What Is Your Choice With A Free Million Baht

rcalsop

In the light hearted spirit of the season a question for you guys ...A favorite Aunty left you a million Baht stipulating it was for a car new or second hand in Thailand .the only other rule was NO PICKUP thats what hit her !.

What is on your realisable wish list of cars ??

I would start my wish list looking for an old second hand luxury merc ... not sure which model yet ..any ideas ???

Merry Christmas everyone

1 million baht for a new car doesn't actually buy you an awful lot.

New, i would go for the 2 litre Ford Focus hatchback, closely followed by 2 litre Mazda 3. Third choice would be the 2 litre new Honda Civic.

2nd hand is much more interesting.

But with 1 million i still would only look at Japs.

How about a Honda Integra? 1996 model going for about 800,000. Plenty of change left over too.

Mitsubish Evo VI, seem to be going for less than 1 mil.

Shame prices for an old Mazda RX7 or Toyota Supra seem to be at least 1.5 million. :o

1 million for a car is nothing - it's not like "buy anything you want, dear", it's more like trying to get pissed on a hundred baht.

New Civic is a mile ahead of any competition, easily. Second hand cars are more hussle and I don't have time to hunt for spare parts and visit garages every month.

But, on one mil you can't buy even new 2l Civic, unfortunately, not even 2l Mazda. And Ford doesn't offer 2l engine last time I heard.

But, on one mil you can't buy even new 2l Civic, unfortunately, not even 2l Mazda. And Ford doesn't offer 2l engine last time I heard.

2.0 litre Civic E - 1,020,000 - splitting hairs aren't we?

Ford Focus is available as 5 door 2 litre Sport

Can't be bothered to look up the price of the 2 litre Mazda but its there abouts.

Yes, splitting hairs a bit. Top model Civic is even more, isn't it? Mazda also is just a tad over a million.

I haven't seen Ford hutchback in the papers, I don't remember seeing one, even and Motorshow. What I remember is that Ford Ghia 1.8l is their top model offered in Thailand.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

I guess you can find some old WRX for under a million somewhere, but with new Subarus selling for 2.3 mil it's not a sure bet.

The idea of driving Subaru sounds good, but, at least for me, dealing with maintanance and spare parts of an old, niche car is too much of a trouble, and the older it gets the more attention it needs. But yes, theoretically speaking, Subaru...

I haven't seen Ford hutchback in the papers, I don't remember seeing one, even and Motorshow. What I remember is that Ford Ghia 1.8l is their top model offered in Thailand.

They only just released the 5 door model so thats maybe why you didn't see it at the motorshow, although that does sound a little strange not to promote your top of the range model at the motorshow. TIT i guess.

Found this on the Ford Thailand website.

http://www.ford.co.th/new/focus/images/size01_en.gif

2 litre 5 door Sport is on the far right of the pic.

The Mazda RX7 is an interesting car with its rotary engine. The trouble is, the RX7 is no longer made and I can imagine getting parts would be a nightmare. Plus, the rotary engines tend to consume more fuel than their piston counterparts.

I think the RX8 is available here but for a hefty price.

I'm sure you could get a good, used Cefiro for under 1 million baht. The new ones are over 1 million which is ridiculous for what you get. A lot of people seem to be modifying Cefiros these days.

Edited by Thaiboxer

Theoretically you could go down that road - get an old car and drop in second hand imported Japanese engine. Cefiro is big so any engine would fit, I suppose. One million will go a long way in terms of modifying, if you have time and inclination to deal with local mechanics, of course.

But generally - one million to chose a dream car is only teasing taste buds. We had a thread not long ago about best cars under 2 mil - there weren't any true killers for that price either. Mazda Miata was the best choise, I remember, but now it's also over 2 mil for a new model.

I remember the Mazda Miatas from Florida. Nice little sports cars; I don't know what they sell for in the States but I would imagine it's less than what they sell for here.

I like the 80's era Chevy Camaros. My father used to race them. They won't beat a Porsche Boxter but they're strong, reliable and pretty heavy so you can push your Honda/Toyota/Mitsubishi counterparts out of the way :o

If they sold them here in Thailand they would surely tax them through the roof.

• 2 weeks later...

You could go for a BMW 523 ~ 2000 model, they are going for around 1 million.

You could also get a Volvo S60 from ~2001-02.

If you are going for a new car, sub 1 million there are heaps of very good cars to go for. If it had to be spend on a car I would probably go for a 1.8 liter civic myself. It's a 140 hp engine. The 2 liter model is only 155, heavier engine and older technology. The 1.8 is more fuel efficient and will easily break the speed limits in Thailand. You can use the change to buy some accessories.

I'd rather buy a second hand car for 200k and invest the rest in a house. Second hand cars are cheap to keep going in Thailand thanks to low cost of second hand parts. A new car is a perfect way to kiss a big pile of money goodbye. The BMW above is a case in point. A car that cost upwards of 3.5 million baht has lost around 2.5 million baht in 6 years. (400k a year!) Fools and their money.

• 2 weeks later...
I would probably go for a 1.8 liter civic myself. It's a 140 hp engine. The 2 liter model is only 155, heavier engine and older technology. The 1.8 is more fuel efficient and will easily break the speed limits in Thailand.

Previous Civic had 130 hp from 1.7l so the improvement is not that big. 2l engine was modified for the new Civic, it's not exactly the same block as was used in the previous model, or CRV.

It's torquier than before to better suit for everyday driving. And BMW 2l engine gives only 150hp.

But you have to give it Honda - their baseline, cheapest eninge is as powerful as top range Ford or Mazda with their so called sporty cars. Best value for money, without a doubt.

Hmm 1m :D .

.My Aunt was a good old girl, she used to take me down to the beach for a picnic in an old classic Morris Oxford. So forgetting about the new model options I think a bit of fun is in order.

Id import an ambassador from India. Ambassador.

As it's India It,s cheap. about 500,000 bht new for a top spec. Figure the tax would be low as it's India and an old car model. With the hopeful bonus that the import office does not want to take it off your hands cos it's a import. Im should cover it :D

Great fun car. Easy to work on, parts would be so cheap that importing them would not stint you. Your dodgy mechanic in the local bike shop could fix it it's so basic.

Totally original with classic status, a real head turner here with all the flash around. The young Thai's would realy love it, retro's quite cool atm

it's only a second car but would be cool as a runaround :o