Traffic To Airport During Sonkran

KRS1

Something came up and i have to fly out of the country during sonkran sometime between the 13th-16th. So i need to get from Kad Suan Kaew to the Airport during this time.

Is traffic bad in the morning before 10am? Are the red trucks, tuk tuks or meter taxis running, during this time? I see two stages being built in front of kad suan kaew and across the street also. Something tells me traffic is going to be hectic.

Whats the chances of getting to the airport dry before 10am?

This is a stupid problem.

Traffic will be hectic but you can make it by 10:00. All the usual methods of transport will be available. I suspect this year there will be many motorcycle taxis as well. I saw a fleet of about 30 of them heading down the Mae Jo Road the other day.

I once took a taxi (tuk tuk) from KSK to the airport on a morning during Songkran a few years ago. But I made arrangements with the driver the night before just to be safe. He even arrived 30 minutes early. Might not be a bad idea to do the same.

The stages are there every year.

Good luck wherever you go.

Edit: I might add that I left around 7:30-8:00 because I did not want to get wet. No problem at that time.

Edited by elektrified

Couple things:

1: Traffic only gets really to a standstill from noon onwards. However you want to get to the airport early, just in case.

2: This is what the area right in front of Kad Suan Kaew looks like come April 13, 14 and 15:

009-post-1-1176525782.jpg

3: You will also want to get to the airport dry, presumably. On the 13 and 14th, kids will be out and playing water from early on. You could get a meter taxi, but those will charge incredible amounts.

What would I do in this case.. One of the following:

A: dress in super old shorts and a t-shirt and flip flops and wrap my bag/suitcase in two garbage bags. 9am traffic will still be flowing, I'd get a red bus or something to the airport. Then at the airport (possibly wet ;) ) i'd just dump the old wet shorts and T-shirt and put on dry clothes

B: Spend the last night somewhere close to the airport.. tough to find accommodation during Songkran though.

C: Find a friend who has a car to take you to the airport. Lock the doors.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 1

Traffic will be hectic but you can make it by 10:00. All the usual methods of transport will be available. I suspect this year there will be many motorcycle taxis as well. I saw a fleet of about 30 of them heading down the Mae Jo Road the other day.

I once took a taxi (tuk tuk) from KSK to the airport on a morning during Songkran a few years ago. But I made arrangements with the driver the night before just to be safe. He even arrived 30 minutes early. Might not be a bad idea to do the same.

The stages are there every year.

Good luck wherever you go.

Edit: I might add that I left around 7:30-8:00 because I did not want to get wet. No problem at that time.

Thank you for sharing your experience, and thank you also for the good luck wish.

Couple things:

1: Traffic only gets really to a standstill from noon onwards. However you want to get to the airport early, just in case.

2: This is what the area right in front of Kad Suan Kaew looks like come April 13, 14 and 15:

3: You will also want to get to the airport dry, presumably. On the 13 and 14th, kids will be out and playing water from early on. You could get a meter taxi, but those will charge incredible amounts.

A: dress in super old shorts and a t-shirt and flip flops and wrap my bag/suitcase in two garbage bags. 9am traffic will still be flowing, I'd get a red bus or something to the airport. Then at the airport (possibly wet wink.png ) i'd just dump the old wet shorts and T-shirt and put on dry clothes

B: Spend the last night somewhere close to the airport.. tough to find accommodation during Songkran though.

dam_n

change of clothes at airport noted: good suggestion

Edited by KRS1

Couple things:

A: dress in super old shorts and a t-shirt and flip flops and wrap my bag/suitcase in two garbage bags. 9am traffic will still be flowing, I'd get a red bus or something to the airport. Then at the airport (possibly wet wink.png ) i'd just dump the old wet shorts and T-shirt and put on dry clothes

wow <deleted>? ksk always been the quiet place for what i been, that pic is really crazy

wow <deleted>? ksk always been the quiet place for what i been, that pic is really crazy

Note that those people aren't going to KSK, they're specifically going for the party in front of it. It's one of the main party centers during the festival.

get the cab to take you the top road through the air force base should be dry that way???

Or,as a last resort if not open a full loop up to canal road down to Big C and back along Chiang Mai hod. But that time of the morning don't see too many problems.

A few thoughts:

Strongly agree you should arrange the driver, hopefully one you know, at least a day in advance.

0. if you are checking in for an international flight, or checking your bags through internationally while boarding a domestic flight to BKK, you should add an extra 1.5-2 hours to your "time buffer."

1. if you are actually near Kad Suan Kaew, I'd leave around 7am in any case.

2. if you can get with your bags up from Kad Suan Kaew to the first light west, at Sirikmankarajan, that would be a better meet-up place than anywhere very near Kad Suan Kaew.

3. Given that early time of day, lots of traffic headed past Airport Plaza will probably not be heavy.

4. If, as another poster stated here, you can go through the military base, that's the way to go.

Personally, I always go to the airport for any flight an hour earlier than any recommended time; then, I can relax, have a coffee, read a book.

good luck, ~o:37;

Itinerary received and change in game plan guys.

ughhh just got my itinerary, my flight leaves at 850pm on the 13th and I have to check out of my apartment on the 12th because the apartment office will be closed 13th-15th (get deposit back) anyone know of a cheap apartment close to the airport?..and how hard it is to find transport during this time?

the taxi phone number will be handy, im assuming 5pm-8pm on the 13th will put me right in the middle of the kill zone. No matter where im at.

Really need a hotel close to the airport, any recommendations greatly appreciated.

update: i have a few things i need to get rid of before leaving:

Edited by onthedarkside
items for sale should be placed in classified section

8:50 at the airport, so you really only need to be at the airport at 8pm. That sounds reasonably comfortable.

As for a place to stay.. how about the Airport Greenery? Right at the Airport/Robinson intersection. Not sure if they have something available of course; it's a tough time of the year to be looking for something.

http://www.airportgreenery.com/

Itinerary received and change in game plan guys.

ughhh just got my itinerary, my flight leaves at 850pm on the 13th and I have to check out of my apartment on the 12th because the apartment office will be closed 13th-15th (get deposit back) anyone know of a cheap apartment close to the airport?..and how hard it is to find transport during this time?

the taxi phone number will be handy, im assuming 5pm-8pm on the 13th will put me right in the middle of the kill zone. No matter where im at.

Really need a hotel close to the airport, any recommendations greatly appreciated.

update: i have a few things i need to get rid of before leaving:

Airport Greenery hotel is very close. It's on the corner by Airport Plaza. U can find them online.

Note that those people aren't going to KSK, they're specifically going for the party in front of it. It's one of the main party centers during the festival.

This is the place where they have Big Named Thai Bands play on Songkran. Posters of this years acts are up everywhere around the city. In the past I caught a concert by BodySlam and Da Endorphine here during Songkran. Definitely not the place to be if you don't enjoy LARGE crowds (or anywhere near the moat for that matter) and want to avoid the water. Anyway, it's hardly ever been a quiet area for the at least the last 7 years, since I've been coming to Thailand.

8:50 at the airport, so you really only need to be at the airport at 8pm. That sounds reasonably comfortable.

As for a place to stay.. how about the Airport Greenery? Right at the Airport/Robinson intersection. Not sure if they have something available of course; it's a tough time of the year to be looking for something.

http://www.airportgreenery.com/

Studios fully booked

A few thoughts:

Strongly agree you should arrange the driver, hopefully one you know, at least a day in advance.

0. if you are checking in for an international flight, or checking your bags through internationally while boarding a domestic flight to BKK, you should add an extra 1.5-2 hours to your "time buffer."

1. if you are actually near Kad Suan Kaew, I'd leave around 7am in any case.

2. if you can get with your bags up from Kad Suan Kaew to the first light west, at Sirikmankarajan, that would be a better meet-up place than anywhere very near Kad Suan Kaew.

Thought about that, but that road is going to be a major detour route when they shut down huay kaew in front of KSK

Ok got a nice room for 790 a night, right at the Central airport intersection, great deal.

In BKK does anyone know where the TG first class lounge is? Is it before or after customs?

Ok got a nice room for 790 a night, right at the Central airport intersection, great deal.

In BKK does anyone know where the TG first class lounge is? Is it before or after customs?

After, assuming you are talking about exiting Thailand.

Edited by mesquite

Thanks, got it sorted out. There appears to many different lounges in different terminals, some being better than others.

Correct. Some have showers, so if you so desire, you can shower out, change clothes, snooze a bit, etc before your flight out of BKK. Good luck.

Edited by mesquite