wrecks> The prices are reasonable <More reasonable than most of Koh Chiang because Mak is Thai owned not Farang owned restaurants selling inferior Thai food at western prices. Te island is only 16km so you can get anywhere in 20 minutes. With a little planning it is as easy to get too as any other island. Van from Victory Monument 300baht pp> The ferry terminal for speed boat ferry 450Baht PP > Koh Mak accom 800 to 4000 depending on how fancy you want to get. We stayed at a place called Koh Mak Holiday resort for 800 a night it was wonderful.

Koh Mak it is the same island chain. A lot less people and a lot less crime than Koh Chiang. I personally think Koh Chiang is over rated<Personally know multiple victims of petty crime and life threatening accidents> . I have been to many islands in the area including the ones you listed. Koh Samet is anything but quite and enjoy the extra 240 baht charge for it being a park<Still a very nice island>. Koh Mak is quite, It is flat so it is safe to ride a motorbike<Koh Chiang is not it is a blood bath for motorbike wrecks> The prices are reasonable <More reasonable than most of Koh Chiang because Mak is Thai owned not Farang owned restaurants selling inferior Thai food at western prices. Te island is only 16km so you can get anywhere in 20 minutes. With a little planning it is as easy to get too as any other island. Van from Victory Monument 300baht pp> The ferry terminal for speed boat ferry 450Baht PP > Koh Mak accom 800 to 4000 depending on how fancy you want to get. We stayed at a place called Koh Mak Holiday resort for 800 a night it was wonderful.

Great info! I've heard there are sand flies from a number of members on Koh Mak. Did you experience this?

Big differences between those places. Larn is very small with only a handful of places to spend the night. It's mainly day trippers from Pattaya. Samet is small also, but lots of places to stay...not sure about long term as most places I've seen are guesthouse/hotel types. Chang is much bigger, nice to have your own transport there as you can cruise around a lot. Sri Racha is on the coast, but not an island. It's quite developed, so would be very easy to find something long term. IMHO, the beaches are not that nice. But lots to do nearby.

I recommend you visit these places before making any commitments. Each one is quite different in it's own way....

Koh sii Chang is a small island near Sri Racha.

I took a daytrip there and I wont be going back; No decent beaches, nothing to do. surounding water full of ships waiting to go in to port, and thus the water is full of rubbish. It is quiet tho....

Great info! I've heard there are sand flies from a number of members on Koh Mak. Did you experience this?

Yes, there are sand flies unfortunately. I have been bitten by those little buggers at a number of places in Thailand. I got bit on Koh Mak because of poking around every nook and cranny on the island. Most resorts take preventative measures to suppress the eggs. The island itself was remarkable many different looks from long sandy beaches to rugged mangrove and palm plantations on the back side. The water was amazing!! A lot better than anything I saw on Koh Chiang. We stayed at a place that had a deserted island within swimming distance it was really cool very Bear Grylis kind of feel. The island has very shallow bays so you can walk out really far during low tide. I liked this place we found great food at very reasonable prices especially for an island. Back to Sand flies it really is hit or miss with them because I did not get bit a lot until the last day and it was brutal I looked like an Aboriginal spirit dancer with all the white calimine dots on me.

Thanks for the info. I've heard from some who got brutaliized by the buggers and others who never saw one. Mak is very high up on my list of places to visit in Thailand. Next are the islands down in Satun. Hopefully soon!

Thanks for the info. I've heard from some who got brutaliized by the buggers and others who never saw one. Mak is very high up on my list of places to visit in Thailand. Next are the islands down in Satun. Hopefully soon!

Koh Mak is Phi Phi beautiful they are not lying when they say it is one of the few last untouched paradises in Thailand. There are a ton of nice places in Thailand but most are crowded full of touts and high prices. There are "Zero" jet skis on Koh Mak We did not see any touts only a surly Mon rubber farmer or two. What struck me about Koh Mak is people smile a lot here. Very friendly even by Thai standards.

Koh mak is great... I'm here now!! 2day we got a scooter and rode round the island... Great fun. Nice and quiet. Go to koh kham from koh mak resort pier... Lovely white sand beaches, very little sand flys. U must stay at little moon villas, great little villas by the sea front, the Thai food is soo good there!! People are helpful and nice... It's a must to come here :-)

I just saw some pics. wink.png

Mak looks fantastic. I've got to go for sure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You might also want to have a look at Koh Kood, just 15 minutes south from Koh Mak by speedboat.

Yermanee jap.gif

No! Not Koh Kood!, Hoooooorrible place, don't go!!!

There's sand flies, and cannibals.. and pirates! and, and... mutant jetski-tuktuk hybrids prowling the forests at night!

Stay safe, stay away!

Just to be clear, I definitely, definitely!, don't tell you that because I think the place is amazing and want it to remain as it is instead of having it turn into another overdeveloped tourist trap.

Have I fooled anyone?