Going To Laos/cambodia With Thai National

Hello,

I'm thinking of visiting these two countries with my Thai girlfriend.  Would like to visit about one week in each country.   What are the visa requirements for, Laos/ Cambodia, for my Thai girlfriend?  She does have a Thai passport.

Thanks,

khunbigjohn...jambalaya

Went to Cambodia myself in November with a Thai the visa is filled out at the port take passport photo's, $20 for the visa each and $25 airport tax upon departure.

Edited by STEALTH K3

Hello,

I'm thinking of visiting these two countries with my Thai girlfriend.  Would like to visit about one week in each country.   What are the visa requirements for, Laos/ Cambodia, for my Thai girlfriend?  She does have a Thai passport.

Thanks,

khunbigjohn...jambalaya

Went to Cambodia myself in November with a Thai the visa is filled out at the port take passport photo's, $20 for the visa each and $25 airport tax upon departure.

Hello STEALTH K3,

Judging by your reply, I quess a Thai national needs to pay for a Cambodian visa. Last year she didn't need to pay for a Indonesian visa-it was an automatic 30 day visa on arrival. I thought that ASEAN (association of south east asian nations) allowed free movement (for their citizens) between each others countries.

khunbigjohn....jambalaya

i can confirm that you need to pay for a Cambodian visa even if you are a Thai national. However, you might be able to get a simple border pass if crossing by land. i think this is only valid for a couple of days and you can't travel around the country.

Laos is the same. I went to Vientienne last year and made the mistake of paying for a visa. I think it was 40 USD! If i had just used my ID card i could have gotten a 3-day pass for nothing.

Laos is the same. I went to Vientienne last year and made the mistake of paying for a visa. I think it was 40 USD! If i had just used my ID card i could have gotten a 3-day pass for nothing.

Are you sure? My wife had to pay 200 baht for a pass. That was at the border though. And you can only go to Vientianne.

A bit off the topic but do you guys care what interest a Thai national might have in looking into their poor neighbour's backyard?

What is exotic and interesting to you may be dreadfull to them or even represent something they have run away from.

Angor Wat is the only thing I have ever heard Thais wanted to see, nothing else.

A bit off the topic but do you guys care what interest a Thai national might have in looking into their poor neighbour's backyard?

What is exotic and interesting to you may be dreadfull to them or even represent something they have run away from.

Angor Wat is the only thing I have ever heard Thais wanted to see, nothing else.

Since November last year there has been an agreement between Thailand and Laos for a visa free 30 day stay for both sides.

Just out of interest have you ever taken the time to visit Laos? If you do, you will realize the majority of tourists to Laos are Thai and they thoroughly enjoy the place.

I saw many Thai tourists on my last visit. The Thais I spoke to were all impressed with Laos. There were Thai families traveling in their own cars as well as the ones on organized tours. The food is similar to what they like and the place is very cheap compared to Thailand.

Some on my tour were so impressed with Laos; they booked further tours to Vietnam and Cambodia to see what those countries were like. You just need to watch and listen to the Thai tourists and you soon realize they love the place.

There are many places to visit and plenty of very scenic waterfalls. Not to mention clean clear air and lack of traffic jams. In the South they call the place “The Niagara of the East”. There's also Wat Phou from the time when Khmers ruled the area.

The Thais on my tour didn't pay for a visa. Mine cost US$30 and $1 for weekend overtime fee.

I must add I felt very safe during the tour. Our tour guide said theft was very rare and we never saw beggers.

Edited by Farma

Just out of interest have you ever taken the time to visit Laos? If you do, you will realize the majority of tourists to Laos are Thai and they thoroughly enjoy the place.

I saw many Thai tourists on my last visit. The Thais I spoke to were all impressed with Laos. There were Thai families traveling in their own cars as well as the ones on organized tours. The food is similar to what they like and the place is very cheap compared to Thailand.

Some on my tour were so impressed with Laos; they booked further tours to Vietnam and Cambodia to see what those countries were like. You just need to watch and listen to the Thai tourists and you soon realize they love the place.

There are many places to visit and plenty of very scenic waterfalls. Not to mention clean clear air and lack of traffic jams. In the South they call the place “The Niagara of the East”. There's also Wat Phou from the time when Khmers ruled the area.

The Thais on my tour didn't pay for a visa. Mine cost US$30 and $1 for weekend overtime fee.

Good to see a counter opinion, thanks for posting that. :o

I searched the forums for more about the visa situation for Thai's into cambodia but am still not clear. Say a Thai goes to PoiPet do they have to pay the 1000baht?

If there is a travel restriction how enforced is it? Say a person is going to cambodia for only 2days?

I searched the forums for more about the visa situation for Thai's into cambodia but am still not clear. Say a Thai goes to PoiPet do they have to pay the 1000baht?

If there is a travel restriction how enforced is it? Say a person is going to cambodia for only 2days?

You could contact one of the Cambodian Embassies for the information.

For Thai's:

Border passes into Cambodia are typically available at all crossings. Are valid for 3 days entry into Cambodia, but travel is restricted to border province of cambodia that you enter.

For longer term entry and to travel further afield, you need to get a proper visa like all foreign nationals, which costs 1000THB.

Funny you should say that my Laotian wife always wonders just why Thai's want to visit Laos considering the amount of shit they say about Lao people (I believe the deputy Thai prime minister had to make an apology following some inflammatory remarks he made regarding Lao).

It's always amusing when a Thai visits and speaks Thai to everyone, strange to they seem to think it's the national language. When anyone speaks Thai to my wife she pretends not to understand and ignores them (even though she's completely fluent).

Thai's come to Lao to buy cheap goods and maybe just make the way deeper to find out what Thailand used to be like.

My visits to the Bangkok embassy with my wife were very funny when people find out she's Lao they always she how pretty she is. I'm sure Thai people thing Lao people are mutants.

As for the answer to the question, as has been said it's free for a Thai national to visit Lao. As for yourself it's $30 for a visa on arrival which allows you stay for 14 days. This can be extended up to 30 days for $2 a day at most travel agencies.