Car In Storage

Spaniel

We are going to the USA in a few days for 6 weeks and will leave our two cars (CRV & Jazz) in the driveway until we return. Our neighbor will start both every week. My wife says we should fill both gas tanks up before leaving. Should the tanks be full, almost full, empty or does it make any difference?

Modern petrol deteriorates in a few weeks, if me l wouldn't worry, all i would do is put extra air in the tyres but remember to put them back to what they should be on your return.

Thanks Transam

When you say "extra air" in the tires, how much is extra? If 30 is normal would you say inflate to 40 or less?

Modern petrol deteriorates in a few weeks, if me l wouldn't worry, all i would do is put extra air in the tyres but remember to put them back to what they should be on your return.

Thanks Transam

When you say "extra air" in the tires, how much is extra? If 30 is normal would you say inflate to 40 or less?

Wack it up to 45psi. This is the pressure a dealer would use for stored rides. It stops possible flat spots occurring. If your pal is going to start your rides up, be sure to run them a few minutes to put power back into the battery cos starting uses loads of amps. cowboy.gif

Even though 6 weeks isn't that long time to leave a car sitting, I'd fill up the tanks. Less air in the tanks decreases the possibility of condensation. Extra air in the tires is a good advice. It's also good to place a "dry-z-air" in the car.