Meeting Hears Of Professors' Plight: Thailand

webfact

SPECIAL REPORT

Meeting hears of professors' plight

Pravit Rojanaphruk

The Nation

Many lecturers work extra hours to supplement their meagre salaries

BANGKOK: -- The sense of unease was palpable when some 200 employees from different state-supervised universities across the country met to air their problems at Chulalongkorn University last week.

Many of these people had previously been told by their superiors to not congregate and "make a noise" because they risked defaming their own institutions. However, those who met last Saturday had valid grievances, with many saying that their meagre compensation did not just affect them personally but also the quality of many graduates.

They said 13 years of the private-employee system, instead of being employed as government officials, has deprived them of decent salaries and job security, adding that making teachers contracted workers was affecting the educational sector.

The meeting heard accounts from some Rajabhat University lecturers who had started selling insurance packages to their students in order to make ends meet. Apparently, they were told that the deal could be made in exchange for good grades.

"If we can't protect our own rights, we can't protect the rights of our country," Kasetsart University Assoc Prof Sumit Suwan said. The professor also holds the position of the university's associate dean for research and academics and is the leader of the newly established Network of University Employees.

Sumit said many of the 40,000 employees of state universities earned very little, especially those from lesser-known institutions, and the reason behind this was bad governance by university administrators and the Education Ministry turning a blind eye. The professor urged his colleagues not to abandon the hope of earning a better livelihood and imparting better education to their students.

Prathai Piriyasurawong, lecturer of Communication Arts at Chiang Rai Rajabhat University and a representative for lecturers from the North, can barely scrape together Bt19,000 despite working extra hours. The 46-year-old has been with the university for eight years now, yet he is still having problems making ends meet and paying his mortgage. However, he refuses to start selling insurance or other things as suggested by his wife.

"Sometimes I simply go home to have instant noodles for lunch," he told The Nation.

Prathai added that long working hours and a severe shortage of staff were also affecting the quality of education, and he agreed with Sumit, who said that many university administrators were blatantly misusing the funds they received from the government.

"Many of them go overseas every week," he said, referring to trips dubbed as work or study visits.

Sumit, struggling to hold back tears, told the gathering that he nearly ended up holding the meeting at a temple because many universities refused to host it.

The student teacher ratio at many Rajabhat universities is 130 or more to one, even though ideally there should be one lecturer for every 30 students.

When the group submitted a petition to the authorities, a representative advised them to first try and sort things out with their direct bosses.

Yet, even though the lecturers are not optimistic about there being any change without direct government intervention, a mutiny has begun and people like Sumit and Prathai have been elected to represent those affected.

Prathai said that a drastic change to tactical strategy was required and the network needs to become more aggressive. So far, only TPBS TV station and Matichon newspaper have paid any attention to the group.

"I complained and have been made a leader," said Prathai, who rode a bus all the way from Chiang Rai.

"The culture of academia is one of compromise, otherwise I would be rallying outside the Education Ministry already."

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-04-07

"The professor also holds the position of the university's associate dean for research and academics and is the leader of the newly established Network of University Employees"

"....................... and the reason behind this was bad governance by university administrators and the Education Ministry turning a blind eye"

Everytime I see the word "network' in airing group grievances of any kind, I see the organizational arm of the PAD. So all-of-a-sudden, these questionable problems are the making of this new Govt. and its' 'blind Education Ministry"?........ Having taught at a Rajabhat University in the past, I did not see or hear about any of these compensation problems, in fact quite the opposite......... So the intent of this so-called 'network' needs to be carefully scrutinized as to its' motivations......... I'm sure normal channels of pay and benefits administration are available to address these issues, which use comparative analysis during their compensation reviews. Are these people disadvantaged compared to their peers elsewhere? Such research is readily available rendering protestations to the contrary subject to easy diagnosis .......... Motivation?

Edited by CalgaryII

The meeting heard accounts from some Rajabhat University lecturers who had started selling insurance packages to their students in order to make ends meet. Apparently, they were told that the deal could be made in exchange for good grades.

No wonder I don't get the grades in school. I did not buy any insurance.

The main problem with Thai Education from Anuban up to University is the teacher/student ratio. In this article they mention 1 to 130, in most Thai schools it's 1-40 or even 1-50. While teachers can lecture to large classes just as well as they can to small classes, there really can't be enough teacher-student interaction with the larger classes.

People criticise Thai teaching styles (top down & rote learning) but I have seen Thai teachers change and teach much more effectively when they have smaller classes. Until Thailand starts recruiting and trainging a new generation of teachers (which would include giving them decent compensation) the educational system will simply not improve. Anything else - tablets or motivation dry.png - is just a band-aid that covers up the problem without reallying helping it.

HUB of mentally unstable farangs that were failures in their homelands?

HUB of happiness for foreigners that have their sh*t together?

Yes i know i used farang/foreigner. Subtle hint. tongue.png

Back to the issue at hand, I was talking to some people about these poor, instant-noodle eating and insurance-flogging Proffs. at Rajabhat, and was almost laughed out of the room. I am told there is so much money sloshing around in that Rajabhat University system that to claim poverty is nothing but political agenda. When they can come up with credible comparative salary data showing they are disadvantaged relative to their peers, will any attention be paid to this so-called 'network'.

Edited by CalgaryII

"The professor also holds the position of the university's associate dean for research and academics and is the leader of the newly established Network of University Employees"

"....................... and the reason behind this was bad governance by university administrators and the Education Ministry turning a blind eye"

Everytime I see the word "network' in airing group grievances of any kind, I see the organizational arm of the PAD. So all-of-a-sudden, these questionable problems are the making of this new Govt. and its' 'blind Education Ministry"?........ Having taught at a Rajabhat University in the past, I did not see or hear about any of these compensation problems, in fact quite the opposite......... So the intent of this so-called 'network' needs to be carefully scrutinized as to its' motivations......... I'm sure normal channels of pay and benefits administration are available to address these issues, which use comparative analysis during their compensation reviews. Are these people disadvantaged compared to their peers elsewhere? Such research is readily available rendering protestations to the contrary subject to easy diagnosis .......... Motivation?

You would have to be a complete idiot to think

Thai teachers received anywhere near the same as a Farong teacher. Beside this has nothing to do with PAD it has been going on munch longer than PAD

HUB of mentally unstable farangs that were failures in their homelands?

HUB of happiness for foreigners that have their sh*t together?

Yes i know i used farang/foreigner. Subtle hint. tongue.png

Back to the issue at hand, I was talking to some people about these poor, instant-noodle eating and insurance-flogging Proffs. at Rajabhat, and was almost laughed out of the room. I am told there is so much money sloshing around in that Rajabhat University system that to claim poverty is nothing but political agenda. When they can come up with credible comparative salary data showing they are disadvantaged relative to their peers, will any attention be paid to this so-called 'network'.

As usual you are trying to misrepresent the facts.

There was no denial of lack of funds. The complaint was and I quote

"Prathai added that long working hours and a severe shortage of staff were also affecting the quality of education, and he agreed with Sumit, who said that many university administrators were blatantly misusing the funds they received from the government.

"Many of them go overseas every week," he said, referring to trips dubbed as work or study visits."

Thank-you for the insight that, nine months onwards from the election which brought the PTP to govern Thaksinland Thailand, anyone airing grievances must be spurious, since there plainly can be nothing wrong here.

I clearly get a 'fail' at Red-Speak & Red-Thought, and should report to my nearest Red-school, for Red re-education myself !

Indeed Spectre and the KGB must be green with envy, at the dastardly mind-control & rabble-rousing which "the organisational arm of the PAD" creates daily, while simultaneously maintaining their 'cover' of being a minor splinter-group of middle-aged middle-class ladies led by a few dastardly media-barons, whose influence faded some years ago.

At the risk of being mistaken for a 'coupist reactionary', might I posit an alternative possibility, which is that the egg-heads have noted the B15k/month starting-salaries which their students are now guaranteed, and are merely wondering when it will be their own turn to be 'looked after' ?

Wasn't it the Education Minister, who recently said that there was nothing wrong in teachers receiving 'donations or gifts', from the parents of pupils wanting to het into more-popular government-schools ? Clearly he should have extended that to include the Mama-eating educators at centres of higher-learning as well. cool.png

• Like 1

I understand that Thai educational institutes themselves as opposed to their staffs, such as universities, technical schools, private schools, down to nurseries pay no tax .Is this correct? If so,it may be why they are awash in money, as a poster suggested.

Out of curiosity what are the official salaries for Heads of Department, professors, and lecturers at Rajabhat Chiangmai and others.

Possibly the heads of department and owners/directors pay themselves extremely well. I have searched their 'web' sites, if you can call them that, to no avail. Google the sites yourselves to witness web-based chaos.

A Thai lawyer friend of mind was wondering too, as a Head of Department at Rajabhat CMai (doctorate) has just completed a new house at probably no less than 8-9 million Baht, including 120 Taland Wah of land, off Thapae Road. The lawyer was thinking of trying to get a teaching gig there, as opposed to slaving at the central court near City Hall for apparently a lot less salary.

Edited by jingjoke

Thai teachers received anywhere near the same as a Farong teacher. Beside this has nothing to do with PAD it has been going on munch longer than PAD

Well my Thai wife earns double of the foreign english teacher, and so do most of the other Thai staff. So you don't see much jealous cropping up.

As for money sloshing about in Rajabahts - i can speak for them, but the budget in my wife's college is tightly controlled (two signatures are required to sign off on big cost items), while my wife, who is Director, can sign up to 2M baht by herself. However, "everyone knows" how much is being spent and on what, so it's not so easy to pocket money yourself. Tanking backhanders from contractors can happen, but again it becomes known to the college / university staff. that this happens. So only those bosses who care about their integrity will play the game honestly.

I'm sure in private institutions (such as schools), where 'donations' are accepted, this money will end up in someone's pocket !

But in response to the OP, I think there really needs to be a teacher / professors union, to allow them to push for more adequate pay and better working conditions. Such professors can earny much more in private industry, as is the case in other parts of the world.

Same as in any country, "I you go into teaching for the money then you are your worst own fool!"

Teaching gives much greater recompense when you see results that reflect your own work and efforts.

There are few jobs which give live and varied responses as a teacher may receive.

If you're in it for the money, then you are in the wrong job!

-mel.

Edited by MEL1

Well my Thai wife earns double of the foreign english teacher, and so do most of the other Thai staff.

I don't believe you for one second. That is complete rubbish, and you know it!

Unless, of course, you think foreign teachers earn 7,000 a month.

Crock of shi*, if I ever read it.

-mel.

A quote from a previous Nation Editorial

Populist spending will not fix our education woes

The Nation

"Thai decision-makers tend to blame poor education standards on a lack of financial support, and so justify their plans to seek more money to finance their new projects. But expenditure on education is at a similar level to other countries in the region, which have seen the performance of their students improve.

In addition, the average salary of teachers in public schools increased from Bt15,000 per month in 2001 to Bt24,000 in 2010, according to the National Statistical Office. Thai students also spend more hours in class than their counterparts in neighbouring countries. This is not to mention the time and money spent by Thai students and their parents in extracurricular cram schools and tutoring schools."

You are not only an ignoramus (witness your grammatical errors here), but you must be indeed a thicko if you think Thai university salaries are anywhere near that of professors elsewhere (you are the one to use "elsewhere" ). (I find it amazing that you could have been associated in any way with any university anywhere.)

Here are some useful data for you to mull over (if you can understand them). Here you will see a world comparison of salaries in many professions (in 2005). You will see that American and Japanese university professors earn 10 times the salary of their Thai counterparts.

But at least Thai profs (one eff) earn more than those in the Philippines, Lithuania and Slovakia.

Sorry if it's confusing:

http://www.worldsalaries.org/professor.shtml

Out of curiosity what are the official salaries for Heads of Department, professors, and lecturers at Rajabhat Chiangmai and others.

Nominal salaries have very little to do with actual income, especially as you climb the admin ladder.

Most positions outside the actual competitive private sector (and even some of those) have some level of graft opportunities, and one must purchase the position like a franchise fee, in order to get the opportunity to scam those that are in theory supposed to be "served" by the "public" institution.

There are exceptions, but I doubt many near the top of any major government-funded organizations here.

Well my Thai wife earns double of the foreign english teacher, and so do most of the other Thai staff.

-mel.

Perhaps his wife is head of purchasing or something and he's not talking about her salary but her actual income. Of course then one must dispute the use of "earn" in that context.

Edited by BigJohnnyBKK

You are not only an ignoramus (witness your grammatical errors here), but you must be indeed a thicko if you think Thai university salaries are anywhere near that of professors elsewhere (you are the one to use "elsewhere" ). (I find it amazing that you could have been associated in any way with any university anywhere.)

Here are some useful data for you to mull over (if you can understand them). Here you will see a world comparison of salaries in many professions (in 2005). You will see that American and Japanese university professors earn 10 times the salary of their Thai counterparts.

But at least Thai profs (one eff) earn more than those in the Philippines, Lithuania and Slovakia.

Sorry if it's confusing:

http://www.worldsala...professor.shtml

Let me clarify how salaries are administered, from my days as a Union Negotiator and salary/benefits administrator. Salary levels for any occupation, including that of these Rajabhat Proffs, are either negotiated during Union negotiations or where there is not a Union, other means are used, with the primary one being salary comparative research. Comparing what people of "similar functions with similar kinds and level of work" are earning. Obviously in such a case, it is extremely important to compare oranges to oranges and not apples.

You are correct about salary disparities between international locations and economies. In the case of Rajabhat however, only Thai salary comparators would be used. Proffs of similar levels would be identified at similar educational institutions in Thailand. That is why I pooh-poohed the notion that these people in this article can claim salary discrimination. I suppose if some organizational entity told you that you were underpaid and lets get together and hassle this dastardly Government about it, you would probably agree, and thank them for their concern.

Studying and researching the thing professionally however, these people would be quickly confused with facts. I expect that the Education Ministry wasn't born yesterday, and they will have these salary analysis well thought out. They don't pull salary levels out-of-thin-air, and review them with annual regularity, across the board and including all Educational institutions. They may have decided that they will pay a different salary level at a Government operated Institution than a private one, taking into consideration comparable benefits. A Proff. may well decide to leave a Government operated institution for a private one for pure salary reasons, but he may forego other things. Up to him/her.

Salary schedules often have levels, some of which are achieved through the Performance Appraisal system, others via seniority. I am not aware if Thailand has a performance based system for Proffs. as those are difficult to administer equitably. But if done fairly, can obviously have an impact on performance.

Anyway, I could expound on this further, but that is the main idea.

Edited by CalgaryII

Is it the salaries? teaching ability?or the flawed education system that is causing the under performance in Thai education?

Unless the failure can be attributed to salary.......no salary increase will improve results......so training, re-assessment of teaching process, and practices would appear to be the key......for the moment pay according to results, until such time as the education controllers catch up with the rest of the world......then applicable salaries may be applied

They should be pleased they are not trying to live on below 300 baht a day......according to many forum members to raise the minimum wage to 300 baht a day could prove severely detrimental to the future of business Thailand.....these 'education' guys should consider themselves fortunate

Nominal salaries have very little to do with actual income, especially as you climb the admin ladder.

Most positions outside the actual competitive private sector (and even some of those) have some level of graft opportunities, and one must purchase the position like a franchise fee, in order to get the opportunity to scam those that are in theory supposed to be "served" by the "public" institution.

There are exceptions, but I doubt many near the top of any major government-funded organizations here.

-mel.

Perhaps his wife is head of purchasing or something and he's not talking about her salary but her actual income. Of course then one must dispute the use of "earn" in that context.

My wife gets 45K the english teacher is limited to 25K :) . She is a c8 civil servant and now a director of a college, though being a director gave her a measly 2000 baht a month "increase". She will be on about 55K when she gets c9. You don't know much about the civil service in Thailand do you? She is NOT a school teacher in a private school, who will try to pay as little as possible.

"I clearly get a 'fail' at Red-Speak & Red-Thought, and should report to my nearest Red-school, for Red re-education myself !

Yes you do Ricardo.

Start paying attention huhdrunk.gif

Thank-you for the compliment ! cool.png

Unfortunately I fear that I am likely to continue to try to think for myself, and would not absorb the Red-propaganda force-feeding, so well as many other graduates of those illustrious institutions. rolleyes.gif

Everytime I see the word "network' in airing group grievances of any kind, I see the organizational arm of the PAD.

Oh dear. Paranoia alive and well I see.

• Like 1

Sorry if it's confusing:

Let me clarify how salaries are administered, from my days as a Union Negotiator and salary/benefits administrator. Salary levels for any occupation, including that of these Rajabhat Proffs, are either negotiated during Union negotiations or where there is not a Union, other means are used, with the primary one being salary comparative research. Comparing what people of "similar functions with similar kinds and level of work" are earning. Obviously in such a case, it is extremely important to compare oranges to oranges and not apples.

You are correct about salary disparities between international locations and economies. In the case of Rajabhat however, only Thai salary comparators would be used. Proffs of similar levels would be identified at similar educational institutions in Thailand. That is why I pooh-poohed the notion that these people in this article can claim salary discrimination. I suppose if some organizational entity told you that you were underpaid and lets get together and hassle this dastardly Government about it, you would probably agree, and thank them for their concern.

Studying and researching the thing professionally however, these people would be quickly confused with facts. I expect that the Education Ministry wasn't born yesterday, and they will have these salary analysis well thought out. They don't pull salary levels out-of-thin-air, and review them with annual regularity, across the board and including all Educational institutions. They may have decided that they will pay a different salary level at a Government operated Institution than a private one, taking into consideration comparable benefits. A Proff. may well decide to leave a Government operated institution for a private one for pure salary reasons, but he may forego other things. Up to him/her.

Salary schedules often have levels, some of which are achieved through the Performance Appraisal system, others via seniority. I am not aware if Thailand has a performance based system for Proffs. as those are difficult to administer equitably. But if done fairly, can obviously have an impact on performance.

Sheeeesh! Talk about pitiful structure to your ramblings...... LOL

Sorry if it's confusing:

Sheeeesh! Talk about pitiful structure to your ramblings...... LOL

I wonder if he realizes he is in Thailand?

Just what Thailand needs a Union Negotiator.

Edited by hellodolly