Driving Licence

stconan

could anyone give me a quick run down on what i need for a thai driving licence, i have a non- im o visa , international driving licence, what else?  thanx

You will need a copy of whatever licence you have (plus original licence), your Passport with copies of relevant pages, a Doctor's Certificate, a Certificate of Residence from Immigration and two photographs.

I think that's about it, but I am sure someone will point it out if I have forgotten something.

If applying in Pattaya, don't bother taking your own photos as it seems to be mandatory that you go across the road to keep the 'family business' going.

Depending upon at which office you apply, which country you are from and the type of licence you have, be aware you may have to take written and practical tests although the written test should be in a form of English.

There are forms (written in Thai) that need to be completed, but again as to whether the staff will do that for you may depend on which office and which member of staff deals with you.

Good luck and let us know how you get on. :o

could anyone give me a quick run down on what i need for a thai driving licence, i have a non- im o visa , international driving licence, what else?  thanx

It's a bit of a performance & takes half a day but IMO is worth it because you're less likely to be 'mugged' by the boys in brown if you have an accident. Your initial licence lasts for a year & is replaced by one valid for 5 years.

BTW: An international drivers permit is acceptable, according to the thai embassy in London. They cost GBP 5.50 from provincial post offices in UK or via www.theaa.com (I'm sure non-brits will know where to look for local equivalent)

I was told at the Bangkok Transport office (not sure the correct name, the one near Chatuchak) that I can take my girlfriend to translate the writing test for me. Well she got it through at the third time, so she's very experienced.

I don't hold any driving license.

I have understood license in Thailand is available for everybody, not depending on visa status. I'm non-imm type ed.

Is this still correct?

The price was 105 baht, International after some time 505 baht.

Edited by sonnyJ

You'll need a non-immigrant visa, whatever type.

Tourists are supposed to use international licenses, together with their national one.

Non-immigrant holders can get by with the intermational licence, however getting a Thai one is highly recommended.

The Thai drivers license is accepted at most places as a valid ID, since your passport number is written on it!

they gave you a driving license without having to take any kind of written or driving test?

was this all above board? did u pay some tea money?

There 'IS' a written/driving test after the colour blindness test, but when you already have a driving license from back home a practical driving test is pointless (As shouldn't you already know how to drive!). That said however, when I applied for my motorbike and car licence you still have to take a spatial awareness test, reaction test and a parking test. All of these are simulated.

However tom yum goong has a point as for the bike licence there is no bike test whatsoever!

The cool thing about having a car/bike license is that in the eyes of many thais you are no longer one of the tourist masses but more of a resident. This manifests itself in the form of 'thai prices' when visiting tourist attractions and negotiating etc etc.

they gave you a driving license without having to take any kind of written or driving test?

was this all above board? did u pay some tea money?

No tea money required! My driver's license from the US had just been renewed two months earlier (when we first moved here). I was told the driving test is easy but I didn't have to take it and the same goes for the written test. I remember getting a proof of residence letter from the US Embassy (1,500 baht) a couple passport sized photos and of course my passport. I can't remember if I needed a medical certificate or not but those are easy to get and cost between 50-100 baht at any clinic.

As with other government departments the experience often varies with the location and the officers you deal with.

What you need.

* non immigrant visa (turist visa no longer accepted)

* health certificate (hospital, clinic etc.)

* tabian baan (house paper), with which you get an official document with your current address. either your embassy or immigration may issue this document.

after that you need to visit the transportation office. if you got driving license back home, you may not need to do the test.

I recently renewed my license - got a 5 year one this time around.

I managed to misplace both my UK license and my current 1 year Thai license, so this time round I needed to:

* Get a 1,400 baht letter from the UK embassy confirming my home address.

* Bring my work permit, 2x photos, UK passport and a police report about my lost Thai license.

* Take a written test in English upon application.

The test wasn't actually "written", but a series of multiple-choice questions on a computer monitor. 30 questions in total, need 23 correct answers to pass.

Cost of the 5 year license - 505 baht. No tea money involved.

Have a look here, to find out which office:

http://www.thaivisa.com/331.0.html

and this may seem like a silly question I hold dual nationality so if I get a letter from an embassy does it have to be from the embassy of the country for which I have my non-B visa or can it be from the consulate/embassy of my other nationality? :D

Just that one I'd have to spend a fare bit of time as its busy and the other....no one goes there very often so its a pleasure to deal with them...in and out in 20min :o

Both a Thai driving licence and a genuine international licence are reasonably easy to get in Thailand. But a lot of farangs are buying and using fake so-called united nations International driving licences which are printed in Thailand and sold by email. Many others are offered by email from various sources. They are all fakes. There is no such thing as a united nations international driving licence. They may fool the average Thai policeman but if you are involved in an accident the insurance company will consider you as driving without a proper driving licence and not pay any claims. So beware.

Why does this website allow advertisers selling fake international driving licences!!!

and this may seem like a silly question I hold dual nationality so if I get a letter from an embassy does it have to be from the embassy of the country for which I have my non-B visa or can it be from the consulate/embassy of my other nationality?  :o ...

I would say the letter should be from the embassy of the country that issued your passport containing the non-B-visa.

Could be too complicated to explain why your p/port from country A) and a residence confirmation by country :D.

Maybe, but only maybe if your IDP is issued in the country thast gave you the other p/port. Would take a lot opf sweet-talk and make photo copies.

Edited by Axel