Stomach Ache The Morning After Spicy Food

ThailandDenmark417

Thanks for the answers, much appreciated. When it's possible for Thai's to eat the dishes, it's possible for me too smile.png

It's not like I'm in loads of pain, I just need to visit the bathroom two times within' 15 minuts, then it's over.

Again, thanks.

Emil

Sorry, not quite correct. Many Thais have problems eating very spicy food, and many Thai doctors tell them to avoid it.

The problem (as far as I can see, occurs in the 30s). Unfortunately many Thai people regard spicy food as a comfort food, strangely enough. My guess is that between 20% and 30% of Thais avoid spicy food, at all meals.

• 3 months later...

Hello, I have a problem the same, it is dry chilli powder that attacks my bowl and stomach that give the unpleasant feeling, I now use fresh chilli in as much as possible in place of dried, the only way I eat dry is to make sure it is ground and cooked in pastes ect, when adding to salads and dishes like larb fresh is the best way.

Hi Emil,

Get used to it. Everyone gets 'the scours' now and then here.

Not sure about the advise regarding milk etc. If you have a bit of an irritable bowel anyway you possibly won't tolerate the sugars in most dairy ie. lactose. It might upset your tummy more. This sugar takes a bit of work by the bowel and an often lacking enzyme which breaks it down called lactase. Careful on the dairy. Try it in a bit of a controlled environment and assess yourself or it's a very easy test to have done by a medical facility.

Be sensible about what you eat. The spiciness alone should be acquirable. Sounds like you're cool with it already(sorry). Other problems you will never tolerate. Seen the locals swim in the khlongs off Chao Phraya? We'd be dead sure.

If food or preparation don't look up to scratch don't dine.

Look for busy places - restaurants and shops/markets - high turnover.

WASH YOUR HANDS BEFORE EATING. Think about who else has touched that coin or the back of the chair you just pulled out.

If the taste or texture of something seems maybe wrong trust your instinct and don't have a 2nd taste. If a prawn seems 90% good that's bad.

Don't be a hero and attempt to eat everything that others do. Particularly in rural areas.

Do drink too much water during a meal. A Thai always seems to have a big glassful at the end of the feast.

It'll still happen. Keep some proper electrolyte sachets for when it does. The sports type drinks are not adequate. You'll get over it quicker with these. Google the science and enjoy the gastronomic journey.

My own idea is to adopt a little Burmese orphan as a food taster.

I will disregard your burmese orphan taste remark. But i am interested, why do you say: Do drink too much water during a meal. A Thai always seems to have a big glassful at the end of the feast.

Thanks for the answers, much appreciated. When it's possible for Thai's to eat the dishes, it's possible for me too smile.png

It's not like I'm in loads of pain, I just need to visit the bathroom two times within' 15 minuts, then it's over.

Again, thanks.

Emil

Sorry, not quite correct. Many Thais have problems eating very spicy food, and many Thai doctors tell them to avoid it.

The problem (as far as I can see, occurs in the 30s). Unfortunately many Thai people regard spicy food as a comfort food, strangely enough. My guess is that between 20% and 30% of Thais avoid spicy food, at all meals.

Hi - I used to be able to eat really spicy stuff (funnily enough I never used to when I was younger but easily built up a tolerance when I met my Thai husband in my early 30s). But since about 4 years ago I have gradually found that I was getting more and more stomach pain when I eat chilli to the point that within a few hours of eating something hot I am in enough pain to think that it is no longer worth eating spicy food. There are a few things that could be the reason - I can't remember the exact time it started but it was around the time our son was born and also I had a bad stomach bug in Thailand (but just after we had arrived and there had been a big outbreak of diahorrea and vomiting bugs in the uk) or the final reason could be age as it has been while I have been 35-40 yrs. I have never got it checked out but it's interesting what someone said about the ulcer - definitely a good reason to get checked out. Also I have been chatting to some of my husband's family and although most of them eat spicy food (and some very spicy) there are quite a few who dont at all due to stomach pain - they are mostly from late 40s/early 50s upwards so maybe age is a factor too. My husband eats very spicy food and also suffers with it but it's just one of those things - he's happy to put up with the side effects and I'm sure there are plenty of Thais like that. It's a bit sad that I can no longer eat spicy food as I feel I'm missing out on lots of lovely food but there's no point if I don't want to put up with the stomach ache! On the plus side it's much easier than I thought to eat non spicy food all the time - before we moved here (when we just came on holiday) I'd never thought that would be possibe but there are lots of non-spicy dishes.