Register A Car With International Drivers License Ok?

flying

Sorry if it has been asked & I tried search function but........

Are you allowed to register/insure a car with a International drivers permit?

I will be getting a Thai license I am sure but just wondered as to which

needs to come first.

Moving over soon & buying car is first order of business.(if possible)

But I wondered if I can register/Insure it in my name with a IDP

Thanks

Edited by flying

I do not believe that having a drivers licence of any kind is part of the registration process.

Owning a car and driving it are two separate things.

Yet you decline to inform the op further.

Most helpfull.

Who are you? The Help Police? (who doesn't help?) The unHelpful Police maybe?

My wife has registrations, she doesn't have a licence.

As to what he needs i would imagine it is visa, id and a letter of residence. But with the licence question answered he will undoubtedly have all the required things and the car dealer will take care of it for him.

Thanks & good to know

Just trying to get the ducks lined up as to which order to do what first upon arrival

Now I wish we did not sell my wifes car last year.

We use to leave it with family while we were gone.

Now that we are moving back to live full time a car/truck is the first order of business.

Of course will rent for awhile but just hope it is not too long.

The recent posts on unavailability of new trucks I was interested in is not great news :(

As to the letter of residence I may try for the yellow book if it is not too much hassle as we own a condo there already.

If it is a big hassle I guess I can get the single proof of residence at the embassy or Immigration.

Thanks again

Thanks & good to know

Just trying to get the ducks lined up as to which order to do what first upon arrival

Now I wish we did not sell my wifes car last year.

We use to leave it with family while we were gone.

Now that we are moving back to live full time a car/truck is the first order of business.

Of course will rent for awhile but just hope it is not too long.

The recent posts on unavailability of new trucks I was interested in is not great news sad.png

As to the letter of residence I may try for the yellow book if it is not too much hassle as we own a condo there already.

If it is a big hassle I guess I can get the single proof of residence at the embassy or Immigration.

Thanks again

What were you going to buy (that has the wait)?

I'll be back in a few months and want to get a truck pretty much straight away. I don't really care what, I'm over getting cars as bling, but I don't want to wait for months either.

In order of preference it would be Triton (Mitsu) , Vigo or Ranger.

What were you going to buy (that has the wait)?

I'll be back in a few months and want to get a truck pretty much straight away. I don't really care what, I'm over getting cars as bling, but I don't want to wait for months either.

In order of preference it would be Triton (Mitsu) , Vigo or Ranger.

I rather liked the Mazda DBL 2.2 Hi-Racer model or possibly the Ford

but they seem to be having delivery problems

I am hoping it is limited to the 3.2 4x4 models but will see when I arrive.

If not then I will probably go Toyota even if it is long in the tooth updates wise.

I do not need to be on the bleeding edge of new features so that would be fine.

Edited by flying

No, no DL needed, but what you do need is either a work permit (showing your address) or a letter from Immigration "Certificate of Address" for the purpose of buying a vehicle.

AFAIK the latter can only be obtained if you do have a long-term visa (no visa-exempt or tourist-visa).

It would be a good thing if buying a car is only possible with a DL; roads would be a lot safer.

what you do need is either a work permit (showing your address) or a letter from Immigration "Certificate of Address" for the purpose of buying a vehicle

acutally you don't need anything except money for buying a vehicle but for its registration either document, as mentioned above, is required.

No, no DL needed, but what you do need is either a work permit (showing your address) or a letter from Immigration "Certificate of Address" for the purpose of buying a vehicle.

AFAIK the latter can only be obtained if you do have a long-term visa (no visa-exempt or tourist-visa).

It would be a good thing if buying a car is only possible with a DL; roads would be a lot safer.

Address verification from immigration can be obtained also with visa exempt or tourist visa entry.

Address verification from immigration can be obtained also with visa exempt or tourist visa entry.

+1

what you do need is either a work permit (showing your address) or a letter from Immigration "Certificate of Address" for the purpose of buying a vehicle

acutally you don't need anything except money for buying a vehicle but for its registration either document, as mentioned above, is required.

and as he will have to wait 2 months for the vehicle and a further 3 months for the registration he has plenty of time to get his Thai licence.