Thai National: 90 Day Reporting

My Thai wife recently entered Thailand using her British passport and was given 30 days stay and yes I know, she could have used her expired Thai passport.

She travelled to Pathumthani immigration and there she was given 12 months visa reporting every 90 days.

My question is, when she reports her 90 days by mail, can she use form TM47 - Alien of staying longer than..........

Regards

Why not get her to cross out of Thailand at a border and return with a new Thai Passport. Surely easier than doing all the 90 day reports and other stuff. And a good chance for some shopping.

Edited by beano2274

Why not get her to cross out of Thailand at a border and return with a new Thai Passport. Surely easier than doing all the 90 day reports and other stuff. And a good chance for some shopping

---------------------------------------

Yes, already thought of that...................and how they love shopping, but my question is, can she use form TM47?

Regards

licklips.gif Ah. that explains it!

I was in Cheang Wattana last week doing my 90 day reporting, and there was a man in front of me, obviously Thai, who had that same form and was doing his 90 day reporting also.

I wondered why he would be doing that as he was clearly Thai. He had a Thai passport too, which really confused me.

He also had a U.S. passport.

Now I am guessing that he had entered on that U.S. passport, and had just recieved a new or replacement Thai passport in Thailand...so since he entered on that foriegn passport and was staying in Thailand, he was subject to 90 day reporting on that foriegn passport.

So, I guess, the answer is that; Yes, a dual national that enters on their non-Thai passport does have to do 90 day reporting also on a non-Thai passport to extend their stay in Thailand.

Amazing.

giggle.gif

Wouldn't that cause any problem:

Leaving Thailand on the passport you entered with (US, AUS, EU, etc) means, that you leave the departure card behind.

Now, you do not use your Thai passport upon leaving Thailand which means that you don't receive a departure card for your Thai passport which may cause problems upon entering Thailand again on a Thai passport.

How would immigration respond, if you close your stay on a foreign passport and exit Thailand on a Thai passport at the same time?

Just wondering.

Having considered the above, it makes a lot of sense for my wife to do a visa run returning to Thailand with her new Thai passport.

Thank you guys.

except doing the passport swap at a land border wont work. She'll need to depart by air, leaving on the Brit passport and returning on her Thai.

A cheap Airasia flight to a neighbouring country should do the trick and fix the shopping needs.

• 8 months later...

Having processed a couple of 90 day reporting by mail to Sam Khok immigration, my wife is now booked to fly to Penang shortly with AirAsia.

She (my wife) will use her British passport to exit Thailand at Don Muang and therefore cancel the one year Thai visa.

Enter and exit Penang on her Thai passport.

All I am concerned about is that when she enters Thailand she will not have a TM47.

Comments please.

She will have to explain this is her first trip on her new passport - nothing illegal but she might have to talk to supervisor if line official insists they can not stamp Thai passport (they can). Expect she should fill out a TM-6 other nationalities and immigration will keep both copies but have no experience.

Edited by lopburi3
correct TM number

I think it is a TM6 arrival/departure card that is being discussed not a TM47 for 90 day reporting. A TM47 is not needed for departure or arrival.

I think it is a TM6 arrival/departure card that is being discussed not a TM47 for 90 day reporting. A TM47 is not needed for departure or arrival.

You are correct, two completely different things.

she enters Malaysia on her new Thai passport and exits on it. BUT TAKE HER OLD THAI PASSPORT WITH HER...

She has two options returning to Thailand.

1) If she goes to a real life immigration officer - hand over both old and new passports and he'll process her.

2) If she walks through the automatic gates - the new passport should work in getting her buzzed through the gates. If not, she'll be directed to (1).