Gmail Outage Affects Users Worldwide

News_Editor

Gmail outage affects users worldwide

2012-04-18 00:11:21 GMT+7 (ICT)

MENLO PARK, CALIFORNIA (BNO NEWS) -- A large number of users of the webmail service Gmail were unable to access their accounts on early Tuesday afternoon, according to users affected by the outage.

Google confirmed it is investigating a service disruption.The outage began at around 12:30 p.m. Eastern Time (EDT) when users started seeing a 'temporary error' message. "We're sorry, but your Gmail account is temporarily unavailable," the error message said. "We apologize for the inconvenience and suggest trying again in a few minutes."Google confirmed on its Apps Status Dashboard that it is investigating the service disruption, but did not indicate how many users are affected.

"We're investigating reports of an issue with Google Mail," a brief post said, without giving other details.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2012-04-18

4/18/12 12:18 AM PDT

Google: Our team is continuing to investigate this issue. We will provide an update by 4/18/12 1:18 AM with more information about this problem. Thank you for your patience.

This issue is affecting less than 2% of the Google Mail user base. The affected users are unable to access Google Mail.

Update: Seems to be working again for some, and Google has posted an update: "Google Mail service has already been restored for some users, and we expect a resolution for all users in the near future. Please note this time frame is an estimate and may change."

Gmail outage affects millions of users worldwide

Wed Apr 18 2012 00:39:13 GMT+0700 (ICT)

by BNO News

MENLO PARK, CALIFORNIA (BNO NEWS) — An estimated seven million users of the webmail service Gmail were unable to access their accounts on early Tuesday afternoon, Google said. Access to some accounts was restored within an hour.

The outage began at around 12:30 p.m. Eastern Time (EDT) when Gmail users started seeing a ‘temporary error’ message. “We’re sorry, but your Gmail account is temporarily unavailable,” the error message said. “We apologize for the inconvenience and suggest trying again in a few minutes.”

Google confirmed on its Apps Status Dashboard that it is investigating the service disruption which it said is affected less than two percent of its user base, or an estimated seven million accounts. “Google Mail service has already been restored for some users, and we expect a resolution for all users in the near future,” the company said in a brief update.

Gmail has approximately 350 million users worldwide.

tvn.png

-- 2012-04-18

Google Mail is so much better that everything out there publically. I'll give them an hour or two a year. Hell hotmail is down 3 times a week and nobody complains.

Most server companies quote >99% reliability....1% would be 87.6 hours per year....so gmail is forgiven by me..as is DTAC here in Thailand for its outages a few months ago.

You cannot expect 100% reliabilty from anything.

• Like 2

Google Mail is so much better that everything out there publically. I'll give them an hour or two a year. Hell hotmail is down 3 times a week and nobody complains.

That's because hotmail is provided by Microsoft and no-one expects anything better from Microsoft. rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

I love how this is now newsworthy, so many of us now dependent on such fragile global infrastructure.

How many of you have your valuable gmail archives backed up to a location under your control?

Thousands of people get completely locked out of the g-accounts due to hacking, everything inaccessible. Since it's free they don't have to listen to you B&M much. . .

Much better to take a little trouble (and maybe even spend a little money) to keep your valuable data safe.

Not even bringing up the privacy concerns. . .

I guess I was one of the lucky ones. My account was not affected. I also use Hotmail for kind of a junk account. I have to say that Hotmail has had more glitches in the past few days than Gmail has had in a number of years.

The latest Hotmail glitch is one that pops up at the top of the screen and says that Hotmail has been updated. It instructs you to refresh or sign out and back in. That does absolutely no good and you can't use the account when that notice is displayed.

I use both Gmail and Yahoo Mail daily and Yahoo is much better. Being able to open tabs for each email is very convenient and not having to look at the entire history of the email thread each time I open it is also a plus.

Must be a sloooooow news day today. Three different headings for this subject under world news. Maybe we need another sub forum called 'World not news'.

Not trying to be pedantic but, pedantically speaking, shouldn't that read..."Not World News"?wink.png

I use both Gmail and Yahoo Mail daily and Yahoo is much better.

I do as well and I guess it's personal preference, I like gmail with yahoo as a back up. No obvious problem, for me, with gmail today.

Must be a sloooooow news day today. Three different headings for this subject under world news. Maybe we need another sub forum called 'World not news'.

Not trying to be pedantic but, pedantically speaking, shouldn't that read..."Not World News"?wink.png

mmmm a good point! Strictly speaking it concerns a World-wide customer base, so maybe it should be World News.......NOT!, there bye giving it it's classification but then referring to its quality/importance on the grand scheme of things wink.png

Edited by GentlemanJim

I use both Gmail and Yahoo Mail daily and Yahoo is much better. Being able to open tabs for each email is very convenient and not having to look at the entire history of the email thread each time I open it is also a plus.

Of course whether you like Gmail, Hotmail or Yahoo or any other mail service for that matter is largely up to taste and temperament. Saying you don't like Gmail because of it's threaded view (whether emails of the same topic are grouped together) isn't really valid though, as you can just disable that feature (Settings > General (Tab) > Conversation View > Conversation view off).

I agree the tabbed view of Yahoo is handy, it would be nice if Gmail would add something like that.

Most server companies quote >99% reliability....1% would be 87.6 hours per year....so gmail is forgiven by me..as is DTAC here in Thailand for its outages a few months ago.

You cannot expect 100% reliabilty from anything.

Actually normally uptime guarantees like these are measured in the last 7 days. Of course many companies use the duration of their lifetime or a year because that gives them a huge number, but if you have any kind of a SLA you would be looking at 7 days rolling, i.e. a 99.9% uptime SLA would allow you about 10 min downtime a week.

That's because hotmail is provided by Microsoft and no-one expects anything better from Microsoft. rolleyes.gif

quite true clap2.gifcheesy.gif