Good Budget Android Phone?

I just lost my beloved Nexus One in a taxi, so I need a new phone. But realistically, I had hardly used it for anything but calls since I got a Galaxy Tab. I'm torn between getting a Galaxy Note or just getting a basic Android model that does calls and is capable of running basic apps (email, calendar, and music/podcast client), and 3G capable (DTAC).

Thing is, I have no idea about the low end of Android devices. Any suggestions for a solid but cheapish model?

Thanks I'll have a look. No particular budget, I just don't think I would actually use a high end smart phone, simply because I prefer to do most non-call stuff on the tablet now (the Note might be an exception). So getting an expensive one would probably be a waste.

I'm looking for a basic smart phone really. I'm not going to be watching videos or doing anything complicated on it. I listen to a lot of audio though, so a cardslot for storage would probably be a good idea.

Edited by Crushdepth

I am very pleased with my Motorola Defy Plus. I'm surprised that it is not more popular. In addition to being an Android phone with all the features, it is water and shock resistant. The camera is quite good and functions are fast. The price has now dropped to below 10,000 baht. I have disabled the Internet auto connecting for syncs and updates. That makes the battery life quite good. The battery is also larger than most of the competition.

I also have the Galaxy Tab so went with the Galaxy Cooper....very nice no problems

Just got the Cooper for wifey. Lucky me got her old phone...but the Cooper is quite nice. More power than she'll ever need!! And it's a nice size, so easy to carry around.

Just got the Cooper for wifey. Lucky me got her old phone...but the Cooper is quite nice. More power than she'll ever need!! And it's a nice size, so easy to carry around.

Yes Craig very nice.

Funny too but the size/fact it could fit in my pocket is what made me decide to get it.

We looked at several models. I actually wanted the Mio (thing that's the name), the next model down. It was 6800B. But the Cooper had a flash, and wifey loves to take party pics, so got the Cooper. The cameras are not really that good, but when you are out, it's fun to snap a few shots of all your friends.

I'm just getting into this thing and it is truly amazing at all the stuff you can do with it. Way more powerful than I'll ever use!

I weakened and got the Galaxy Note, but thanks for your input. The others didn't support the 850 band for 3G at least on paper (I couldn't get a cast iron confirmation out the the sales people), and I'm with DTAC. Data is more important to me than voice, so that was it.

The Samsungs look like pretty dam_n good phones though.

I weakened and got the Galaxy Note, but thanks for your input. The others didn't support the 850 band for 3G at least on paper (I couldn't get a cast iron confirmation out the the sales people), and I'm with DTAC. Data is more important to me than voice, so that was it.

The Samsungs look like pretty dam_n good phones though.

let us know how you get on with it in comparison...